IGNORED

Team for Fulham

old_eastender

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Provided Tomlin can put a really good shift in I'd go for the OP line up, although tbh have my doubts as Tomlin is so inconsistent.

IMG_9629.JPG

Possibly only change to this for me would be GON (if fit) in for Hegeler...not a reflection on him as I do think he is a very good player but would like us to play a high tempo tonight. Not sure Hegeler and GON would work together and I like Brownhill's energy. Hopefully Tommo is on it tonight to link up with Taylor and Cotts and JB can get some good deliveries into Djuric. 

7 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Understand the changing of players (in moderation) but don't want to see anymore messing around with the starting formation 4-4-2 for me or ok 4-4-1-1 in tough away games.

I tend to agree and 4-4-2 is something that players apparently understand the best. The trouble is with our squad, 4-4-2 means the likes of Vyner, Matthews,Goldbourne, Little (when fit) have to play in some guise and it means a 'left back' (ish) in Bryan playing left midfield,  are they good enough? Also means Mags can't get in. We have Tomlin, Paterson, Reid who prefer to play 'in the hole', so it rules them out as well. So in my opinion the best use of our squad is 3-4-3 and to get our best players playing and having to use any of our full backs!  

gif / fileding

wright  flint   Mags

Cotts   heg/o neill   brownhill/pack   bryan

tomlin/Reid/Paterson

Djuric/ Wilbs          Tammy/ Taylor

Whether our better players are good enough remains to be seen and if  the recruitment and tactics are good enough.

COYR

8 minutes ago, South Bristol Red #4 said:

Possibly only change to this for me would be GON (if fit) in for Hegeler...not a reflection on him as I do think he is a very good player but would like us to play a high tempo tonight. Not sure Hegeler and GON would work together and I like Brownhill's energy. Hopefully Tommo is on it tonight to link up with Taylor and Cotts and JB can get some good deliveries into Djuric. 

I think with Brownhill over pack allows us to play at a higher tempo, I think o'neil would slow it down,

4 minutes ago, Linkedarm wall said:

I tend to agree and 4-4-2 is something that players apparently understand the best. The trouble is with our squad, 4-4-2 means the likes of Vyner, Matthews,Goldbourne, Little (when fit) have to play in some guise and it means a 'left back' (ish) in Bryan playing left midfield,  are they good enough? Also means Mags can't get in. We have Tomlin, Paterson, Reid who prefer to play 'in the hole', so it rules them out as well. So in my opinion the best use of our squad is 3-4-3 and to get our best players playing and having to use any of our full backs!  

gif / fileding

wright  flint   Mags

Cotts   heg/o neill   brownhill/pack   bryan

tomlin/Reid/Paterson

Djuric/ Wilbs          Tammy/ Taylor

Whether our better players are good enough remains to be seen and if  the recruitment and tactics are good enough.

COYR

Good post. I'm a little torn between this formation and 4-4-2 with the line Alessandro posted. I like the 3-4-3/5-3-2 you posted for lots of reasons and you've articulated them well, However, I think I'd still lean towards 442 more because of where we are in the league, it's a little more familliar and simple to deploy and while we are struggling probably makes the most sense. 

5 minutes ago, South Bristol Red #4 said:

That's why I've kept Brownhill in Monkeh.

I was thinking, without sounding too xenophobic, more of a "British" tempo....which GON would be more than used to.

understandable, my worry is does o'neil have the legs to make an impact against Fulham?,

aren't Fulham the highest passers in the top 4 diversions?

Think we'll need hard workers off the ball 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Giefer

Matthews - Flint - Wright - Golbourne

Cotterill - Brownhill - Hegeler - Bryan

Djuric - Taylor

Following what I saw at the Leeds game I would go with this.

Tomlin was too far off the pace and on a different wavelength from the rest of the team most of the time. A good option to have off the bench if something different is required towards the end of the game.

Cotterill was my man of the match and I think him, Djuric and Taylor could be a productive trio. Bryan was a bit of a disappointment but still probably our best option on the left at the moment. I thought that the defence were generally ok. Hegler and Brownhill played well together in the middle but Hegler tired badly towards the end of the game, maybe he needs substituting for Pack or O'Neil after about 60/70 minutes.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Whats all this I keep reading 'need to give flint a rest'? He doesn't look tired. Do people mean he should be dropped?

yes but trying not to sound too harsh about it,

I think its due to the fact that he's universally liked but he's been the only consistent in the shocking run of results and the schoolboy defending cock ups so some want to see something different 

6 minutes ago, Middlesbrough Robin said:

Following what I saw at the Leeds game I would go with this.

Tomlin was too far off the pace and on a different wavelength from the rest of the team most of the time. A good option to have off the bench if something different is required towards the end of the game.

Cotterill was my man of the match and I think him, Djuric and Taylor could be a productive trio. Bryan was a bit of a disappointment but still probably our best option on the left at the moment. I thought that the defence were generally ok. Hegler and Brownhill played well together in the middle but Hegler tired badly towards the end of the game, maybe he needs substituting for Pack or O'Neil after about 60/70 minutes.

Stability is key for me. The Derby performance was good for 45 minutes before the inevitable happened and we didn't quite hit the heights at Leeds despite having our share of chances. 

Brownhill is improving all the time and Tammy's absence makes the forward decision making a lot easier for LJ.  

You never know which Tomlin is going to turn up and that's a risk we can't afford to take tonight IMO.

Djuric and Taylor look like a promising partnership in the making and I'd like to see us go for it from the off and playing to our strengths.

We could have 11 defenders and we'd still not keep a clean sheet so let's try and win the offensive battle. 

On 20/02/2017 at 17:22, old_eastender said:

With Tammy out, surely, surely, LJ has to start with Djuric AND Taylor up front?

Personally I'd like to see 3-5-2 or perhaps more of a 3-4-1-2, but whatever the formation has to be Djuric & Taylor up front together.

Giefer

Wright            Flint            Mags

Cotteril   Heggler  Tomlin  Brownhill  Bryan

Taylor  Djuric

Agreed but wouldn't mind seeing Reid in there somewhere if he's fit?

24 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

understandable, my worry is does o'neil have the legs to make an impact against Fulham?,

aren't Fulham the highest passers in the top 4 diversions?

Think we'll need hard workers off the ball 

IMO the best pass & move side in the Championship...We will need to keep our concentration levels high.

In the reverse fixture we struggled to get the ball untill the second goal(against play)went in..

The three were outstanding in that formation when winning 4-0 at Craven Cottage. As was Reid who can't defend (allegedly) - scoring from a holding role. Swap Patterson for Cotterill and Bryan for Freeman and it is busy enough. Tomlin was great that day but would not start centrally for me today. Paterson probably would with Hegeler and Brownhill behind.

On 20/02/2017 at 17:56, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

4-4-2 is the only way to play in the championship when you have an average squad. The sooner the coaching staff realise this the better

Haven't they shown their agreement, by playing 4-4-2..?

11 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

The three were outstanding in that formation when winning 4-0 at Craven Cottage. As was Reid who can't defend (allegedly) - scoring from a holding role. Swap Patterson for Cotterill and Bryan for Freeman and it is busy enough. Tomlin was great that day but would not start centrally for me today. Paterson probably would with Hegeler and Brownhill behind.

cotts has been good since he came back, I wouldn't drop him, he's really assured and has a good delivery

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

cotts has been good since he came back, I wouldn't drop him, he's really assured and has a good delivery

Cotts is back :chant6ez:when did LJ go? nah seriously 2 up front a couple of goals before ht job done init?

Archived