IGNORED

SL reads OTIB

Lee F

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

You can't and shouldn't forget ( £100 million plus) what SL puts in. As otherwise the 10-15% of yours and mine salary that we both spend would be irrelevant as without the bit you want to forget about we wouldn't have bristol city or at least a bristol city that we have today.

The Bristol City we have today?  It's the same Bristol City we've always had (certainly for my lifetime); first division frontrunners; championship chumps.  Throw in the odd Wembley appearance too.  We just sit in a nicer stadium.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You can't and shouldn't forget ( £100 million plus) what SL puts in. As otherwise the 10-15% of yours and mine salary that we both spend would be irrelevant as without the bit you want to forget about we wouldn't have bristol city or at least a bristol city that we have today.

Applies to almost every fan of every club. 

All fans should stay quiet unless they're mounting an imminent takeover? 

43 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Well I hope he reads this:

Thanks for all you've done.  But don't let it go to waste.  Be bold, make a change.  We are sleep walking towards relegation and the 'not in the bottom three' and 'only losing by one goal' BS is wearing thin.  

Also, I think you're being badly, badly advised.  Our football is awful.  The tactics are awful.  The shape (there isn't any really) is awful.  Players are regressing - REGRESSING under the tutelage of our 'head coach'.  Not one player has improved.  .  The 'head coach' is making it up as he goes along.  If you see different you're blind, if you're being told different, look closely at those advising you.  The fans and the players can see it, those close to you cant or won't.  Get a second, independent opinion if needs be - I'll help you out - ask Gary Owers!

Gary Owers commentating on RB for the Fulham match, sounded like he was being paid by the club

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not sure about that, but he wasn't prepare to criticise openly. 

Because before he took over at bath city he was working with city u18's. Plus we have loaned him 4 players this season including max o Leary and Shaun mCclusky . Doesn't want to burn the bridge.

I totally understand that SL has spent millions upon millions but is the amount spent by him relative to the amount we all spend?

In short SL has millions to spend as he sees fit, where as I have hundreds to spend as I see fit. We both choose to spend it on Bristol City. Given SL has approx 2 Billion and he spends 100 million and I have an awful lot less and spend a couple of thousand per year. (ST, refreshments and away games etc etc) 

Is it not fair to say I am as invested certainly as emotionally as he is and possibly in relative terms financially? 

Yet I took from his interview tonight that he is very much in the mind of its HIS club and HIS alone and HE will decide as HE is the invested one. That is not something that sits well with me at all. 

I type slower than @cityloyal473 but it seems we feel the same :)

37 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Seriously how about people on here show SL some respect ? 

Question his footballing decisions but never his passion or his commitment. 

And I feel embarrassed being associated with some of the tripe directed at SL on otib in the last few weeks. Funny how it was all quiet at the start of the season?   

Just have a joke with Steve about him reading OTIB. It's quite obviously a joke and I'm sure Steve would appreciate some humour today of all days.

Didn't slag him off, no joke or insult directed to his person or his ability. Just a general joke.

You might not appreciate it but he might.

Well if he's reading this I'm sure many of the fans would like to thank him for having more free time on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I mean seeing as he pretty much blamed them and ignored the fact almost everyone doesn't want to support Johnson anymore.... 

Part of moving forward is to look at where you've gone wrong and address the issues.

I have been vocal in my belief that he has failed in the last ten years, but don't want him gone. Just try something different as what he's been doing painfully hasn't worked.

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Players are regressing -REGRESSING under the tutelage of our 'head coach'.  Not one player has improved.

This is ground zero for me. This is at the centre of the whole bloody mess and why it's so beyond repair. And most of all it is what makes Steve Lansdown's interview this morning so baffling and depressing in equal proportions. 

He referred to coaching and improving players specifically as a key redeeming quality of LJ's involvement. What is he watching? In all his time here you could at most make a case that he has improved one player - Bobby Reid, and he has left him out and criticised him frequently.

Every other player has as you say either regressed or arrived with a decent billing and slowly got further and further away from being first team material. Where are all these developed players? The young ones are going out on loan so hardly a lot of his tutelage. 

Whatever you think of his tactics and his footballing philosophy (I'm yet to be clear on either) LJ 'developing players' is easily the biggest lie SL could hoist on us at this point. It is just not true, everyone can see it, and claiming otherwise is so out of character for an intelligent and successful man who is going to all these games too. There must be more to this.

Perhaps I have seen it wrong. I will defer to @spudski coaching experience on this but his past view of the performances of players individually all season has not screamed at me players "getting better" either. Mistakes, positioning, application. What players have we developed?

Let's not forget many of those who now reckon he's a "moron" for employing Lee Johnson and he has "no football sense" and "poor judgement" were themselves suggesting LJ as head coach before his appointment, not to say hailing him as a "future PL manager"  and "a great fit for the club" only a few months ago.

We've seen the same at the appointment of SOD, McInnes, Coppell etc.

Why we expect a stockbroker to have a better football crystal ball than the collective wisdom of Otib, I don't know. 

Even appointing on recommendation from those in the game has no guarantees. Remember LJ was genuinely "a highly regarded young coach". 

Like most people, I think Steve has made a big mistake in his defence of Lee in recent weeks - not to say the contract renewal in January :facepalm: - but those who suggest a change of ownership will bring us some sort of person who never makes mistakes are "morons" themselves.

We've all got it wrong about managers, why shouldn't the owner?

At least we have a level of financial stability other clubs, including a ragbag outfit north of the Avon, envy.

1 hour ago, Lee F said:

He commented on seeing the thread calling him the biggest failure in football on the ITV Westcountry news. Admitted it hurts him to read that.

Question is why? Why read the forum? Why let opinion bother him if he truly feels there is no truth in the statement?

He did openly say LJ will be in charge for Newcastle, Villa and also Burton but would not commit to him being here beyond the end of the season. He mentioned more than once that we are not in the bottom 3. Is that the real tipping point? 

I cant help feeling if it is we will pull the trigger too late to rectify the situation. I am not even sure it isnt already too late. 

I don't understand this waiting to be in the bottom 3 before acting. You don't wait for your house to be fully on fire before reaching for a bucket of water. If you catch sight of a flame, you put it out. LJ is showing now signs of having the tactical nous to manage at championship level.

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

Every other player has as you say either regressed or arrived with a decent billing and slowly got further and further away from being first team material. Where are all these developed players? The young ones are going out on loan so hardly a lot of his tutelage. 

I was saying the exact same to somebody earlier, right down to the most extreme point which is as far as I can see Cotterill and Taylor are currently our brightest players and you can put that solely down to the fact they've been with us the least amount of time.

4 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I was saying the exact same to somebody earlier, right down to the most extreme point which is as far as I can see Cotterill and Taylor are currently our brightest players and you can put that solely down to the fact they've been with us the least amount of time.

It's down to the fact LJ has not had chance to suck all the life and confidence out of them yet 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's not forget many of those who now reckon he's a "moron" for employing Lee Johnson and he has "no football sense" and "poor judgement" were themselves suggesting LJ as head coach before his appointment, not to say hailing him as a "future PL manager"  and "a great fit for the club" only a few months ago.

We've seen the same at the appointment of SOD, McInnes, Coppell etc.

Why we expect a stockbroker to have a better football crystal ball than the collective wisdom of Otib, I don't know. 

Even appointing on recommendation from those in the game has no guarantees. Remember LJ was genuinely "a highly regarded young coach". 

Like most people, I think Steve has made a big mistake in his defence of Lee in recent weeks - not to say the contract renewal in January :facepalm: - but those who suggest a change of ownership will bring us some sort of person who never makes mistakes are "morons" themselves.

We've all got it wrong about managers, why shouldn't the owner?

At least we have a level of financial stability other clubs, including a ragbag outfit north of the Avon, envy.

Fair points, mate. The only question from me then, would be how the hell did Swansea get it so right with three or four consecutive appointments and reach the highest level?

How do Burnley, with no more support than us, continually outperform us? Same goes for Norwich.

And Reading. And now Brighton. And many other similar size clubs to us (not all of whom have had a very wealthy and generous backer)?

Are they all just lucky with their appointments?

How many clubs of our size - 20k stadium, ability to attract 20k crowds - have not played in the top league in the last 25 years? Brighton are one. They have had ground obstacles in that time though. Who else?

Other than Brighton, I cannot think of a club of our size that has not had top flight football, if only for one season (such as Cardiff. They have also played in the FA Cup final, and a League cup final).

Don't give me Huddersfield or Preston - both are smaller. How many clubs with a bigger average than us this season have never played in the Premier League?

Generally, size in football matters. There are exceptions, with Bournemouth, Blackpool and one or two others bucking the trend. The large conurbations though tend to dominate, with Bristol being the exception to this. We have failed to convert the dual advantages of 1. A large conurbation and the ability to attract 20k plus crowds, and 2. A wealthy backer into success on the pitch, ie, getting to the top. Yes, we went very close in 2008, but what happened then? It was all built on sand and we sank miserably back to whence we came.

This is a source of much frustration. We promise much, and deliver very little.

The one thing I would say in defence of SL here is that he is only one year into having a fit-for-purpose stadium and all the benefits that will bring. But sadly, we are already heading in the wrong direction.

31 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Thank you very much. 'Attack the post' not the poster by the way.

I just don't get the need for personal vitriol against SL or indeed anybody SL, you and me all have a love of City in common. We all have views about what's gone wrong which may be different but we all aspire to the same thing so a bit of respect should be a given, 

13 minutes ago, hollydog said:

I just don't get the need for personal vitriol against SL or indeed anybody SL, you and me all have a love of City in common. We all have views about what's gone wrong which may be different but we all aspire to the same thing so a bit of respect should be a given, 

I respect the bloke massively but think he is out of order today WTGR.

Such a sad time for the club. It should have been much better. Unfortunately SL will never fund the very best players and managers at this level to take us up. We will never get to the premier league unless things change drastically and we go for a different model. Such a shame but the current set up is poor. LJ, JP and DH are sub standard coaches. League table does not lie. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's not forget many of those who now reckon he's a "moron" for employing Lee Johnson and he has "no football sense" and "poor judgement" were themselves suggesting LJ as head coach before his appointment,

Don't remember much of that tbh Robbo.

I think many, like me, were astounded when his name first cropped up as a likely candidate, and doubly so when he was actually appointed.

If it is true he did see that thread title then the person who did it should be ashamed and disgusted with themselves. For all the decisions he has made over the last 2 decades and how he has conducted himself has been a credit to us fans and the football club. He hasn't made the right decisions of course, but he has us, and the club at heart and we have a new stadium and top class resources worthy of a Bristol and the city itself. 

If anyone doesn't like this then **** off to Leeds or Blackpool and enjoy their ownership.

I would have Steve than any other sheikh or Russian oligarch in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Seriously how about people on here show SL some respect ? 

Question his footballing decisions but never his passion or his commitment. 

And I feel embarrassed being associated with some of the tripe directed at SL on otib in the last few weeks. Funny how it was all quiet at the start of the season?   

Agree whole heartedly with your post Spoons..

Respectfully though I mentioned via Otib my abiding need to know (ever since the thought first entered my vacant head) I asked @Badger (thus far sadly no response, I shall continue to wait in anticipation though with bated breath) if Steve has ever or still does sometimes wake his other half up with a morning cuppa singing the words ....

'Wake Up Maggie, I Think I've Got Something To Say To You'  :travolta:

I just need to know!!!   ... if I was married to a Maggie I'd definitely have done so loadsa times ... :) 

Come on Mr & Mrs L .. He has hasn't he ?  :thumbsup:  bet Jon knows.. eh Jon?

We need a few smiles in and around the forum and club right now a..so come on Rod oops, I mean Steve!

Archived