IGNORED

Are we good enough to repeat last season's finish?

Savino

So depressed about our current situation I thought I'd try to understand what's so different with our team composition now compared with the last few months of last season and the start of this season, and whether we're good enough to get out of jail again.

Broadly speaking, the team that saved us from relegation last season was as follows (record from 01 Feb 2016 : P17 W8 D3 L6 Pts 27 - top 6 form ) - O'Donnell, Matthews, Flint, Baker, Golbourne, Bryan, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Tomlin, Kodjia

Of these, only 2 started at Forest last week (Flint and Bryan) - of the rest, fact is that 2 of our top performers during that spell have been long-term injured (Smith, Matthews), another 2 have returned/been sold to Villa (Baker, Kodjia), and 2 more who contributed massively have lost form (Tomlin, O'Donnell - now gone).

During the past few months these departures, injuries and losses of form have collectively cost us, and for me, of the much heralded summer signings, only Tammy, Magners and lately Brownhill have impressed.

MA and the scouting team have reinforced/rebuilt the spine of the team with 4 decent signings (Giefer, Hegeler, Wright and Djuric) -  looking forward, we have to get Tomlin back playing in his best position, and include Reid, Pack and Golbourne (if we play 4 at the back) in the mix, and somehow try to keep Freeman. We also desperately need to sign a decent right back / wing-back in this window.

Sorry, but there's no place in my squad for Engvall, Wilbraham, O'Dowda or Paterson - too early or not good enough.

So with Fielding as back-up keeper, that's 16 players (plus O'Neil and Little if/when fit) who, on paper, look like they're good enough to replicate last season's achievement - we'll see!

I deliberately haven't mentioned manager and tactics, but pretty much that is his record from last season - just saying.

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

What makes it so frustrating is when I look at what I consider to be our best team, for the life of me I cant understand why we find ourselves in this situation in the first place

I think you will find it has something to do with an inexperienced & confused coach draining confidence from players by an inconsistent formation & selection policy.

Of you go for the Steve Lansdown option that LJ is just the unluckiest manager we have ever known.....

And if we all wait long enough his luck will turn...

In League 1!

Strangest thing for me is the injury list - in the last 2 full seasons I only remember Little and Ayling being out, this season it's like the BRI down there!

Add the form issues and I think he's just been unable to fix it, panicked and come up with some very questionable line-ups, tactics and substitutions.

9 minutes ago, Savino said:

Strangest thing for me is the injury list - in the last 2 full seasons I only remember Little and Ayling being out, this season it's like the BRI down there!

Add the form issues and I think he's just been unable to fix it, panicked and come up with some very questionable line-ups, tactics and substitutions.

Strangely all over the football world, when a team is struggling or the squad have little faith in their manager more injuries 'appear'.

Certainly not unique to BCFC or LJ.

The days of players needing their appearance money or win bonus to pay the bills are long gone at this level and above.

It's actually a sad state of affairs that after the investment put in this season to all things on and off the pitch, we even have to have this discussion. We really should not be needing to produce x amount of wins to assure our Championship position. I had hoped this kind of discussion would have been had regarding a play off place/ high placed finish instead!

The squad and starting 11 is stronger than this time last season and we have the same manager that managed to pull it off, so on paper.....yes of course.

However last season we weren't coming off the back of 8 straight league defeats. We had a new manager 'bounce' and a marquee loan signing dragging the confidence of the whole team up.

What is going to change our fortunes this time around? A morale and confidence boosting performance at Burnley? Or is it hoping there are 3 worse teams than us (which I think there are).

We've still got: Rotherham, Burton, Wolves & QPR at home and Wigan & Blackburn away. At this point in the season and the position we're in, taking points off those teams around us in the league is essential.

5 hours ago, KingLear said:

The squad and starting 11 is stronger than this time last season and we have the same manager that managed to pull it off, so on paper.....yes of course.

However last season we weren't coming off the back of 8 straight league defeats. We had a new manager 'bounce' and a marquee loan signing dragging the confidence of the whole team up.

What is going to change our fortunes this time around? A morale and confidence boosting performance at Burnley? Or is it hoping there are 3 worse teams than us (which I think there are).

We've still got: Rotherham, Burton, Wolves & QPR at home and Wigan & Blackburn away. At this point in the season and the position we're in, taking points off those teams around us in the league is essential.

The opposition seems to have sussed out our loanee goalscorer though and shuts down our chances of scoring. We are missing a striker currently from last year....

Before last night's game v Leeds, the Forrest boss told the viewers "We are not in a relegation fight and we have a good enough squad to climb up this League".

I believe City have slumped too much, but like Forest we also have a decent squad, but for some reason, it just aint clicking.

21 hours ago, KingLear said:

If they gave us a 2 goal start I wouldn't put money on us winning atm

Archived