IGNORED

Mr Lansdown - I salute you

Simon79

1 hour ago, jimtastic said:

I was lucky enough to get a hospitality invite at St James today and was sitting two seats in front of SL. Before the match, I went over, shook him warmly by the hand and thanked him for everything he's done for the club.

A run of bad results and in some quarters, suddenly SL is the BCFC's own footballing anti-Christ. But I'll bet the knockers will be demanding that he put his hand in his pocket again when the summer comes, regardless of whether we're playing Championship or L1 football next season.

My two pence worth:

I'm not blinkered enough to not see what's going on, but SL's vision and intent are brilliant. And so is his generosity. Do people honestly think that the club would be in a better place now if SL hadn't gotten involved?

The one big question I would put to SL (and I would ask the question rather than just criticise) is why he doesn't seem to manage the club in the way that (surely?) he managed his businesses. If he had a senior role open at Hargreaves Lansdown, I'm sure he'd go after the best possible candidate in their field, with a great track record and enough experience to do the best possible job for the company. Sure - you develop departments and talent pools, but you do that by having the best possible person at the top to instil processes and develop in those areas. Applying that to BCFC, you could argue that he should have gone with good managerial pedigree or at least someone who had gone beyond just "promise" at Oldham and Barnsley. Or if SL really wanted LJ involved, fine - but get a really decent, experienced and hands-on Director of Football to develop and advise him, and also use that DofF to develop the academy, work on training etc etc.

Finally, for what it's worth, I thought we played a good game today. Losing a two goal lead to top of the table Newcastle away is no disgrace, and I thought we looked like a strong unit - certainly not relegation fodder.

You had a chat with SL but then you decide to post 'the one big question I (you) would put to SL' on here?! Why didn't you ask him that one big question today then, face to face?!

Must admit I like mr SL he got some balls and I admire him. I like LJ as a person and would love it to work as back when tinnion had a go but long term ambition it is not going to work and I hate saying this as I love this club but let's get real SL has big ambitions sorry gaffer Lee is not the future, too many changes, nothing settled and saying pick a team he trusts? So what is this DNA thing hey? Supposed to fine tooth come players for the right fit for the club? Where has that got us? 4th from bottom and who picked these players? And I agree we can't keep changing managers ha! What 7 managers lots of change but it is the same group of people doing the hiring?.. So I guess thinking outside the box is needed. Sorry I love this club and love what SL has done with a lot of Bristol city but come on we think less stuffy FA and more Bill shankley and that may take a manager telling all this Bristol sport and MA no your not right instead of yes yes yes. Oh love Bristol city no matter what, but with the resources we have we should be a Watford or Bournemouth. Still respect to SL.

10 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Blimey this forum is hilarious. Celebrating like we've won the FA Cup by throwing away a 2.0 lead against a Championship team who baterrred us! The fact remains we are in a dire position and LJ needs to go. 

Agree, one swallow dosent make a Spring; we are in this position because of poor management. We should be challenging for at least a play off spot. Yesterday showed that we could be right up behind Newcastle challenging them for promotion; Is it the fans fault we are not or the players fault? The only reason is poor management, we don't select the players or the team and they don't select themselves, so its down to the manager and the person who selected him.

We reap what we sow don't we Steve. 

20 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Agree, one swallow dosent make a Spring; we are in this position because of poor management. We should be challenging for at least a play off spot. Yesterday showed that we could be right up behind Newcastle challenging them for promotion; Is it the fans fault we are not or the players fault? The only reason is poor management, we don't select the players or the team and they don't select themselves, so its down to the manager and the person who selected him.

We reap what we sow don't we Steve. 

To be fair, the players do have a big part to play in the result of a game. I also believe SL is trying to change the way he sows. 

15 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Because he is useless and inept. Has proven that over and over and over.

Celebrating staying up this season will be regarded as a mamoth failure after the money he has spent

If we do stay up, which i dont believe we will, i honestly think this is how LJ will see it.......a success. I can already imagine the end of season interviews of him talking about how brilliant he has done to keep us up whilst walking around the ground fist pumping and celebrating like he has done something spectacular. This club is a joke.

8 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

To be fair, the players do have a big part to play in the result of a game. I also believe SL is trying to change the way he sows. 

Of course they do but they didn't bring themselves here, neither did LJ  come to that.

If the "management" are to take the praise for yesterday they must also man up and take responsibility for prev poor results that came before and the position we are in the league. Not pass poor performances on to the players and/or fans "not helping"

9 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The title of this thread reminds me of what the gladiators said on entering the arenas of Ancient Rome, we who are about to die salute you.  

It's a really odd thing I'm going to say about a fellow city fan. I'm sure your a very nice, well reasoned, intelligent chap in the real world;  But.................if there's one thing that at present I find more irritating than bumping into a gASShead, it's probably seeing one of your repetitive posts! More tedious than a Bristol City side squandering a multiple goal lead!! FFS Ivor, we know your views on BS; give it a bloody rest aye? Some more of your thoughts might be interesting though. Though I won't hold my breath.

9 hours ago, jimtastic said:

I was lucky enough to get a hospitality invite at St James today and was sitting two seats in front of SL. Before the match, I went over, shook him warmly by the hand and thanked him for everything he's done for the club.

A run of bad results and in some quarters, suddenly SL is the BCFC's own footballing anti-Christ. But I'll bet the knockers will be demanding that he put his hand in his pocket again when the summer comes, regardless of whether we're playing Championship or L1 football next season.

My two pence worth:

I'm not blinkered enough to not see what's going on, but SL's vision and intent are brilliant. And so is his generosity. Do people honestly think that the club would be in a better place now if SL hadn't gotten involved?

The one big question I would put to SL (and I would ask the question rather than just criticise) is why he doesn't seem to manage the club in the way that (surely?) he managed his businesses. If he had a senior role open at Hargreaves Lansdown, I'm sure he'd go after the best possible candidate in their field, with a great track record and enough experience to do the best possible job for the company. Sure - you develop departments and talent pools, but you do that by having the best possible person at the top to instil processes and develop in those areas. Applying that to BCFC, you could argue that he should have gone with good managerial pedigree or at least someone who had gone beyond just "promise" at Oldham and Barnsley. Or if SL really wanted LJ involved, fine - but get a really decent, experienced and hands-on Director of Football to develop and advise him, and also use that DofF to develop the academy, work on training etc etc.

Finally, for what it's worth, I thought we played a good game today. Losing a two goal lead to top of the table Newcastle away is no disgrace, and I thought we looked like a strong unit - certainly not relegation fodder.

I would suggest this is really the first time Lansdown has taken much stick. Many owners have endured a lot worse for less. Considering some of the poor appointments made, he's remained on a pedestal. 

I am incredibly grateful though of what he's given us and would be very disappointed when he's finally had enough. Yet no one is immune from criticism.

I would take a guess at the reason he appoints managers like Millen, Tinnion, Johnson etc is maybe because they don't challenge or push him. I can imagine Cotterill did, as would a Warnock type character. 

Id admire his loyalty to LJ but also feel it's blinded. 

I hope to god we don't go down. Will set us back years. Hopefully stubbornness pays off and LJ can pull a bloody large rabbit out. 

38 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

It's a really odd thing I'm going to say about a fellow city fan. I'm sure your a very nice, well reasoned, intelligent chap in the real world;  But.................if there's one thing that at present I find more irritating than bumping into a gASShead, it's probably seeing one of your repetitive posts! More tedious than a Bristol City side squandering a multiple goal lead!! FFS Ivor, we know your views on BS; give it a bloody rest aye? Some more of your thoughts might be interesting though. Though I won't hold my breath.

How many times do you have to be asked politely to criticise the post not the poster?

One day you may accept this basic premise of  otib and democracy

Just because you hold a different view does not give you the right to demand that others views should not be expressed

This is called fascism, or in today's world, the alt-right

Long Live Free Speech

18 hours ago, Simon79 said:

How refreshing it is to see an owner/chairman have the courage of his convictions. He had a plan, which I think 99% of us thought was a good plan. Most of us wanted our club to be different from the sacking culture that is modern day football as well. So when it would be easier to sack his man or to disappear for a while, he comes out and speaks. I admire both of these reactions, to what must be a very difficult situation for him. I believe that the club are putting the building blocks in place for a brighter future. I'm really pleased he has this belief in what he is trying to do, I agree with him for what it's worth! I know I'm currently in the minority ( possibly on my own!) , I said months ago that I'm fed up with sacking & rebuilding. So I hope that LJ and the squad start putting some results together & pull away from the relegation zone sooner rather than later! Always Believe. TIN HAT IS FIRMLY ON!!! COYR

When you say club you mean the SL dream of all sports under the dream of Bristol Sport and all playing in the same stadium; there can be no doubt of SL`s care of BCFC  however there are many who would prefer it to be just BCFC playing in their own ground.

There is now an ocean full of suits and their helpers employed in that umbrella that is BS is this taking his eye off the ball in us. Even in the BCFC plan just how many are employed that aren't players?

13 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

When you say club you mean the SL dream of all sports under the dream of Bristol Sport and all playing in the same stadium; there can be no doubt of SL`s care of BCFC  however there are many who would prefer it to be just BCFC playing in their own ground.

There is now an ocean full of suits and their helpers employed in that umbrella that is BS is this taking his eye off the ball in us. Even in the BCFC plan just how many are employed that aren't players?

BS employees on tea break going down to get a £6 hot dog

men_in_suits.jpg

12 hours ago, jimtastic said:

My two pence worth:

While, unfortunately, I have never had the privilege of meeting Steve Lansdown, I do share a few things with him; we were both born in Bristol in the 1950s, we both now live in the Channel Islands and we are both long-standing and totally committed fans of Bristol City. One, if not both of us, regularly reads to this forum.

The similarities, as far as I know, end there!

As you say he is an incredibly successful businessman who, as the founder, has invested hugely in Bristol Sport as well as being the majority share holder at BCFC he is also the majority shareholder of Bristol Rugby and Bristol Flyers. He strikes me as a shy, reserved almost bashful man who does not naturally enjoy the spotlight.

So I too have been thinking about what informs his decision-making and why I believe he will remain faithful to LJ, at least until the end of the season.

In his business decisions I suggest he:

Plans for the long-term
Is prepared to take considered risks
Surrounds himself with committed and supportive colleagues

As much as he is a fan of BCFC it is for him also a long-term business venture, so it seems reasonable to suggest that his business acumen and experience will inform his actions at BCFC.

With these three hunches in mind I conclude SL will continue to stand by LJ. Furthermore, I'm sure his philosophy towards business will also be critical when the day does come to replace LJ. Therefore, I think LJ will only be replaced when somebody, who is prepared to accept the long-term approach that Mr Lansdown is investing in, becomes available. Which is unlikely until the end of the season. Appointing somebody who, like LJ, buys into 'the project' is I suggest fundamental to SL. For many successful / proven managers however, this longer-term vision would be unlikely to appeal.

If I am even close to what might be going on in Mr Lansdown's thinking then the ideal scenario this season would be incremental improvements on the pitch as we gradually move towards becoming a consistently strong Championship side. As we know this has not happened this season, although things did start off rather well. 

Like all City fans SL wants success, however, my gut-feeling is he will continue to back LJ despite our appallingly results. As SL has noted (on more than one occasion) we have been decent in patches in most games this season.  He, along with all City fans, will hope that we can secure survival in the Championship and then I think he will look afresh to see which managers, who are prepared to follow the strategy set out for the longer-term, are available.  

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

How many times do you have to be asked politely to criticise the post not the poster?

One day you may accept this basic premise of  otib and democracy

Just because you hold a different view does not give you the right to demand that others views should not be expressed

This is called fascism, or in today's world, the alt-right

Long Live Free Speech

I believe I did criticise your posts, not you - maybe you should read it again Ivorguy? In fact I was very polite about what you may be like in reality!

Free speech also allows me the option of politely asking if you could stop repeating yourself. Your posts do get quite tedious at times. Just my opinion tho. I'm sure the majority on here love your posts, and I'm just being a grumpy old git; as his team, of whom I watch week in week, out aren't doing too well ;)

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You had a chat with SL but then you decide to post 'the one big question I (you) would put to SL' on here?! Why didn't you ask him that one big question today then, face to face?!

It was about 30 seconds before kick-off in the stand ;) Can't imagine he'd have been too receptive to my line of questioning!

3 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I believe I did criticise your posts, not you - maybe you should read it again Ivorguy? In fact I was very polite about what you may be like in reality!

Free speech also allows me the option of politely asking if you could stop repeating yourself. Your posts do get quite tedious at times. Just my opinion tho. I'm sure the majority on here love your posts, and I'm just being a grumpy old git; as his team, of whom I watch week in week, out aren't doing too well ;)

Fair enough

At least we can agree that we would like min of 4 points from next two games, hopefully along with everyone else on otib.

On 25/02/2017 at 15:13, Simon79 said:

How refreshing it is to see an owner/chairman have the courage of his convictions. He had a plan, which I think 99% of us thought was a good plan. Most of us wanted our club to be different from the sacking culture that is modern day football as well. So when it would be easier to sack his man or to disappear for a while, he comes out and speaks. I admire both of these reactions, to what must be a very difficult situation for him. I believe that the club are putting the building blocks in place for a brighter future. I'm really pleased he has this belief in what he is trying to do, I agree with him for what it's worth! I know I'm currently in the minority ( possibly on my own!) , I said months ago that I'm fed up with sacking & rebuilding. So I hope that LJ and the squad start putting some results together & pull away from the relegation zone sooner rather than later! Always Believe. TIN HAT IS FIRMLY ON!!! COYR

CONGRATULATIONS to all. But a special mention to Mr Lansdown, you had the bottle to stick with your beliefs when it would of been easier to buckle under the pressure. COYR 

Can we not just accept 99.99% of City fans are bloody delighted with the way the season has ended, rather than score points? Odd forum if there were not questions about LJ after our worst run, well, ever. It is remarkable to me how the fans stuck with the team during that run, other than a bit of sounding off in safe spaces like this one.

Having another cider. We won, get in!

Just now, cityexile said:

Can we not just accept 99.99% of City fans are bloody delighted with the way the season has ended, rather than score points? Odd forum if there were not questions about LJ after our worst run, well, ever. It is remarkable to me how the fans stuck with the team during that run, other than a bit of sounding off in safe spaces like this one.

Having another cider. We won, get in!

Exactly....The fact most of the sounding off went on here, kept it out of the stadium home and away. City supporters deserve the plaudits for sticking with it....

A win against Birmingham will have us in a end of season position we barely thought possible two seasons in a row!...

Soooo pleased for you Mr Lansdown, so pleased for your staff, so pleased for the players & so pleased for the fans. It’s great to be this happy & proud of your club. It’s great when a plan comes together! COYR 

Archived