IGNORED

Downs League

Mr X

I do know that when City were in the old first division with Billy Wedlock, City went to the big fair on The Downs.

The City goalie took shots from the public. My grandfather beat him three times in succession from the penalty spot (he played twice a week for two local teams as a centre forward). He was then approached by City, but those were the days of set wage and so grandfather working in the family business in Kingswood declined.

He certainly wouldn't have today!  I think a part of him always regretted it. 

41 minutes ago, Mr X said:

What's the standard like of the league/s at the Downs as I've never watched a game there myself. I've been told historically City and Rovers even used to scout there! 

terrible.

The Downs league used to be the lowest possible level of the Englisgh football pyramid until recent times when it broke off from the pyramid altogether!

There may be some decent players up there but the downs is a self-contained league now. You can't be promoted out of it, nor relegated into it, at least not in the conventional sense of what promotion and relegation means in football to the common supporter.

It is therefore imo the footballing equivalent of purgatory.

23 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

The Downs league used to be the lowest possible level of the Englisgh football pyramid until recent times when it broke off from the pyramid altogether!

There may be some decent players up there but the downs is a self-contained league now. You can't be promoted out of it, nor relegated into it, at least not in the conventional sense of what promotion and relegation means in football to the common supporter.

It is therefore imo the footballing equivalent of purgatory.

Not helped by small bumpy pitches. 

Any player with lofty ambitions would see The Downs as a nice place to stroll around on a summers day. 

It's great, but the standard is variable. It's brilliant if you don't want to schlep around Bristol every other weekend,as all the games are played on the various parts of the Downs. Some pitches are better than others but I can tell you from bitter experience that a game down by the Sea Walls on a cold, windy and rainy day is the stuff of footballing nightmares. 

It is - however - a great footballing community with some very long established clubs playing there with passionate and selfless volunteers running them. 

As you may guess, I used to play up there, proudly representing Old Cothamians/Cotham Old Boys. I have the trophies to prove it, too!

Very fond memories. 

I played in a Sneyd Park team once with an England international, cricketer David Allen and also Tony Brown of Glos CCC.

Confirm Tony Cook was signed from a Downs League side. This Wiki page also mentions Syd Morgan, Con Sullivan and Bob Anderson the four keepers I remember from 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Cook_(footballer,_born_1929)

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

What's the standard like of the league/s at the Downs as I've never watched a game there myself. I've been told historically City and Rovers even used to scout there! 

Think a Gas game but better :robbored:

Never ever played in the downs league but played in Glos cup games against downs league teams up the downs if that makes sense. There seems to be some decent teams in the top division after that though they all seem pretty average and the bottom division is completely shocking standard. (including the refs) watched a game up there a couple months ago and its 1nil in the 89th minute. Losing team gets a corner takes it and the goalkeeper catches it with both hands but gets pushed in the net by losing team player so the ref awards the goal :blink:

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I played in a Sneyd Park team once with an England international, cricketer David Allen and also Tony Brown of Glos CCC.

Confirm Tony Cook was signed from a Downs League side. This Wiki page also mentions Syd Morgan, Con Sullivan and Bob Anderson the four keepers I remember from 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Cook_(footballer,_born_1929)

Sneyd Park!!!!!! Boo!!!!!!

I graced the shirt of Sneyd Park. Shades of red and blue? Got changed in a pub if I recall correctly, which was handy post match. Then transferred to Conham Rangers for a packet of Smarties. 

Good times, except for the b******ings when I went AWOL when City were at home against anyone worthwhile! 

6 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Just stand outside the changing rooms with a pair of boots in your hands and you are practically guaranteed a game.

LJ's selection process I reckon.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I played half a dozen games for Clifton Rockets with some mates from my cricket club.

We were a very good team.....socially!!!

I used to run the Rockets First team in Div one . Top at New Year then it went a little LJ!!

Good days had top lads from South Bristol all  had played Toolstation. Geoff Gardner secretary legend. 

Went onto ref on the downs and what they had was Corinthian spirit. Decent teams. Not as bad as made out, Bristol and Avon league far worse 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

I used to run the Rockets First team in Div one . Top at New Year then it went a little LJ!!

Good days had top lads from South Bristol all  had played Toolstation. Geoff Gardner secretary legend. 

Went onto ref on the downs and what they had was Corinthian spirit. Decent teams. Not as bad as made out, Bristol and Avon league far worse 

I was mates with Oggy, Butch, Bucz, Dave Perryman from cricket.  Remember Geoff too.  Must've been around 1990...I was in between clubs (I had a few!!).  I didn't enjoy the football much, but we had a good laugh in The Greyhound.

I do recall stuffing Downend 5 in the GFA Cup.  I knew their striker, he used to come into where I worked, and he was talking about it being cricket score.  They were a tidy local side at the time.  We beat them 4-1, Dave "Gilly" Gilbert scored 3.  They were shocked.  I left after that game.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I was mates with Oggy, Butch, Bucz, Dave Perryman from cricket.  Remember Geoff too.  Must've been around 1990...I was in between clubs (I had a few!!).  I didn't enjoy the football much, but we had a good laugh in The Greyhound.

I do recall stuffing Downend 5 in the GFA Cup.  I knew their striker, he used to come into where I worked, and he was talking about it being cricket score.  They were a tidy local side at the time.  We beat them 4-1, Dave "Gilly" Gilbert scored 3.  They were shocked.  I left after that game.

I know them lads . That was the glory days . Kev Shaw got me involved. Had some proper socials in and around Whiteladies very messy. Manager before me was an Italian guy with a nice moustache!!

1 minute ago, shelts said:

I know them lads . That was the glory days . Kev Shaw got me involved. Had some proper socials in and around Whiteladies very messy. Manager before me was an Italian guy with a nice moustache!!

John Deulias (sounded like Julius but spelt something like that)....he played when I did.  He had a restaurant on The Mall I think.  I see him from time to time. Nice chap.  Neil Filer....now there was a character!  Didn't know Kev Shaw.

Archived