Magnusson

Cotterill

Reid

Brownhill

O'Dowda

Paterson

Taylor

Djuric

Nothing to lose, think we'll see something like this given he said he'll pick an "energetic" team, whatever that means....

2-1 Toon. Colback and Mitrovic with theirs, Taylor with ours.

Like that team, for me Frankie fielding should come back in for giefer. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

(3-5-2)

Giefer 

Wright

Flint

Magnusson

Cotterill

Reid

Brownhill

O'Dowda

Paterson

Taylor

Djuric

Nothing to lose, think we'll see something like this given he said he'll pick an "energetic" team, whatever that means....

Like this although would swap Brownhill for Hegeler. Will not be suprised to see 352 formation and think would better then 442.  

1 hour ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

(3-5-2)

Giefer 

Wright

Flint

Magnusson

Cotterill

Reid

Brownhill

O'Dowda

Paterson

Taylor

Djuric

The problem with the whole situation is players like;

Magnusson, Reid, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Paterson have all been in and out the squad throughout the season. There is no consistency with either the squad or the starting 11. No wonder the players appear to need a lift. 

Nothing against the team you've selected by the way. Few beers on the Toon, then hopefully what team will actually turn up!

11 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

For Lee Johnson sake and 3k travelling  city fans i hope we get something out of this game. If it goes wrong and 3k city fans chanting for Johnson out could be the last straw for the board and sl. Blackburn won there so always  believe.  Coyr. 

I expect if we are losing 50,000 Geordies will join in a chorus or two of

" sacked in the morning " .

:blink:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

I wonder how long we shall have to wait before playing in front of 50,000 fans again after today's visit to St. James' Park? With Bristol City and Bristol Rugby both looking possible and probable candidates for relegation, respectively, I suspect it might be a fair few years. Let us all set the clocks back because today I would rather not talk about doom and gloom, there are plenty of threads for that. I was going to pluck a famous Newcastle player of the past and naturally thought of Kevin Keegan. He was 66 years old on Valentines day and might have been an interesting read but then I thought why not write about something else not necessarily only about Newcastle United Football Club. That 'huge' yo yo club of the top two tiers of English football. Interestingly when Keegan came to Newcastle for the first time from Southampton in the early 90's they were only averaging 17,000 a home game. His magnetism and dynamism on the pitch substantially increased that from day one and they have never really looked back save for a few mishaps in relegation of course. They are nothing if not an enigma.

Thomas Casey I recall fondly delivered fish to our door in the late 70's and early 80's. He had one of those Sherpa vans that opened vertically at the back. I always remember that because Mr. Casey, as I respectfully called him, was always warning me to stand back as what seemed to me, as just a little boy, a huge great big door swinging outward and upward to reveal a marvellous collection of fish of all type and description. Mum was, and remains, an avid fish lover and that rubbed off on me to this day. Rarely do I not choose fish in a restaurant. Thomas Casey, according to the Bristol Evening Post, is one of only 15 former professional footballers who graced both the St James' Park and Ashton Gate pitches in their respective team colours. He was a lovely man, born March 11th 1930 in Comber, County Down and sadly no longer with us, having passed away on January 13th 2009 somewhere in the rather lovely county of Somerset, Nailsea I believe. Casey played more games for City than any of his other clubs; Newcastle came the closest with 116 appearances to City's 122. 

His time at Newcastle was a very successful one; the club won the FA Cup a second time in succession and contested the Charity Shield for which Casey played in 1952. Interestingly in the FA Cup of the same year Newcastle beat Arsenal 1-0 with the goal being scored by George Robledo. Robledo's brother also played in the same match and together they must have formed one of the first foreign duos of any English team. In fact, having done a bit more digging, they were;  Ted Robledo started his footballing career at Barnsley with his brother George and first division Newcastle United signed him on 27 January 1949. Newcastle were only interested in signing his brother, but neither of the Robledo brothers, born to an English mother and Chilean father in Iquique, would move without the other. Their appearance together in the 1952 FA Cup Final was the first time more than one foreign player had appeared in a cup final eleven. George, the striker, was a prolific goal scorer for the club notching up 82 goals in just 146 appearances. While Tom Casey, being a Wing Half, was never a big scorer of goals he was known for his tough 'cast iron' tackling and it may explain why the then manager Peter Doherty brought him to City where the fellow Irishman managed to juggle club and the Northern Irish national team at the same time. It did not seem to faze Doherty because he took his country, including Casey, to the 1958 World Cup where they famously reached the Quarter Finals. Casey played as a forward in two of the matches at the Sweden finals alongside the likes of Blanchflower, McIlroy and Gregg. Some team they had. He had been a well travelled footballer and manager. A journey that took him from Bangor to Leeds, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Portsmouth, City, Toronto, Gloucester City (as player manager), Ammanford and Lisburn Distillery where he also played and managed and finally hung up his playing boots in 1969. He was caretaker manager at Everton in 1972 while Harry Catterick recuperated from illness  going on to manage the Northern Ireland youth team, narrowly missing out on the top job and had a successful spell as Grimsby boss where he is fondly remembered for building the core of a team from their youth academy that only narrowly missed out on promotion to the top flight in the 1983/4 season. In 1977 he went on to manage Reykjavik and then Harstad in Norway. Perhaps his time from Grimsby onwards gave him the idea of becoming a fishmonger because he certainly knew his fish from those days waiting for Mum to choose what to have for supper that evening. And always, the fish was delicious.

Tom Casey, played and managed with distinction. He was tenacious, a bulldozer who was renown for being the hardest working player on any pitch. Maybe he got that from growing up on the Shankill Road in Belfast. How City could do with that sort of player now. Casey was a popular figure at Ashton Gate and while he only scored 9 goals for the club his work rate was enough to keep him at the club for four seasons usually in that inside left role behind the strikers such as big John Atyeo. And for the princely sum of £6,000, paid to Portsmouth, he was certainly a decent investment.

Meanwhile, after leaving football management in 1962, Peter Doherty went on to scout for Liverpool unearthing many very successful footballers including a certain Kevin Keegan.

Enjoy Newcastle today folks for all of you venturing north. At least the place has a decent life after dark in which to bury one's disappointment. I am in absolute awe at the level of support our fans give to Bristol City Football Club when travelling such distances at such time and cost. I also salute all you regulars at Ashton Gate and if you feel like venting your spleen I say go right ahead, you have paid for that privilege and don't let anybody tell you otherwise, nobody. 

Saluting you all from Manila. UTC.

58b0f7395e65e_CaseyTommy.jpg.29f6e75c5a66b6b778e1a0fda6fa24cd.jpg

Thanks to Esmond for posting a thread on Tom following his passing..

Condensed Version

Newcastle:

Go out on the piss after we get stuffed  :drunk2:

• Like 10

Waking up to a grey day in Newcastle today. I'm looking forward to being joined by more travelling fans, I'm sure we will do ourselves proud and make some noise, whether the team can be arsed to respond is another thing.

I was last here at least 25 years ago, it's changed a bit from open terracing. I travelled all that way for a goalless draw back then, somehow I don't think that will be the case today. I hope we can score at least once before we do our usual callapse. 

Actually it's just started raining again after a rainy evening. wrap up warm too people, it's colder up 'ere!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

I wonder how long we shall have to wait before playing in front of 50,000 fans again after today's visit to St. James' Park? With Bristol City and Bristol Rugby both looking possible and probable candidates for relegation, respectively, I suspect it might be a fair few years. Let us all set the clocks back because today I would rather not talk about doom and gloom, there are plenty of threads for that. I was going to pluck a famous Newcastle player of the past and naturally thought of Kevin Keegan. He was 66 years old on Valentines day and might have been an interesting read but then I thought why not write about something else not necessarily only about Newcastle United Football Club. That 'huge' yo yo club of the top two tiers of English football. Interestingly when Keegan came to Newcastle for the first time from Southampton in the early 90's they were only averaging 17,000 a home game. His magnetism and dynamism on the pitch substantially increased that from day one and they have never really looked back save for a few mishaps in relegation of course. They are nothing if not an enigma.

Thomas Casey I recall fondly delivered fish to our door in the late 70's and early 80's. He had one of those Sherpa vans that opened vertically at the back. I always remember that because Mr. Casey, as I respectfully called him, was always warning me to stand back as what seemed to me, as just a little boy, a huge great big door swinging outward and upward to reveal a marvellous collection of fish of all type and description. Mum was, and remains, an avid fish lover and that rubbed off on me to this day. Rarely do I not choose fish in a restaurant. Thomas Casey, according to the Bristol Evening Post, is one of only 15 former professional footballers who graced both the St James' Park and Ashton Gate pitches in their respective team colours. He was a lovely man, born March 11th 1930 in Comber, County Down and sadly no longer with us, having passed away on January 13th 2009 somewhere in the rather lovely county of Somerset, Nailsea I believe. Casey played more games for City than any of his other clubs; Newcastle came the closest with 116 appearances to City's 122. 

His time at Newcastle was a very successful one; the club won the FA Cup a second time in succession and contested the Charity Shield for which Casey played in 1952. Interestingly in the FA Cup of the same year Newcastle beat Arsenal 1-0 with the goal being scored by George Robledo. Robledo's brother also played in the same match and together they must have formed one of the first foreign duos of any English team. In fact, having done a bit more digging, they were;  Ted Robledo started his footballing career at Barnsley with his brother George and first division Newcastle United signed him on 27 January 1949. Newcastle were only interested in signing his brother, but neither of the Robledo brothers, born to an English mother and Chilean father in Iquique, would move without the other. Their appearance together in the 1952 FA Cup Final was the first time more than one foreign player had appeared in a cup final eleven. George, the striker, was a prolific goal scorer for the club notching up 82 goals in just 146 appearances. While Tom Casey, being a Wing Half, was never a big scorer of goals he was known for his tough 'cast iron' tackling and it may explain why the then manager Peter Doherty brought him to City where the fellow Irishman managed to juggle club and the Northern Irish national team at the same time. It did not seem to faze Doherty because he took his country, including Casey, to the 1958 World Cup where they famously reached the Quarter Finals. Casey played as a forward in two of the matches at the Sweden finals alongside the likes of Blanchflower, McIlroy and Gregg. Some team they had. He had been a well travelled footballer and manager. A journey that took him from Bangor to Leeds, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Portsmouth, City, Toronto, Gloucester City (as player manager), Ammanford and Lisburn Distillery where he also played and managed and finally hung up his playing boots in 1969. He was caretaker manager at Everton in 1972 while Harry Catterick recuperated from illness  going on to manage the Northern Ireland youth team, narrowly missing out on the top job and had a successful spell as Grimsby boss where he is fondly remembered for building the core of a team from their youth academy that only narrowly missed out on promotion to the top flight in the 1983/4 season. In 1977 he went on to manage Reykjavik and then Harstad in Norway. Perhaps his time from Grimsby onwards gave him the idea of becoming a fishmonger because he certainly knew his fish from those days waiting for Mum to choose what to have for supper that evening. And always, the fish was delicious.

Tom Casey, played and managed with distinction. He was tenacious, a bulldozer who was renown for being the hardest working player on any pitch. Maybe he got that from growing up on the Shankill Road in Belfast. How City could do with that sort of player now. Casey was a popular figure at Ashton Gate and while he only scored 9 goals for the club his work rate was enough to keep him at the club for four seasons usually in that inside left role behind the strikers such as big John Atyeo. And for the princely sum of £6,000, paid to Portsmouth, he was certainly a decent investment.

Meanwhile, after leaving football management in 1962, Peter Doherty went on to scout for Liverpool unearthing many very successful footballers including a certain Kevin Keegan.

Enjoy Newcastle today folks for all of you venturing north. At least the place has a decent life after dark in which to bury one's disappointment. I am in absolute awe at the level of support our fans give to Bristol City Football Club when travelling such distances at such time and cost. I also salute all you regulars at Ashton Gate and if you feel like venting your spleen I say go right ahead, you have paid for that privilege and don't let anybody tell you otherwise, nobody. 

Saluting you all from Manila. UTC.

58b0f7395e65e_CaseyTommy.jpg.29f6e75c5a66b6b778e1a0fda6fa24cd.jpg

Thanks to Esmond for posting a thread on Tom following his passing..

Keegan went to Newcastle in the early 80s. I remember Oz from Auf Weidersehn Pet having that as his only ray of sunshine!

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Waking up to a grey day in Newcastle today. I'm looking forward to being joined by more travelling fans, I'm sure we will do ourselves proud and make some noise, whether the team can be arsed to respond is another thing.

I was last here at least 25 years ago, it's changed a bit from open terracing. I travelled all that way for a goalless draw back then, somehow I don't think that will be the case today. I hope we can score at least once before we do our usual callapse. 

Actually it's just started raining again after a rainy evening. wrap up warm too people, it's colder up 'ere!

Thanks Maggie.  Is Steve with you ?

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding this fan of Tommy Casey. A really good and solid footballer as I remember.

As for today, I am forgetting for a moment the catastrophes that are LJ, SL, and our silent Board, and am turning back the clock 70 years, when I cared nothing but for a City win and some player being the hero of the hour. Perhaps that player will be one of our own, Reid or Cotterill, perhaps a newbie, Taylor or Djuric, or perhaps a final hurrah from Wibs

COYR

• Like 1