IGNORED

OTIB's all-time XI - Goalkeeper

Benjam!n Ultra

17 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Jan Muller without doubt, but as another poster said here such a short time. So Keith Welch for me.  And he is still in local area.

Any of the names mentioned in this thread would blow away what we currently have.  It's strange that we have such average keepers at present. 

2 words. Calamity James.

Difficult because I'm basing this on a lot of youtube footage I've watched a rewatched many, many times, but it looks to me that from the modern-era Keith Welch should win this.

Difficult with GK's as you have to ask would some of the keepers mentioned in this thread cope with the modern ball, the pass-back rule and changes to the offside law (i.e. inactive/active with play, line of sight and all that jazz).  Then again, if you could catch a saturated leather ball on a cold, wet Tuesday night at Eastville away, you could catch anything!

Anyway, back to Welchy he edges it over Basso for me because he oozed coolness on the ball in an era where the pass-back was a relatively novel change to the game (and many keepers had their careers ended by it - Brian Parkin for example). Basso was notorious for having feet like spanners, despite being a phenomenal influence on the fans and team spirit.

Also considering Keith's current health issues, I feel he should receive the all time #1 jersey as a badge of honour from the club.

How on earth can you have a poll on City's best all-time XI / goalkeeper when nobody has watched City's since  it was formed over 100 years ago? The poll will just reflect the demographic of the forum - i e older members will vote for people who have played scince the 50s / 60s, whilst younger ones will only vote for those who have played in the last 10-20 years. Crazy

39 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

How on earth can you have a poll on City's best all-time XI / goalkeeper when nobody has watched City's since  it was formed over 100 years ago? The poll will just reflect the demographic of the forum - i e older members will vote for people who have played since the 50s / 60s, whilst younger ones will only vote for those who have played in the last 10-20 years. Crazy

Of course you're right.  But shush anyway.  It's a bit of fun.

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Difficult because I'm basing this on a lot of youtube footage I've watched a rewatched many, many times, but it looks to me that from the modern-era Keith Welch should win this.

Difficult with GK's as you have to ask would some of the keepers mentioned in this thread cope with the modern ball, the pass-back rule and changes to the offside law (i.e. inactive/active with play, line of sight and all that jazz).  Then again, if you could catch a saturated leather ball on a cold, wet Tuesday night at Eastville away, you could catch anything!

Anyway, back to Welchy he edges it over Basso for me because he oozed coolness on the ball in an era where the pass-back was a relatively novel change to the game (and many keepers had their careers ended by it - Brian Parkin for example). Basso was notorious for having feet like spanners, despite being a phenomenal influence on the fans and team spirit.

Also considering Keith's current health issues, I feel he should receive the all time #1 jersey as a badge of honour from the club.

Liked Welchy. I don't believe he made a diving save in our promotion season though 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

How on earth can you have a poll on City's best all-time XI / goalkeeper when nobody has watched City's since  it was formed over 100 years ago? The poll will just reflect the demographic of the forum - i e older members will vote for people who have played scince the 50s / 60s, whilst younger ones will only vote for those who have played in the last 10-20 years. Crazy

Yeh really crazy this. Insane almost. 

6 hours ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

And Andy Leaning was a very decent shot stopper on his day.

I said on a similar thread a while back the best individual goalkeeping display Ive ever seen was Andy Leaning away at Oxford in the cup mid 80's. Great bloke in terms of his recognition of the fans too. 

Archived