IGNORED

Spine of the Team

Lots of debate about formations and team line ups on here. Clearly we (as well as LJ it would seem) can go round and round in circles picking a team.

It could be argued that we need to pick a strong spine of core regular starters who should be the most consistent players. Maybe 6 or 7 who should start if fit, leaving 3-4 positions to change each game depending on form/fitness/opposition formation etc.

For me the spine would be:

Giefer: mixed start, give him a run of games. Need a keeper to start petforming.

Flint: close between him and Hordur. Flints aerial ability wins it

Wright: been a revelation. Solid, leader

Heggeler: 1st name on team sheet

Brownhill: difficult choice. Need energy with Hegs and has really kicked on as season has progressed

Tammy: goal threat. Record speaks for itself. Debate as whether to play him up on his own or not.

Cotterill: think he will be a key player for the remainder of the season. Good delivery and lots of Championship nous.

Other players dependant on formation/fitness. leaves us a strong bench.

Who woulf everyone else have as their core spine?

Tin hat on:ph34r:

Depends on who you are playing. Teams at the bottom will frustrate and not play football.Teams going for the play offs or higher play more progressive football.it would be nice to see more pairs working together. eg. 2 central defenders. Full backs and wide players, central midfielders and two strikers. Of course its more difficult with three at the back or where to play Tomlin?It used to be so simple with man to man marking! Now we don't even know whose marking the hole!

42 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Depends on who you are playing. Teams at the bottom will frustrate and not play football.Teams going for the play offs or higher play more progressive football.it would be nice to see more pairs working together. eg. 2 central defenders. Full backs and wide players, central midfielders and two strikers. Of course its more difficult with three at the back or where to play Tomlin?It used to be so simple with man to man marking! Now we don't even know whose marking the hole!

Quite right. The Tomlin dilemma is a central problem for Johnson. 

He can't play him wide and really his only position is just behind a striker or strikers. When he's on song he's unplayable,  just sublime. When the magic isn't there, as in yesterday, he can be the worst player on the pitch.

Reid, Paterson,  Brownhill,  Bryan, even Hegeler can all play in that advanced central mf role,  but the problem is would you start them, when you have a potential match-winner in LT there. And how long do you give him if he's having an off game.

Thought Cotterill was the best player on the park yesterday.  I really like Magnusson too and was dissapointed he didnt play.  Tomlin is a bit of an enigma.

Would have preferred Tammy alongside Djoric, bur equally wanted to see what Taylor had to offer.

Hard to judge performance on yestetdays game as Rotjerham were poor, but we were not much better and dont seem to know what to do with the ball when we get it and cant seem to break teams down.

Can only hope it gets better as the new personnel gel.

If he is going to continue to tinker I just wonder about utilising TA wide in a three - Have heard him in interview say that he can and has played up,top alone, in a two or even wide in a three (a la Welbeck)

4-3-3 with DC & TA either side of ? MD anyone

Both DC & TAs work ethic would see them dropping to,form a midfield 5 when we are out of possession

TA Can join in from left hand side , as Welbeck has done effectively for England

Take your pick for the three central midfielders , you might even be able to,accommodate a LT (IF fit and firing) in there 

Less onus on the full backs to get forward to,provide the width and hence a more solid back four

Anyone ?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Quite right. The Tomlin dilemma is a central problem for Johnson. 

He can't play him wide and really his only position is just behind a striker or strikers. When he's on song he's unplayable,  just sublime. When the magic isn't there, as in yesterday, he can be the worst player on the pitch.

Reid, Paterson,  Brownhill,  Bryan, even Hegeler can all play in that advanced central mf role,  but the problem is would you start them, when you have a potential match-winner in LT there. And how long do you give him if he's having an off game.

I would without hesitation. Consistency is what we need, LT cannot deliver it. Give me a player who's a 7 out of 10 regularly than Tomlin who's an occasional 10 but often sub 5. 

30 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I would without hesitation. Consistency is what we need, LT cannot deliver it. Give me a player who's a 7 out of 10 regularly than Tomlin who's an occasional 10 but often sub 5. 

Yep. And in that respects he reminds me of "the JET dilemma".

37 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If he is going to continue to tinker I just wonder about utilising TA wide in a three - Have heard him in interview say that he can and has played up,top alone, in a two or even wide in a three (a la Welbeck)

4-3-3 with DC & TA either side of ? MD anyone

Both DC & TAs work ethic would see them dropping to,form a midfield 5 when we are out of possession

TA Can join in from left hand side , as Welbeck has done effectively for England

Take your pick for the three central midfielders , you might even be able to,accommodate a LT (IF fit and firing) in there 

Less onus on the full backs to get forward to,provide the width and hence a more solid back four

Anyone ?

When we were first linked with Tammy, i watched the England under 19 games closely, and he was playing wide right of a front 3 then. So yeah i could see this working and like you say him and Cotterill have got the work ethic to drop into make a midfield 5. I quite like it.

Archived