LJ and McWinless. The similarities are uncanny

Br 1st ol

Both young managers

Both said to be visionaries

Both allegedly sought after

Both sought to establish pillars, frameworks etc and bought into the city plan

Both had mixed results with recruitment

Both failed to trust a settled team and formation 

Neither knew who were best the players and combinations and randomly changed for each game 

Both had terrible runs

One lost their job....

24 minutes ago, Br 1st ol said:

Both young managers

Both said to be visionaries

Both allegedly sought after

Both sought to establish pillars, frameworks etc and bought into the city plan

Both had mixed results with recruitment

Both failed to trust a settled team and formation 

Neither knew who were best the players and combinations and randomly changed for each game 

Both had terrible runs

One lost their job....

Mcinnes was sought after at the time. I remember he was linked with west brom job in the premier league more than once.

It's weird I was thinking the same based on the start of the season.  McInnes if you remember had a good run of results, there was talking get about him wanting to extend his contract.. Then the wheels came off and soon after he was sacked.

Very similar except the last bit...  So far!

19 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

The main difference is that Mcinnes was tasked with slashing the wage bill whilst Little Lee has been backed massively financially! 

This was going to be my point exactly, McInnes' job at the time with the squad of players at his disposal was far tougher in comparison to what Johnson is currently managing.

I don't think it'll be long until McInnes is sought after again mind with the work he's doing at Aberdeen (In an albeit poor league) Scotland manager sooner rather than later I reckon.

It wasn'tr an easy time for the club but his squad was not a bad one- lower midtable:

Heaton, Cunningham, Adomah, Skuse, Baldock, Davies, Stead. Perhaps the balance was wrong- one too many strikers signed- i.e. Davies for whom the cash would have been better spent on a good experienced centre back, Cisse should have been kept on also. At least 3 of those, plus perhaps Baldock would get in the side now- Heaton, Cunningham and Albert would all walk in. Baldock would be amazing backup/partner for Tammy.

Anderson also had a good Championship record in general- with us, not so much.

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

This 'great start to the season' that McInnes had was actually 2 wins. 

It's all about perspective.  2 wins in close proximity constitutes excellent form.  Our last 2 league wins are spread across different years, let alone months!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:
  • Heaton
  • Cunningham
  • Skuse
  • Albert
  • Anderson
  • Baldock
  • Davies
  • Stead

Pretty sure we had Neil Danns on loan too for a while- and he was decent.

Should a squad with players such as that have gone down? Let alone as badly as we did.

Wasnt our defence for a lot of the time Foster-McManus-Bates-McGivern though (also with an extremely out of form Fontaine)?!

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Please explain why?

We may well have spent £10 million, however we also sold around £17 million of our players, therefore we needed with a net spend of +2 million. 

I was told by a good source that Kodjia was always going and the fee was always known to be in excess of £10+

Thats the only reason we spent that much money in the window. Overall we made a profit, had we spent £15 million and kept Kodjia, Ayling etc.

We'd be in a much better position (15 goals extra plus a good right back)

20 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

We may well have spent £10 million, however we also sold around £17 million of our players, therefore we needed with a net spend of +2 million. 

I was told by a good source that Kodjia was always going and the fee was always known to be in excess of £10+

Thats the only reason we spent that much money in the window. Overall we made a profit, had we spent £15 million and kept Kodjia, Ayling etc.

We'd be in a much better position (15 goals extra plus a good right back)

It's not about transfer fees know is it! It's all about wages and I would imagine our wage bill is now top 10 in the division and Mciness was working with bottom three! That's why he signed all that Scottish filth! 

An example of the wages we are now paying is bailey wright leaving Preston to join us-just for the extra wages we are paying!

johnson has no excuses for how far backwards he has taken us!

2 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It's not about transfer fees know is it! It's all about wages and I would imagine our wage bill is now top 10 in the division and Mciness was working with bottom three! That's why he signed all that Scottish filth! 

An example of the wages we are now paying is bailey wright leaving Preston to join us-just for the extra wages we are paying!

Do you realise you can't say 'Scottish filth' on OTIB?

Expect a leg-slapping from the moderating team ........... when they get out of the pub later.

:nono:

tfj:protest:

2 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Are you sure our wage bill under McInnes was bottom 3? I'm not! I think it was probably lower midtable. Now I think it is probably midtable but time will tell when the accounts for this season come out.

Agreed about Johnson running out of excuses though, with the January signings he was drinking in the last chance saloon.

9 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

The main difference is that Mcinnes was tasked with slashing the wage bill whilst Little Lee has been backed massively financially! 

Very true.

We had a host of overpaid, under-performing nobodies who were here simply for the money and for that reason alone, McInnes didn't stand a chance. Whereas, LJ has been provided with funds that DMc could only dream of.

I am convinced that if, last January, we had employed McInnes straight from St Johnstone instead of LJ, we would be hovering around 7th to 11th place with more than a passing eye on sneaking into the pray-offs. I do not believe that we would have sunk anywhere near as low as we have under LJ.

Archived