IGNORED

Will Lansdown pull the trigger?

stephenkibby.

I swear Lansdown once done an interview(may have been with 20man?!) saying that close friendship with GJ affected his decision making whilst we were on a downer with he at the helm & Pete Johnson as chief scout. He said he learned a lot from that experience and would never let it happen again as it cost the club. I just wonder if maybe he hasn't learned from it after all. Perhaps we'll find out over the next 24-48 hours...

7 minutes ago, myol'man said:

it might have take another hammering like the 7-1 defeat at Swansea before the trigger gets pulled

Still in my top 3 lowest moments ever as a city fan at a game. Watching tinman on his own after final whistle was cruel. Great player, mangers job to soon.

After today . Collective despondency including downbeat LJ interview . Good signings , players comparatively s good as most mid table sides but today , no organisation . Forest , in corporate disarray outfought us . Our passing is cultured but fragile . We will be outdone by speed and aggression . One goal defeats ? It matters not . Still defeats . The cup tie is meaningless . I have always tried , in recent weeks to see the positives . Tonight I struggle and having just listened to LJ he sounded like a defeated man . Managerial quick fire changes don't always work . ( Allardyce at Palace , Zola at Birmingham ) .I thought Jamie Patterson's goal at Fleetwood may have given us a 1990 Mark Robbins moment . Sadly  not . 

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Not for at least 3 more games.

The FA-CUP game against Burnley doesn't really matter too much (Cue Andre Gray:()

The HOMES v Wednesday and Rotherham MASSIVE. 4 points minimum and he may hang on? 

The problem is its clear he's out of his depth and doesn't know what he's doing.  He will damage the club in the long term if we keep him.  He needs to go now.

Problem is if we keep him he will eventually win one game. And then it will be a case of "this is the turning point" blah de blah and he'll get a fresh run of games where yet again we'll go on a losing run.  Then he'll conjure up a flukey win and so on.  No progress will be made. 

7 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Bristol City is a wonderful football club with such fantastic potential, We're attracting nearly 20,000 fans to home games this season and for the first time in my lifetime i truly believed that we could be seeing a change of fortunes.. We seem to be getting it right in the scouting department to be fair and have been making some really decent signings, is it fair to say we have the most talented squad we've ever had?

The problem IMO is always the poor appointment of a manager who may be easy to manage (Maybe not Cotts)...

So heres a question for Steve Lansdown......When are we seriously going to shell out on a top, top manager who can take this club forward to where it deserves to be?... Its all thats missing!!

Spot on! So much feels right at the club right now - from scouting and recruitment to stadium and pies! The most important piece of the jigsaw was getting the right man for the job - imagine Monk in charge of this squad of players 

7 hours ago, mozo said:

I guess there's a substantial pay-off that might increase our owner's patience, plus the signing on of another gaffer.

Also, if MA hasn't identified suitable replacements yet, maybe SL is holding tight for the right person to show interest behind the scenes.

Maybe they don't trust Pembo as a caretaker.

Just some ideas.

I'm sure Ashton has a list of potential head coaches. He does n't strike me as one to let sentiment get in the way of business.

If we fail to progress he could lose his job .

6 hours ago, BS3rich said:

I swear Lansdown once done an interview(may have been with 20man?!) saying that close friendship with GJ affected his decision making whilst we were on a downer with he at the helm & Pete Johnson as chief scout. He said he learned a lot from that experience and would never let it happen again as it cost the club. I just wonder if maybe he hasn't learned from it after all. Perhaps we'll find out over the next 24-48 hours...

Its a most puzzling facet of SL's makeup-he doesn't appear to learn from mistakes made.I don't pretend to understand why this should be-if indeed its actually the case.very confusing.

Maybe this is part of the bigger problem/picture,running down through the very core of the club-indecisive,muddled leadership/decision making..I just feel there is so much more 'going on' than inept recruitment policy.

7 hours ago, Malbec said:

Well, you may be right but I've been drinking all night so what do I know.

However (you knew that was coming right :))... if spending money on a manager was the prime criteria for hiring said manager, explain the s*gs and their manager.

See I have this theory, long held and subject to no quantifying scrutiny whatsoever, that there are managers that 'fit' (for want of a better word) certain clubs.

Look at Pulis. Absolute ***** here and Portsmouth and yet a success in the Prem with WBA.

Look at at Eddie Howe, great at B'muff, ***** at Burnley, great at B'muff.

Look at Guardiola. Success everywhere until he turns up at MC . (Although that could ultimately change but are the owners prepared to afford him the time?)

The list is endless. That's why I say, 'it's a turkey shoot'.

(The following is a personal opinion). I don't believe that anyone knows who the best manager/head coach is for BCFC. Whoever is appointed has a 50/50 chance of being the right person.

Sack LJ and the next guy through the door (Rowett?) could prove to be an abject failure. He may, however, prove to be the right fit. Trouble is, no-one including SL knows for sure.

We either subscribe to the philosophy of backing our managers 100% (no matter what) or go the Cellino route of hire 'n' fire until you strike lucky.

To be honest I've no idea which is the correct way but then I don't own a football club.

Cellino appears to have ' struck lucky ', just saying.

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Not for at least 3 more games.

The FA-CUP game against Burnley doesn't really matter too much (Cue Andre Gray:()

The HOMES v Wednesday and Rotherham MASSIVE. 4 points minimum and he may hang on? 

Well if that is the case, then I give up.

That we are still debating this defies logic.

I hope that this is speculation, and you are not ITK.

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Well if that is the case, then I give up.

That we are still debating this defies logic.

Couldn't agree more. 

How nothing's been done about this debacle yet I'll never know. I saw Stockhausen and Rosenior implying in the Post the other day that we as a fan base are turning at the first sign of trouble. We've lost 13 out of our last 16 games. Many of those defeats against poor teams. Can they not see how disastrous that run is? 

If we don't get rid of him we'll be down without a whimper. 

Just now, Jacki said:

Couldn't agree more. 

How nothing's been done about this debacle yet I'll never know. I saw Stockhausen and Rosenior implying in the Post the other day that we as a fan base are turning at the first sign of trouble. We've lost 13 out of our last 16 games. Many of those defeats against poor teams. Can they not see how disastrous that run is? 

If we don't get rid of him we'll be down without a whimper. 

Roseniors comments are hardly worth the airtime they occupy. 

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

It's football old boys' kneejerk response. All rationality is dispensed with 'in the club'

His comments are painfully predictable on just about every subject. Fine if you are doing well, but when you need a decent critique they lack insight. 

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Roseniors comments are hardly worth the airtime they occupy. 

Totally agree. 

I was just taken aback by the fact they were implying this was a recent slump. We have been utterly abject now for over a third of a season. 

I agree with an earlier poster soo much else at the club feels right, I find LJ's press conferences enlightening and fully backed / could understand his appointment but it's just not working and he's in a mess,  i believe in the players so it must be the coach, I think SL will give him these next two home matches while they suss out a replacement for if and more likely when required.

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I like SL a lot, admire everything he has tried to do with our club and marvel at the stadium legacy he has provided. I never understood a year ago why he appointed LJ, but you have to sometimes give benefit of doubt and wish to proven wrong. Now the facts are laid bare, LJ is a total disaster, completely out of his depth despite having the greatest financial support of any City manager ever. In history. He has delivered another record, of straight defeats. There is no possible other outcome than to make a change or the credibility of Steve and MA comes into question. What on earth has LJ got on them that is making them so slow to move. The project is amazing, so much progress and such a great future but they have totally got wrong the person to drive it. We all need better and LJ needs to go away and build a career elsewhere and learn from his mistakes. 7 points from a possible 48 with 15m spent on 17 players is not a knee jerk reaction. Change is needed urgently or we will be back in L1 with the credibility of MA and SL in pieces. They don't come across to me as that stupid. They need to fire him tomorrow so someone can come in and try to save the season. 

very well said

1 minute ago, xerox6060 said:

I agree with an earlier poster soo much else at the club feels right, I find LJ's press conferences enlightening and fully backed / could understand his appointment but it's just not working and he's in a mess,  i believe in the players so it must be the coach, I think SL will give him these next two home matches while they suss out a replacement for if and more likely when required.

In a spiritual Sect type way ?

Am I missing out here ?

I tried to form a list of words to see how quickly I reached 'Enlightening' to describe them I've got

Waffling

Bull***t

Excuses

Bull***t (Again)

Confusing

Misleading

Lost

Predictable

Bull***t 

How far do I need to go ?

:blink:

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I like SL a lot, admire everything he has tried to do with our club and marvel at the stadium legacy he has provided. I never understood a year ago why he appointed LJ, but you have to sometimes give benefit of doubt and wish to proven wrong. Now the facts are laid bare, LJ is a total disaster, completely out of his depth despite having the greatest financial support of any City manager ever. In history. He has delivered another record, of straight defeats. There is no possible other outcome than to make a change or the credibility of Steve and MA comes into question. What on earth has LJ got on them that is making them so slow to move. The project is amazing, so much progress and such a great future but they have totally got wrong the person to drive it. We all need better and LJ needs to go away and build a career elsewhere and learn from his mistakes. 7 points from a possible 48 with 15m spent on 17 players is not a knee jerk reaction. Change is needed urgently or we will be back in L1 with the credibility of MA and SL in pieces. They don't come across to me as that stupid. They need to fire him tomorrow so someone can come in and try to save the season. 

As ever Paul, spoken not just as a fan but someone in a leadership position who has had to make the same tough decisions. Odd that there should be any doubt on this and hopefully the silence is down to activity to prepare for the change.

We often hear comments like "if this was a business" given the pedigree of the people at the top of our club. But if this was Hargreaves Lansdown would SL hire and persist with an MD who had no experience of achieving the goals set for him?

The storyline with LJ is continually nice guy out of his depth. I'm sure you've been there before with bringing through bright young staff and so have I - but you have to know where and when you leave yourself totally exposed by lack of experience. 

Archived