IGNORED

Avon & Somerset Police 'snake' comment.

freezer

Although I can see that the police were trying their hand at humouring the situation I believe it to be ill judged. Tempers have been frayed and we all know that idiots exist in the community who vent their fury through issuing threats that they sometimes enact. The police should not call a law abiding member of the community they are tasked with protecting such an inflammatory name, even if it is in jest. We all know that what one person finds funny another can take the wrong way and actually see it as official endorsement of their vitriol.

If, and I sincerely hope this never happens, Matty Taylor is ever the subject of an attack then it won't look too clever for the local force, tasked with protecting him, that they seemingly joined in with the abuse levelled at him.

It is fine for those who are saying that it was only a harmless bit of fun for they are not Matty Taylor. If you can honestly say that if you one day discovered that A&S Police had implied on social media that you were a snake and you could laugh it off then great. Myself, I would be infuriated that it had come from such a quarter and if I was already the target of abuse from sections of the community I would be expecting quite the opposite reaction from them and would seek redress.

Once again, I can see that their intention was to have a bit of fun and get a bit of Street credit, however, they are the police. It is not their job to do that. It was unprofessional. 

36 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Not offended by it , just think the Old Bill shouldn't be wasting their time tweeting this shite, when they have better things to do.

You think they are better served to respond to questions about the tweet from an anonymous user, intent on making a mountain out of a molehill..?! 

Also your question wasn't "why are you wasting valuable crime fighting time (all 30 seconds of it)"

You were getting all precious about a light hearted tweet, which in reality, mocked Rovers fans far more than it took a dig at Matty Taylor. 

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Didn't look like that to me, Peter.

Despite the conciliatory message at the end of the tweet, it was clearly the work of some irked Gashead on their media team.

At a time when the police have got to waste resources protecting Taylor and his family from cretins who use the same language as was used in the tweet, it is - at the minimum - incredibly ill-judged.

Precisely, they are helping create an atmosphere of hatred towards Matty Taylor by using such inflammatory language.

Also the person who said I'm wasting my time on this thread, well it's my time, it's my day off today , I don't post in my works time unlike the Police posting in an official police twitter account in police time .

So next time your waiting 4 hours for the police to turn up to an incident part of the reason that they may be dicking about on Facebook.

49 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Not offended by it , just think the Old Bill shouldn't be wasting their time tweeting this shite, when they have better things to do.

Ironic you saying about wasting police time on a tweet & you are asking a police officer to comment on a public forum. Just a joke whether funny or not it's really not a big deal - let's just laugh at the whole of the football community taking the piss out the gas shall we

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

What do you think of your colleagues calling a law abiding citizen a snake on social media?

My opinion is, it is completely unprofessional from a so called professional Police service.

At the moment Avon and Somerset has a poor reputation, what with the saga /fiasco of you recently departed Chief Constable and officer going around tasering pensions, tweets like this about Matt T just bring the force into disrepute.

You're embarrassing yourself.  You don't need to be a special little easily offended flower.  Save the complaints for something actually worth complaining about - there is plenty.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What a massive overreaction to a harmless joke. 

I think it's something to do with the fact local media have nothing better to report.

i used to have a colleague who moved from London and he would joke that the local news  would send a reporter to do a live report if a hedgehog got ran over because not much happened here.

18 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Also the person who said I'm wasting my time on this thread, well it's my time, it's my day off today , I don't post in my works time unlike the Police posting in an official police twitter account in police time .

So next time your waiting 4 hours for the police to turn up to an incident part of the reason that they may be dicking about on Facebook.

But it's unknown that they posted it in police time. 

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Bless them-maybe they should work harder to ensure the intelligence that they act upon is correct,rather than piss around on 'Twitter'..

Are we allowed now to refer to A&S police as snakes??

A&S Police has a Communications team whose job it is to impart external messaging on behalf of the service using various media including Twitter. Some people on here seem to think a bobby on the beat has taken it upon himself to waste the time he could spend fighting crime by 'pissing about on Twitter.'

However you viewed the tweet, it was someone doing their job, not someone doing something that isn't part of their job.

It's a bit like telling a military chef to stop cooking food for the troops and get out and fight....

I thought the police statement/tweet was a bit of fun and showed them in a good light wanting to join in the banter on a day when something significant happened involving the City's two football clubs with which they work.

I can see why people think it was ill-judged but I chuckled at it and thought it was good to see the police engage with the public in a harmless, light-hearted manner on a subject that is hugely irrelevant to the vast majority of Bristolians...

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A&S Police has a Communications team whose job it is to impart external messaging on behalf of the service using various media including Twitter. Some people on here seem to think a bobby on the beat has taken it upon himself to waste the time he could spend fighting crime by 'pissing about on Twitter.'

However you viewed the tweet, it was someone doing their job, not someone doing something that isn't part of their job.

It's a bit like telling a military chef to stop cooking food for the troops and get out and fight....

I thought the police statement/tweet was a bit of fun and showed them in a good light wanting to join in the banter on a day when something significant happened involving the City's two football clubs with which they work.

I can see why people think it was ill-judged but I chuckled at it and thought it was good to see the police engage with the public in a harmless, light-hearted manner on a subject that is hugely irrelevant to the vast majority of Bristolians...

Soldier first-chef after..

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Will someone start a poll on this please.

Be great to know what the full city fan base feel about this.

My feeling is it has damaged relations between our club and the police beyond repair!!!

Yes good idea shall we start another thread?

16 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Is anyone else wondering what @redeye thinks about this?

He liked being offended on everyone's behalf

I think a few people just need to put their big boy pants on and get on with it

'Redeye' was never a genuine poster.

Always accusing others of alcohol abuse, same name as an alcoholic in a song by the Beautiful South.

The saddest aspect of all this is once again the previous good name of poor reptiles is being dragged into the dirt. I have never heard of an instance where a domestic snake has left its owner and then curled up with its previous owner's avowed enemy leaving that previous owner with a few peanuts as compensation. Yet when a footballer moves across the divide he is called a snake?

Furthermore, I haven't ever heard of lizards frequenting bars trying to pick up dates by making themselves out to be something they aren't and I dare say that had the internet etc existed 65 million years ago that the dinosaurs would've given it a bash. It's a good job snakes, lizards and dinosaurs aren't litigious types otherwise we would all be out of pocket!

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

It was tongue in cheek. No one kicked off when @FirstBSA on twitter posted 'Spotted Matty Taylor has bought a single from Filton Ave to Ashton Gate on the 71'.

No one said perhaps First should have directed their efforts into ensuring their buses run to time. 

That was funnier because it didn't insult Taylor or use vocab that could fan the flames. My only issue with that is it is cheaper to get a day rider than a single, but it wouldn't sound so funny if day rider had been used, so they can be forgiven.

12 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

It was tongue in cheek. No one kicked off when @FirstBSA on twitter posted 'Spotted Matty Taylor has bought a single from Filton Ave to Ashton Gate on the 71'.

No one said perhaps First should have directed their efforts into ensuring their buses run to time. 

Indeed, we all knew there was no chance of that. 

Archived