IGNORED

Fa Cup

Shaun1

26 minutes ago, Shaun1 said:

Surely it's about time a champions league place was awarded to the winner.  It would stop reserve football being played on prime tv.

Never going to happen mate. You`ve only got to look at how pissed off the `big boys` were when Leicester won the league and deprived one of their little closed shop of a place in the `only have to finish somewhere near the top` league.

The FA will never do anything that might prevent one of their club of golden boys qualifying for it.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just tell clubs they cannot enter unless they ensure x% of fielded players have featured in the previous league games. 

I agree with that its what they do in the Johnsons paint trophy.

Its the fans that suffer, travelling all over the country to see your reserves get beaten when you know your 1st team wins easily.

I think the FA needs to make it more appealing to win whether that means a CL place or more prize money. Big teams haven't took the FA cup seriously for years....now teams like Derby and Leeds 'rest' players for league games!

10 minutes ago, Super said:

Sure they said earlier the winner gets only1.5m. Hardly a surprise nobody really cares.

Might as well have a competition comparing bank balances and we won't need to bother with  the annoyance of playing football at all. 

I thought we were in football to win silverware and create history. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Might as well have a competition comparing bank balances and we won't need to bother with  the annoyance of playing football at all. 

I thought we were in football to win silverware and create history. 

I agree with you but the cost of relegation and money promotion brings mean clubs really dont care about domestic cups.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I agree with you but the cost of relegation and money promotion brings mean clubs really dont care about domestic cups.

Which is a shame. If money matters that much, maybe they should run a proper business. 

Whichever division you are in, you give every last penny to the players anyway. 

10 hours ago, yardy said:

I agree with that its what they do in the Johnsons paint trophy.

Its the fans that suffer, travelling all over the country to see your reserves get beaten when you know your 1st team wins easily.

I think the FA needs to make it more appealing to win whether that means a CL place or more prize money. Big teams haven't took the FA cup seriously for years....now teams like Derby and Leeds 'rest' players for league games!

Forcing managers to sub players after 30 seconds to pretty much flout the rules...

The FA have to take a big slice of the blame for the decline of the FA Cup.

Back in the 80's, before I really got into Football, the cup was the one game everyone watched. ITV and the BBC would cover just about every aspect of the day from the teams having breakfast at their hotel, travelling to Wembley etc.

Even the teams getting their cup final suits fitted was a national TV event.

The cup was always the last match of the season and a major event. Even if you were a neutral, you picked a side.

These days, the coverage is minimal, the kick off timed to appeal to foreign markets and it's not even the showcase final game of the season.

In chasing the money the FA have managed to devalue their own product.

The FA Cup has died a slow lingering death and it makes me want to cry, genuinely. Growing up in the 1980s the FA cup meant more than the league. Teams would ensure their very best eleven was available for the cup. Crowds were also bigger for FA cup ties, City often had bigger gates for FA cup ties than would turn up for league games. Now clubs disrespect it and I personally find it upsetting. City played weakened teams against Fleetwood and Burnley.

The question why? Well there are a number of reasons -

1. The growth of the Premier league and the huge financial rewards that dwarf the FA cup money.

2. Increased European places and huge financial rewards of being in Europe.

3. The success of the play offs, giving cup tie experience, Wembley visits and with a higher division also at stake.

4. Huge increase in foreign managers and players who come from countries where the cup is definitely a lesser competition.

5. All of the above plus weakened teams meaning smaller gates and ties have less of a cup tie feel about them.

6 there are other reasons - Man Utd pulling out, the draw being moved, ties being played over 4-5 days, so many live matches on the box that Cup final viewing is no longer a 'special event' etc.

so what needs to be done? (I know this won't happen)

1. Champions league spot for the FA cup winners.

2. Some regulation to prevent teams from playing weakened teams.

3. Increase in prize money at each stage.

4. Scrap the league cup, reducing fixtures and making the FA Cup the unopposed premier cup competition.

if that is not done they may as well scrap the JPT and make the FA cup a competition for the Championship clubs down as the Premier League clubs are showing it such disregard it is embarrassing having them in the competition.

I know some of this will be a result of me getting older, but thinking back I could remember every cup final, the winners and the scores and watched religiously.

I really struggle to remember the winners, let along the finalists over the last 15 years or so, but can still remember Spurs v Leicester final in the 60s, Howard Kendall becoming the youngest player in a final for Preston, also back in the 60s. Mike Jones's headed winner for Leeds and Chelsea's replay win v Leeds, Sunderland's epic win , also against all conquering Leeds and could go on.

I am sure that the advent of the premier league, and it's wall to wall coverage, as played a part in diluting the impact of the FA Cup but of course the fact that top clubs now treat it as of secondary importance has a major impact as well. Back in the day, every final had it's story, whereas it seems to me that today's cup final stories have to be manufactured. 

Last night's game is a case in point. The winner meets Millwall , which must mean a great chance of getting though to the sharp end of the competition yet both teams put out almost reserve teams. Derby I could understand , as they meed to be at their best to meet mighty Bristol City at the week-end!

For my generation the FA Cup was a real highlight, primarily because the final was the only chance to see live football on the telly, but back then winning the Cup really meant something for fans  and clubs alike. Perhaps if I was 10 again I would  feel the same excitement and I hope that today's 10 year olds still  do. 

Daft thing is that although entry to the JPT (or latest sponsor) is compulsory for teams in Leagues one & two, clubs have to apply to play in the FA cup.

Last night the studio experts were discussing the devalued FA Cup. Winning the Prem and qualifying for Europe lands you ten times the cash winning the FA Cup does. Both of last night's managers had said they didn't want a replay and would be happy to have ET and pens at the end of the original game.

Look.

If you want proper teams put out in the Cup's, make the prize money £2B.

There would be a feeding frenzy, and you would find Cheltenham and Blythe Spartans going hammer and tong for the Premier League title and Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool in league 2.

Money talks.

tfj

Just a thought. The FA Vase is for Amateur teams and the FA Trophy for professional and strong amateur teams outside the League. Do any of the National League clubs ever field a weakened team if only playing Southern League oppos in the Trophy?

42 minutes ago, 22A said:

Just a thought. The FA Vase is for Amateur teams and the FA Trophy for professional and strong amateur teams outside the League. Do any of the National League clubs ever field a weakened team if only playing Southern League oppos in the Trophy?

@Miah Dennehy or @In the Net could probably answer that. Bath City wasn't it...?!!

For me, the FA Cup should have a Champions League place attached to it, but that will never happen.

So then, we have to look at making it more attractive for the big boys to compete for. 

Making it a sponsored competition as it is until 2018 is a good idea, as that will drive up corporate interest and consequently prize money. Increasing corporate interest in the competition will then make it more marketable, and hopefully generate a stronger brand identity - as has happened with the Premier League. 

Ooh er... came over all Mark Ashton then. Someone help me...

Anyway we may not like it, but it might be necessary for a private TV company to take ALL the FA Cup rights to increase investment into the competition. At least then we're beginning to talk serious money because of the lucrative nature of any ties beyond the fourth round. 

I don't know what the current prize money is for the FA Cup, but I believe it's around £1.8 million. Compare that with the Premier League (£90+ million) and the Champions League (£25+million) and it's not hard to see how the FA Cup can be made attractive for your Arsenals, Chelskis, Manures etc etc

Winners: £10.8 million

Runner Up: £5.4 million

Semi Finalists: £2.7 million

This would be a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Honiton Tony said:

The FA cup has had it's day and they should just scrap it and stop this long drawn out death

As someone further up the page said, scrap the league cup. The FA cup would then be the only cup competition ( except for the freight rover cup or whatever its called this week ) and hopefully get taken more seriously.

It really is a shame, as others have said the FA cup final used to be the biggest day of the year when a lot of us were younger.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

As someone further up the page said, scrap the league cup. The FA cup would then be the only cup competition ( except for the freight rover cup or whatever its called this week ) and hopefully get taken more seriously.

It really is a shame, as others have said the FA cup final used to be the biggest day of the year when a lot of us were younger.

And it's a crying shame to see what it has turned into

Archived