IGNORED

City's best full backs

Super

7 hours ago, Super said:

Clearly an area we are struggling with in recent years! just wondered what are the best ones in your years of watching City?

I always liked watching Martin Scott. However, Darren Barnard and Jim Brennan went on to play in the premier league. I believe we sold Barnard for £750,000 and Brennan for 1.5 million. 

I've been watching since 1969. For me our best full back was Brian Drysdale.

Looking back though; the 1952 signing Jack White played 225 games. Initially as a half back, later as a right back.

When City played Blackpool in the Cup in 1959 Stanley Matthews failed to score and struggled to even pass the ball both at AG and in the replay because he was marked by Mike Thresher.

Presumably Tuft & James the 1905-06 full backs were a useful pair. 28 goals conceded in 38 games.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

I've been watching since 1969. For me our best full back was Brian Drysdale.

Looking back though; the 1952 signing Jack White played 225 games. Initially as a half back, later as a right back.

When City played Blackpool in the Cup in 1959 Stanley Matthews failed to score and struggled to even pass the ball both at AG and in the replay because he was marked by Mike Thresher.

Presumably Tuft & James the 1905-06 full backs were a useful pair. 28 goals conceded in 38 games.

If memory serves right White played centre half or am I remembering incorrectly?

31 minutes ago, glastonred said:

For me it probably has to be Bradley Orr and Mickey Bell. However I don't think anybody has mentioned Adam Locke, who I thought was an excellent full back. Anybody know what ever happened to him?

At the risk of this thread branching off at a tangent -.he's a Tree Surgeon.

21 minutes ago, 22A said:

Peter Godsiff's history of City states White played in all three centre half positions and at right back.

Thanks never remember seeing him at fullback.

I do know his brother was a centre forward in the old first division, I think with Newcastle.  We often used to say we wish we had the brother at City!

As others have said there is no droubt that Mike Thresher was our greatest ever Left Back.

Every winger was shoulder charged by MT over the line the first time he got the ball and they never came back for more.

As Norman Hunter said hit them in the first few minutes and the ref will do nothing.

Left back: Bell

Right back: Orr

Would have to say fullback has been one of our better positions over the years with Llewellyn, Scott, Barnard, Bell, Locke, Brennan, Carey (played rb with murray under wilson), Orr, Cunningham and even Ayling who was brilliant for us in L1. Not to forget McAllister who was just solid for us under LJ at LB.

Archived