IGNORED

When we stay up.....

MelksRed

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Honestly, what?!

23rd July 2016....I started to have my doubts that the wonderful, mercurial talented player we had on loan, might not be the right player for us as a permie.

I really hoped it was the right thing, and I probably 'blew smoke up his arse' on Twitter.  I feel a bit of a hypocrite, because I had massive doubts, that have borne out (from my point of view and unfounded) over the course of the season.

As for you saying you thought I liked that type of player....I do, but there are better examples.

See if you can see what that happened on that date.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When did I think that about Tomlin?  I wondered if you wanted my honest answer to your question.

Do you? :P

Sorry! When you said in your post "...it's the same as me saying I wouldn't pick Tomlin in our 18 but if LJ did I'd be right behind him"....I sort of took that as you saying you didn't rate Tomlin....difficult to pick up on sardonic comments when they're in writing....

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

23rd July 2016....I started to have my doubts that the wonderful, mercurial talented player we had on loan, might not be the right player for us as a permie.

I really hoped it was the right thing, and I probably 'blew smoke up his arse' on Twitter.  I feel a bit of a hypocrite, because I had massive doubts, that have borne out (from my point of view and unfounded) over the course of the season.

As for you saying you thought I liked that type of player....I do, but there are better examples.

See if you can see what that happened on that date.

Can't see anything that happened on 23 July 2016, City certainly didn't have a game, so what happened to make you dislike LT?

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Can't see anything that happened on 23 July 2016, City certainly didn't have a game, so what happened to make you dislike LT?

i don't dislike him, just thought he might not be what we wanted.  I cringed when I watched it.  Just got a bad feeling....sensitive old soul aren't I :P

It didn't make me smile like Baldock and Wagstaff in Botswana (think it was them).

I thought it would affect the dressing room.  Not the comments in this video, but I heard things that I thought over a period of timehow might erode team spirit, create a divide.  There's banter and there's banter.  

Of course I could be talking out my arse, but it just didn't feel right to me.

At a much lower level I've been in some great dressing rooms, I've been in some bad ones too.  

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ditto, even though I think we should get someone else.

Its the same as me saying that I wouldn't pick Tomlin in my 18, but should LJ pick him, I'll be fully behind him.

I praise and critique all of them.

As for what would I change:

- more accountability for recruitment.  What does that mean?  I'm assuming that some of us agree that although we've recruited well (on paper) it hasn't correlated to both game time and level of performance on the pitch.

Take Gary Rowett - he got sacked by Birmingham because they didn't trust him to use the funds from their new investors!

I'd be critiquing each signing against the projection at signing.  For example, O'Neil maybe fallen short, but is that due to injuries or performance....there can be subjectivity.  Take O'Dowda, how many games did LJ expect him to play this season and impact in those games.  Is he a + or a -?

Etc

I'd be using that to decide how much leeway (and funds) to give the manager in the next window.  This should also be levied at the recruitment team.

- the head coach to talk less openly.  Our current coach is too open and honest. Hard to believe, but I don't want our players called out, keep it in-house.  On the back of this I don't want bolloxy interviews with players with more spin than Shane Warne.  Talk about the game, not the inside world of the dressing room.

- finally, red nets and dancing girls :P

Sensible and well thought out, articulate post...... don't know what it's doing on here mind ;) BTW I remember the 'Rockin; Robins' so it's a no on the dancing girls :blink:

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Sometimes Dave, because of you, I find myself not needing to talk. 

I ******* love you Dave. 

maxresdefault.jpg

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

i don't dislike him, just thought he might not be what we wanted.  I cringed when I watched it.  Just got a bad feeling....sensitive old soul aren't I :P

It didn't make me smile like Baldock and Wagstaff in Botswana (think it was them).

I thought it would affect the dressing room.  Not the comments in this video, but I heard things that I thought over a period of timehow might erode team spirit, create a divide.  There's banter and there's banter.  

Of course I could be talking out my arse, but it just didn't feel right to me.

At a much lower level I've been in some great dressing rooms, I've been in some bad ones too.  

I'm a sensitive old soul too, but can't see much in that video to make me think Tomlin didn't/doesn't fit in....just a bit of a giggle talking about his squad mates....I've been in a great dressing room with you too Dave (matron!) ...

well. I don't think we'll go down, but I'll always smile at people who say LJ out without suggesting an alternative....and mine would be Simon Grayson if he'd come. The rest? There's something the likes of Norwich and Southampton do right, that we don't. Maybe look at the structure of those two clubs with a magnifying glass. Apart from that.. we are as we are for the last 30 years (at least). Bottom of Tier 2, Top of Tier 3

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm a sensitive old soul too, but can't see much in that video to make me think Tomlin didn't/doesn't fit in....just a bit of a giggle talking about his squad mates....I've been in a great dressing room with you too Dave (matron!) ...

....and only one, single, shower!

I just got a bad feel from it.  It really worried me.  I might've posted something around that time, but we were all in love with the prospect.

It feels like I'm blaming him and, worse, with no substance too.  I feel bad for that.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I just got a bad feel from it.  It really worried me.  I might've posted something around that time, but we were all in love with the prospect.

It feels like I'm blaming him and, worse, with no substance too.  I feel bad for that.

Don't be so hard on yourself mate, none of this season's debacle is anyone's fault but LJ's, he picks the team and he has let us down big time, whilst giving us the worst run of defeats in our history...

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

well. I don't think we'll go down, but I'll always smile at people who say LJ out without suggesting an alternative....and mine would be Simon Grayson if he'd come. The rest? There's something the likes of Norwich and Southampton do right, that we don't. Maybe look at the structure of those two clubs with a magnifying glass. Apart from that.. we are as we are for the last 30 years (at least). Bottom of Tier 2, Top of Tier 3

At least with Grayson, we'd be able to 'shut that door' and hold a 3-0 lead :P

IMG_0893.JPG

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I was never happy about signing him Dave - purely in terms of character

There is also the issue with his wages - remember the fuss around Marlon Packs Dads ? Tweets ? 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and the final word (from me on this) is that if he was a divisive force, then LJ should've sorted it out.

Yes, ultimately, it comes back to him. No getting away from that.

He knew what he was taking on, he mentioned it in the sumner on signing him, whilst talking up "emotional intelligence" as being that which "separates the men from the boys" amongst football coaches.

I can't help but think that Tomlin has shown LJ he is very much still a "boy" amongst "men" like Warnock and Bruce, when it comes to doing the stuff that I consider to be most important, much more important than tactics and football stuff, the people stuff, or "man-management" as football likes to call it. 

Cotterill was lacking in many ways but he did galvanise a group of players and a club brilliantly for 18 months and squeeze out every last drop from them. The way we finished that season, 6:0 at Bradford, last day 8:2! Never seen anything like it from us.

I think we need a mix of the best of Cotts and LJ.

So disappointed by Tomlin, though (I'm guessing this is the root of it all). We should've known better

Personally fed up with those people who are stating that we are going down/will go down under LJ as if it is a fact.

Those statements are neither true (far too many changeable things in football to make assertions like that with such certainty at this stage), nor are they what our record suggests without selective 'form analysis'.

That final bit is to highlight many of those making the statements will often say "our form from the last 17 games" etc. It would be equally dishonest for someone to say "our form from the last 4 games is playoffs"- either use the entire season so far (which doesn't suggest relegation) or use LJ's entire record here (which averages at mid table). Those are the only records we have that could be used for a long term assessment of what could happen.

Before one of the professional word twisters gets hold of this, I'm not saying people can't analyse form or what they can use, the standard "last 6 games" is always a perfectly valid way of looking at current form, but to be deliberately selective of what is used to suit an argument when the opposite is suggested when using the whole lot is a dishonest way of trying to force a point.

Not saying people can't have the opinion of LJ taking us down either, but there are several stating it as a fact.

James - you are right, none of us know what will unfold, but we are in a pickle, and I just wonder what some people will say if we do find ourselves in a relegation spot at some point thus season.

If it's at 22:00 tomorrow, they'll be saying, well, we'll be out of it when we beat Fulham tomorrow, or we've got games in hand, etc.

Similarly, we might pull away with a run if results.  We don't know.

But, boy, I'm in the very worried camp at the mo'.

I would have a complete overhaul of every coach involved with the first team.I have found it totally baffling that we seem to have no set pieces that you can see have been worked on and just the wastefullness of corners and throw-ins.I really do feel strongly that the coaching set up is one of our biggest problems and until this is sorted we will continue to look disjointed and predictable in the way we play and manage games.As a footnote to this I also feel the constant changing of players,formations and skippers a factor as well.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

James - you are right, none of us know what will unfold, but we are in a pickle, and I just wonder what some people will say if we do find ourselves in a relegation spot at some point thus season.

If it's at 22:00 tomorrow, they'll be saying, well, we'll be out of it when we beat Fulham tomorrow, or we've got games in hand, etc.

Similarly, we might pull away with a run if results.  We don't know.

But, boy, I'm in the very worried camp at the mo'.

Don't have a problem with people being worried, it wouldn't be natural if we weren't.

I think it's very clear on here I'm still supporting LJ, but I am concerned and we need to get some wins sharpish. My support has largely be been because I could see promise in the performances despite results, but we need the points more than the performance now.

I'm just fed up with people making selective analysis to further an agenda, or stating an opinion as a fact.

This is what has been posted on the Villa Forum.

Bruce's plan seems to be pick an 11 and hope for the best.

No reaction to what's happening in the game, different players every week, different formations every week.

Honestly can't see how people can continue to defend this clown. Yes he has pedigree in this division but he's massively out of his depth here, it should be clear for all to see. One more loss and he has to go it's as simple as that.

It seems their fans aren't very happy either.......

1 minute ago, CityCiderEd said:

No reaction to what's happening in the game, different players every week, different formations every week.

Honestly can't see how people can continue to defend this clown. Yes he has pedigree in this division but he's massively out of his depth here, it should be clear for all to see. One more loss and he has to go it's as simple as that.

And he's got a big fat'ead.

1 minute ago, CityCiderEd said:

The Villa forum is full of angry people.

I went on there before our game against them and afterwards to give a view on it, also gave them views on Kodjia and Bolasie, but once I said that from what I had seen they wouldn't be in the playoffs I just got abuse.

2 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

That's because they haven't a mono...

Sorry wrong thread.

It seems like the Championship is getting even tougher, money and quality don't appear to offer success at this level.  I think this season has proved that the most important 'signing' is the manager or head coach.  I think a lot have been found out no matter what squad they have at their disposal.

10 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Difficult to answer promptly and on a phone, but a full review of the structure is needed IMO.

Well,the current framework within which a head coach at AG has to work just about denies us the opportunity of attracting a proven/track record with achievement person to this position,so can't argue with a change to recruitment policy..

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

....and the final word (from me on this) is that if he was a divisive force, then LJ should've sorted it out.

As I have said before I feel that Tomlins signing was done mainly to appease the fans and create a positive buzz around AG = Season Ticket sales.

The whole saga of his signing smacked of two sides not really that keen on doing a deal. Tomlin because he was looking for something bigger and better in his eyes and us because (probably) the signs of his high maintenance and potentially decisive character would have become apparent during his loan time with us.

The importance of team spirit and togetherness both on and off the pitch are nearly always overlooked in favour of the flash of inspirational and individual magic occasionally displayed on the pitch by certain players.

I know which I would focus on. The trick is getting both to work.

When we stay up in early May......

Concorde will do a celebratory flight past Ashton Gate, under the Suspension Bridge and off to the US for it's daily flight.

A sounder of swine will follow Concorde towing a large banner congratulating the Club for it's magnificent achievement.

Birmingham City will be sent packing in the last home game having suffered a 9-2 (one better than their near neighbours Walsall) slaughtering. 

And, of course, the open top bus ride taking in all districts of Bristol with special emphasis on the Horfield area.

Archived