IGNORED

Can you remember your reaction

Alan Dicks

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You surprise me.  What has made you become such a fan of LJ, when we are now in a worse position?  Rosler is my current choice.

Same here re Monk.

Rosler was my choice at the time (I also backed him at 40/1).  He's been complimentary about our club in the past and seemed a great fit for us.

But he didn't get the gig.

Contrary to OTIB folklore I'm not an LJ fanboy, I just don't feel the problems start or finish with the Head Coach.

I'm coming round to the idea that he's not the right solution but IMO there's more to it than just changing out Lee. That said, I still feel we'll avoid the drop.

I wonder where We'd be if we'd appointed Uwe.  I'd be £800 better off for a start :facepalm:

However if what some say about the environment at BCFC is like is true there's no chance he'd come here.  Same goes for most proven managerial candidates.

Whatever happens, we've a squad bloated full of mediocrity and whoever is in charge will have a hell of a lot of work on their hands to sort out this shambles.

I was genuinely hopeful. Young up and coming manager who talked the talk and who I saw as being in direct contrast to SC before him who I had seriously had enough of come the end. 

Someone who knew the club, had a genuine affiliation with us and professed to love BCFC. 

I didn't want him to join as head coach, but I got behind him and hoped it would work and there was something in him his past record didn't show.

I've given him time but by early January I decided unfortunately that I was correct with my initial instinct.

im just sick of it all now and just can't explain why he is still at the helm of this club..

The lack of championship experience doesn't/didn't bother me. It's the same game and in theory you have better players playing against better players. Rafa doesn't have 'championship' experience.  Following the lack of experience logic, Eddie Howe and Graham Taylor would have just busked around the lower leagues.

The contract extension did.

Bemused to say the least, his late playing days with us he was rubbish and could not wait to get rid of the ball, usually turning toward his own goal - got told off roundly by others around me when I said he didn't have the bottle to manage - we had the results going our way and could have installed a capable manager post season.

52 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Or how you initially felt when Lee Johnson was announced as manager/Head coach?

For me it was utter disbelief that we would go for someone with no experience of managing at championship level and had achieved absolutely nothing below championship level.

As for the contract extension, that left me speechless

Initially I was astounded! Thought it was a joke when I saw him as the favourite. Then I warmed to him with the wins and a steady end to the season. Then I was excited with the summer signings and now.....now I just want him to get his grubby little mits off of my football club and **** off.

Totally underwhelmed , then started to read some of the bull about him and became optimistic.
Even a few of his early decisions seemed to tie in with his bio, eager to learn, travelled to other clubs to find new coaching methods etc etc.
I really think he may yet make a half decent coach, in a few years when he's learnt a bit more and got some proper experience over a few years.

58 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Or how you initially felt when Lee Johnson was announced as manager/Head coach?

For me it was utter disbelief that we would go for someone with no experience of managing at championship level and had achieved absolutely nothing below championship level.

As for the contract extension, that left me speechless

My thoughts exactly.

Didn't rate him as a player but that should be no barrier to being a good manager but I don't rate as a manager.

I thought it was a very strange appointment based on his friendship with Lansdown, what's a the old saying it's not what you know it's who you know.

My reaction was that it was an interesting choice, and give him a go. There is no magic formula with appointing a manager, so always keep an open mind, and for a while, it did look a very good appointment. Sadly things have tailed off slightly......

I was hopeful. I felt like Bristol City could have been the club he fulfills his potential as a young up and comer. I liked Gary Johnson a lot and hoped that Lee could continue the Johnson legacy.

I continued to be excited until October. Then the wheels fell off, the steering wheel caught on fire and the engine exploded. 

I really thought Landsdown was going to go for a tried and trusted Champ (or even Prem) manager at the time. I was hoping for Monk, and even lumped some money on him when rumours were going around. I was underwhelmed at the time, but was quickly won over by Johnson though, and was impressed with his ability to change games with his substitution/tactical changes.

I now see all of that as a fluke. A coach that can preside over two 10 game losing streaks in consectutive seasons is not someone i want guiding my team. Yes, he went on a winning streak at Barnsley after the losing streak there, but just hearing the vitreol from the Barnsley fans tells me that they only remember the losing streak. And that will be the case here. I don't see him ever getting back on the good side of the majority of City fans. He is done at this club, and the sooner Lansdown does the right thing, the better.

I was as ever, quite ambivalent to the appointment.

I moaned at Cotterill but after the success he brought us, I shut me mouth and thought what do I know.

I then thought well LJ deserves a chance. Even when the cracks started to appear I hoped he'd turn it around. I still supported him when most had given up on him. I can honestly say I don't feel anything towards him, I Don't hate him, I don't like him... I just wish he'd leave.

Whenever there's a new managerial appointment in the offing, supporters want to be excited and enthused by the new man. I wasn't excited by LJ's appointment. I thought it was an opportunity missed to bring in a big name who could take the club forward. Will the next appointment excite I wonder...

Like most posting on this thread, I was fairly surprised and underwhelmed when he was appointed. I was hoping that we gave Wade & Pembo until the end of the season and then reassess the situation. It did occur to me at the time that SL was perhaps hedging his bets that if we did go back down that would give LJ an opportunity to rebuild as he wanted. My other concern was that LJ was a Marmite player, and that if things started to go a bit wrong with him in charge it could get ugly, as those same feelings might re-surface. However never in my wildest dreams did I think he could be this much of a spectacular failure. How wrong I was!

I was gutted at the way Cotts was treated, but was ready to give LJ a chance. I pointed out at the time (no, I don't know how to find it) that if it all went pear-shaped (as it has) than the fans' reaction would be particularly bitter (as it has) :(

At first I felt cheated that we didn't seem to consider seriously the other candidates, especially after Ashton's comments that we would be surprised who had expressed interest in the job .

It all seemed ' rushed ' when it didn't need to be . Pembo had settled the ship .

Then I thought that he had done a pretty good job at both Oldham and Barnsley so was gently optimistic.

:blink:

I let my dislike of him as a tippy tappy, sideways, backwards, non tackling midfielder cloud my judgement on him as a manager and made myself believe he could do it. 

Now i believe he has us playing as he used to and i now dislike him twice, once for a shit midfielder and now as our leader.

Very pleased actually. I had always thought we'd go for him one day, but was surprised it was so soon. I liked the idea of us having a young, progressive head coach who would have us playing good football and cared about the club. 

I was pretty optimistic about the future and hopeful it would work out well.

Sadly, looks like I was very wrong.

Archived