IGNORED

Cotts desperate for Blackburn on SSN

TrowVegasCidered

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It maybe untrue in your world Robin, but not from where I'm coming from.

I did say the Gray and Gayle attempts were late, and that the board backed him for those bids.

Why would the board back him for those bids, which were massive...but not for the others that supposedly fell through? Ask yourself that question.

It had nothing to do with holidays...it had everything to do with agreed budgets, that SC deferred from. Why make a pre contract agreement with certain players, and promise so much, when you know the budget won't allow it. Then blame the board for not backing you, even though it was him who made an agreement that wasn't possible.

Ask yourself why SC screwed up his summer transfer targets and then puts the blame at the foot of the board, yet our next manager comes along and is backed fully.

SC was backed...he just screwed up with his targets and made agreements that the Club couldn't or wouldn't back for budget reasons.

I've no sympathy with SC or Burt...they screwed up and got greedy.

Our FD walked because of it.

We can agree to disagree on this point Robin...

Gayle and Gray. Like they were ever going to come here.

Anyone who really thought that or who still thinks it is deluded.

That was all about placating - SC who thought he wanted them and they'd come and SL wanting to be seen to back him and those on here who thought it would helped the Gelled One get us to the new Jerusalem.

As much chance as I've got at scoring a hat trick tonight.....

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

That one EMB. Me?

C word needed. Context. If you are referring to me and an earlier comment I made please do so in context.

If LJ takes us down and things don't improve then he gets what he deserves.

The context point was regarding other situations elsewhere and the value that can be achieved through consistency and continuity ala Dicks, Wenger and Ferguson.

But hey if you like the consistent and seemingly continuity of hire and fire then carry on :)

Firstly there is no context to what you said, I asked a direct question and you answered that direct question with a direct 'yep', it took 13 years before Dicks suffered a relegation and Wenger and Ferguson never suffered that fate, if we go down it will have taken LJ 18 months.

i'm sorry if City don't win tonight he should get what he deserves.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

It maybe untrue in your world Robin, but not from where I'm coming from.

I did say the Gray and Gayle attempts were late, and that the board backed him for those bids.

Why would the board back him for those bids, which were massive...but not for the others that supposedly fell through? Ask yourself that question.

It had nothing to do with holidays...it had everything to do with agreed budgets, that SC deferred from. Why make a pre contract agreement with certain players, and promise so much, when you know the budget won't allow it. Then blame the board for not backing you, even though it was him who made an agreement that wasn't possible.

Ask yourself why SC screwed up his summer transfer targets and then puts the blame at the foot of the board, yet our next manager comes along and is backed fully.

SC was backed...he just screwed up with his targets and made agreements that the Club couldn't or wouldn't back for budget reasons.

I've no sympathy with SC or Burt...they screwed up and got greedy.

Our FD walked because of it.

We can agree to disagree on this point Robin...

Why would they back him? Because even an ineffective and distant boardroom realised they're up shit creek without a paddle eventually. Hence the hurried loan signings & stupid bids.

It had everything to do with holidays. Names were left with Dawe, who went away without acting on them, and by the time any attempt was made to actually get something done it was too late. Other targets were missed because we had an ineffective hierarchy. That's one thing no one can accuse MA of. As a side note, God knows what Burt's remit was to be honest, beyond talent identification, because he certainly wasn't facilitating transfers, but that's by the by.

I don't need to ask myself why LJ is backed - it's because we have a competent system in place. Lansdown took his eye off the ball, left a load of monkeys to write the works of Shakespeare and made amends when it all went to shit. You may dislike SC for being a control freak and that's fair enough, but he wasn't judge, jury and executioner where transfers were concerned, and the faults of why a fairly extensive list weren't acted upon lies upstairs. If SC's transfer policy was so bad, what happened in Summer 2014?

It's also curious that John Pelling disliked him so much that Cotterill was second choice to Parkinson for the Bolton job last year. Who's their director of finance? Ah, John Pelling. He wouldn't have even had an interview had they been sworn enemies.

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Why would they back him? Because even an ineffective and distant boardroom realised they're up shit creek without a paddle eventually. Hence the hurried loan signings & stupid bids.

It had everything to do with holidays. Names were left with Dawe, who went away without acting on them, and by the time any attempt was made to actually get something done it was too late. Other targets were missed because we had an ineffective hierarchy. That's one thing no one can accuse MA of. As a side note, God knows what Burt's remit was to be honest, beyond talent identification, because he certainly wasn't facilitating transfers, but that's by the by.

I don't need to ask myself why LJ is backed - it's because we have a competent system in place. Lansdown took his eye off the ball, left a load of monkeys to write the works of Shakespeare and made amends when it all went to shit. You may dislike SC for being a control freak and that's fair enough, but he wasn't judge, jury and executioner where transfers were concerned, and the faults of why a fairly extensive list weren't acted upon lies upstairs. If SC's transfer policy was so bad, what happened in Summer 2014?

It's also curious that John Pelling disliked him so much that Cotterill was second choice to Parkinson for the Bolton job last year. Who's their director of finance? Ah, John Pelling. He wouldn't have even had an interview had they been sworn enemies.

I agree totally with you and you've got to love the fact that everybody's speculation is shit but other peoples speculation is spot on.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Not going to say why, but I know what I know. Obviously it's different to what you assume.

No worries, it's all good.

Best left alone I think ;-)

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Not going to say why, but I know what I know. Obviously it's different to what you assume.

Lots of people's speculation on here as taken them a little off course from the truth....

1 hour ago, spudski said:

That's ok Spudski, of course it's assumption - your knowledge far exceeds any of the rest of us. If anything, thanks for the lesson.

11 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Oh him.

Yes he did well but look how it ended. Ended being the key word. As in the past.

As my psychiatrist says you need to live in the moment not long for the past.

Onwards and upwards. Keep the faith @RedLionLad

I fancy a rendition of The Snake tonight. 

A manager who put Bristol City into the history books for all the right reasons.

A rare breed.

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well LJ is pushing him hard for worst Championship manager, indeed if we take the last 20 games, a reasonable yardstick, he is far worse. So he needs to go like SC. He's now the worst manager we have had in the Championship. But you can change the facts to suit your argument as you say. Those are the facts, but still some fans will say he is the best thing since the invention of the drone. 

Yes, I agree...the last 20 games under LJ have been awful results wise. Same amount of wins as what SC had in his last 20 games. Just 3 wins.

I've not seen one fan on here though BW, that thinks LJ is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not one for sure.

I've just gone for stability rather than sacking.

Tbh...after tonight, I wasn't there, as I had more important things to do. But I had the commentary on in the background...from that it sounded like we have given up.

As Gary Owers said...how do you blame LJ for the individual mistakes players were making. Matthews had a nightmare by the sound of it.

Same players...same old crap.

You can blame LJ for picking them again and giving them a chance...I agree with that. Matthews is a bloody disgrace imo.

If I were SL I'm not sure what I'd do tbh.

Do you get rid, and bring in a new manager, and risk going down with him? Or bring in a new one and gamble it would work.

After listening to tonight's performance, I'm not sure what I'd do. I do know it's bloody awful to listen too, so must have been worse to watch.

It left me feeling like I can't be bothered anymore.

If I feel like that tonight, and I'm pretty level headed, then I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

I want LJ to turn it around, I want stability...but right now I couldn't give a toss tbh. Need to sleep on it. If he goes, he goes...I won't lose sleep over it...have now become punch drunk with it all.

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes, I agree...the last 20 games under LJ have been awful results wise. Same amount of wins as what SC had in his last 20 games. Just 3 wins.

I've not seen one fan on here though BW, that thinks LJ is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not one for sure.

Tbh...after tonight, I wasn't there, as I had more important things to do. But I had the commentary on in the background...from that it sounded like we have given up.

As Gary Owers said...how do you blame LJ for the individual mistakes players were making. Matthews had a nightmare by the sound of it.

You can blame LJ for picking them again and giving them a chance...I agree with that. Matthews is a bloody disgrace imo.

Do you get rid, and bring in a new manager, and risk going down with him? Or bring in a new one and gamble it would work.

After listening to tonight's performance, I'm not sure what I'd do. I do know it's bloody awful to listen too, so must have been worse to watch.

If I feel like that tonight, and I'm pretty level headed, then I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

I want LJ to turn it around, I want stability...but right now I couldn't give a toss tbh. Need to sleep on it. If he goes, he goes...I won't lose sleep over it...have now become punch drunk with it all.

But LJ is the saviour. And u laugh at people sat around u when they don't know what their on about. All of a sudden u starting to think different. Im punch drunk. U listened to the game. But couldn't go through circumstances. Fair enough. But if u think LJ should continue. U are deluded 

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

What stability?, we are going down if something doesn't change.

His players his crap, post match he talked about players not getting close and backing off, FFS I have been talking about that since October, has only only just realised this?, I thought it was a tactic of his and Matthews is one of his.

And do you know what Spud I am closing in on 60 years of support and I am really wondering whether I can be bothered anymore, I am over for March and April as I was last year, but i'm wondering whether my hard earned cash might not be better spent spoiling the grand kids.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

His players his crap, post match he talked about players not getting close and backing off, FFS I have been talking about that since October, has only only just realised this?, I thought it was a tactic of his and Matthews is one of his.

And do you know what Spud I am closing in on 60 years of support and I am really wondering whether I can be bothered anymore, I am over for March and April as I was last year, but i'm wondering whether my hard earned cash might not be better spent spoiling the grand kids.

Wouldn't waste your money mate.

As you say...his players.

As to whether another Coach could get any better out of them...who knows.

For what it's worth, I think LJ is mental for keeping with Matthews.

The bloke couldn't give a shit.

Gary Owers was giving him shit on the radio....'jogging back whilst Cotterill covering two players'...'Being drawn in and not keeping shape' etc,etc.

Moore off on loan...Little injured, Vyner unproven and inexperienced, Matthews the laziest bastard I've ever seen and heard in a City shirt.

Golbourne crap...Bryan useless at LB.

Yep...LJ's errors of judgement.

As for getting rid of LJ...easier said than actually done.

Easy to say on a keyboard...get rid and employ someone else. But who? Who will guarantee success and better results. And if SL brings in someone everyone thinks is the 'real deal'...and they fail...who do you blame then?

I don't have the answers...and it's easy to see when results go badly, and fans frustrations are up, they will start looking to have a go at other posters who don't share their views.

We all want the same...success for the Club. Not aimed at you btw.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Gary Owers was giving him shit on the radio....'jogging back whilst Cotterill covering two players'...'Being drawn in and not keeping shape' etc,etc.

Moore off on loan...Little injured, Vyner unproven and inexperienced, Matthews the laziest bastard I've ever seen and heard in a City shirt.

Easy to say on a keyboard...get rid and employ someone else. But who? Who will guarantee success and better results. And if SL brings in someone everyone thinks is the 'real deal'...and they fail...who do you blame then?

I don't have the answers...and it's easy to see when results go badly, and fans frustrations are up, they will start looking to have a go at other posters who don't share their views.

I think that the point about tonight is, from what is being said the players were not motivated tonight and if that's the case then he has lost the dressing room, rather than go down with a SODesque whimper like our last relegation, not my idea but offer it to Pardew and Millen until the end of the season on a big bonus to keep us up, Millen knows the club and SL and see if we can at least show some fight and maybe get out of this and then see where that takes us.

PS:- His post match interview could have been written by David Brent it was embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Couldn't agree more mate. 

Cotts was one of the best things to happen to the club for a long time. Unfortunately the wrong players were targeted, gayle and gray probably wanted and had better offers rather than not wanting to play for the manager as some think. 

With Mark Ashton and the current scouting  at the club during that summer it Could've been different for Cotts. Options to change the formation wasn't possible until after he went really so he was kind of stuck 

40 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

EMB. We were piss poor again tonight.

Don't waste your money in BS3. Spend it on something you'll enjoy. Spoil the grand children.

That's what I'd do.

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sounds awfully familiar to the kind of response from SO'D apologists a little over two years ago.

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure about all of this Spud. I thought Matthews wasn't that bad - apart from the bloody Alice band.

Brownhill was the weakest link on the right for me. Seemed defensively out of position, too far off his man and not quick enough to close down or get back.

I'd have liked to have seen Pack introduced at halftime but Bobby Reid did well I thought.

Not sure where this latest debacle leaves us if I'm honest, but I'm ever hopeful.

What a shit present though from the boys :(

3 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I'm not sure about all of this Spud. I thought Matthews wasn't that bad - apart from the bloody Alice band.

Brownhill was the weakest link on the right for me. Seemed defensively out of position, too far off his man and not quick enough to close down or get back.

I'd have liked to have seen Pack introduced at halftime but Bobby Reid did well I thought.

Not sure where this latest debacle leaves us if I'm honest, but I'm ever hopeful.

What a shit present though from the boys :(

Same old thing though mate...one good game, one bad game...no consistency.

Can't agree about Matthews though...the bloke is toxic. Way too many chances.

Granted I wasn't there tonight...but he got slated on the commentary by Owers and every time I watch him, he's lethargic and off the pace or doesn't keep shape. Or prone to errors like tonight.

I did say a couple days ago that we could drop into the bottom 3 before escaping by the skin of our teeth.

It sounded like we had no energy or bite though tonight....when fighting for your lives, you need that. When are we going to see it?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Same old thing though mate...one good game, one bad game...no consistency.

Can't agree about Matthews though...the bloke is toxic. Way too many chances.

Granted I wasn't there tonight...but he got slated on the commentary by Owers and every time I watch him, he's lethargic and off the pace or doesn't keep shape. Or prone to errors like tonight.

I did say a couple days ago that we could drop into the bottom 3 before escaping by the skin of our teeth.

It sounded like we had no energy or bite though tonight....when fighting for your lives, you need that. When are we going to see it?

Tell you what mate, dont think a SC side would ever play that passionless. We might have had 5 on the bench, we might have stuck rigidly to one formation (instead of 3/4 in one game; how can that be better?), but we'd have played with some pride at least. 

That was a bit like watching SOD when he took over. Going down without even a whimper. I can excuse incompetence, I can never excuse a lack of effort though: in the way I can abide Little but hate Matthews. 

As I've said I would love LJ to turn it around. But I couldn't back him any longer. I think he's on the path of being our worst manager for some time - and seeing as we crossed swords on SOD and how vitriolic I was about him you'll know how low i feel ;) 

20 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We could playing in league one without him and the wrong end of 15 mil spunked on players, oh yes and a new club record of 9 consecutive league defeats.

And for the record the only reason LJ is the manager of a championship side is because SC got us promoted, with one of the most successful seasons in the clubs history.

SC was rightly sacked but LJ wrongly appointed IMO, I think most fans expected with the ground renovation and expected higher crowds and higher revenue streams a manager with something of a track record and we ended up with an experiment that is turning into a disaster.

But we appointed LJ who kept us up last season so your first point is irrelevant. Based off SC stubbornness to not change the failing formation and not use the squad effectively, I think we were more likely to go down than stay up last season if SC stayed. We wouldn't have spent 15 million if we had got relegated and even if we stayed up with Cotts, how do you know he would have spent the money wisely? Yes, we picked up Kodjia with Cotts in charge but how much was that to do with Cotts that transfer? That summer transfer window under Cotts was very poor. He was backed just like LJ was, just happened to be he couldn't get the players in unlike LJ and MA. The 9 consecutive defeats are embarrassing but we were still losing under Cotts, just didn't happen to be as many times in a row but what difference does it make if we still had roughly the same amount of points?

Was LJ the right appointment? For where we want to be probably not. But he was successful to keep us up last season which was our short term aim when he came in. No doubt about it this season, we are majorly underperforming and he doesn't look like he can get the players performing consistently.

By the way, I'm not backing LJ, I was just making the point that if we had kept SC, we probably would have been in league 1 this season.           

19 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

And we'd be in league two if he hadn't taken over from that clown SOD. At least cotts gave us the opportunity to balls up in the championship. Lee johnsons had such an easy ride he should have been run out of town ages ago. 

I know, Cotts did a fantastic job taking us safely out of the L1 relegation fight to finish midtable and then did an even better job the next season. That doesn't mean he was fit for the job in the championship. 

2 minutes ago, CityLew said:

But we appointed LJ who kept us up last season so your first point is irrelevant. Based off SC stubbornness to not change the failing formation and not use the squad effectively, I think we were more likely to go down than stay up last season if SC stayed. We wouldn't have spent 15 million if we had got relegated and even if we stayed up with Cotts, how do you know he would have spent the money wisely? Yes, we picked up Kodjia with Cotts in charge but how much was that to do with Cotts that transfer? That summer transfer window under Cotts was very poor. He was backed just like LJ was, just happened to be he couldn't get the players in unlike LJ and MA. The 9 consecutive defeats are embarrassing but we were still losing under Cotts, just didn't happen to be as many times in a row but what difference does it make if we still had roughly the same amount of points?

Was LJ the right appointment? For where we want to be probably not. But he was successful to keep us up last season which was our short term aim when he came in. No doubt about it this season, we are majorly underperforming and he doesn't look like he can get the players performing consistently.

By the way, I'm not backing LJ, I was just making the point that if we had kept SC, we probably would have been in league 1 this season.           

The first point is certainly not irrelevant because GJ, Millen, DMC and SC all saved us from relegation in the first months after being appointed and then were all subsequently rightly sacked because they could not sustain the improvement.

SC and GJ are the only managers out the above list + LJ to win a promotion and for the record SC's stubbornness surely must be akin to LJ who has tinkered away with changes to formations, signed loads of players and is still nowhere close to knowing his best team or best formation last night he employed 3 different formations in 90 minutes and all of them failed.

You mention SC and the infamous transfer window, are you claiming inside knowledge of exactly what went on? because I don't think there is one person whatever they might claim on this forum that does the whole truth but people have somehow come to a conclusion to mainly further their own arguments.

I am not by the way backing SC as he was rightly sacked but your post is full of assumptions, whereas mine is merely defending a former successful manager using facts about a manager who actually achieved the best season in my nearly 60 years of support and is now being turned into some kind of hate figure for something that may or may not have been his fault, unless of course you can evidence your assumptions.

There is a huge clue as to the woes of BCFC and their ever growing list of ex managers.

GJ couldn't sustain the promotion + premier play off season.

Millen couldn't sustain the form after saving us from relegation.

DMC couldn't sustain the form after saving us from relegation.

SOD couldn't sustain **** all.

SC couldn't sustain the promotion.

LJ can't sustain the form after saving us from relegation, but still mystifyingly given a contract extension.

So all but SOD saved us from relegation, 2 went on to gain promotions and then failed in the championship and 3 all untried especially at championship level took over in the championship and ultimately failed ergo the problem is appoint a championship manager for a change one with a track record and later today hopefully that opportunity will open itself to us.

Archived