IGNORED

Whose fault is this mess? Yes, it IS the FANS

Gert Mare

10 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Just out of interest what exactly have you seen in his management that makes you think he is a good manager?

I admit that I have concerns, but I remember his Oldham team - good football on a shoestring, and saw the squad that he partly assembled at Barnsley. He saved us last season and started well this season.  I was concerned that he bought so many young players and assumed that this was due to "the plan" - and this was confirmed when they tried to sign experience in the window.  The miscalculations are there for all to see, but the games have mostly been close, so he cannot be far away.  Next season, if we stay up, it could be so much better.  He handles the press well and may well be struggling with keeping such a big squad in order.  Plenty to be optimistic about though.

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The answer seemed so ludicrous when first mentioned by SL that the fans could be the cause of all of the clubs problems.....Well, he was right and below is the reasoning:-

It's NOT SL's fault as he employed MA to oversee footballing matters from a business perspective.

It's NOT MA's fault because the job was given to LJ as part of a thorough process where they all drew up lists and LJ was near the top of all of them.

It's NOT LJ's fault because he is only the manager and he doesn't actually play so therefore has no influence over how the team performs.

It's NOT the players fault as they are still giving their all for the manager and they can only perform as well as the manager sets them up.

It's NOT JP's fault as LJ didn't want to work with him NEXT season.

Therefore by powers of deduction it is the fans fault because they continue to turn up and happy clap their way through the games with their blind faith. Behaving themselves impeccably and cheering with gusto is having zero affect on results and thus they give the impression that everything is rosy and everyone is happy and if we go down well so be it, CTID and all that! If everyone continues to turn up then LJ's tenure can carry on regardless into next season. 

So it was the fans fault after all. Hope this has cleared everything up?

You Know It!   :)

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The answer seemed so ludicrous when first mentioned by SL that the fans could be the cause of all of the clubs problems.....Well, he was right and below is the reasoning:-

It's NOT SL's fault as he employed MA to oversee footballing matters from a business perspective.

It's NOT MA's fault because the job was given to LJ as part of a thorough process where they all drew up lists and LJ was near the top of all of them.

It's NOT LJ's fault because he is only the manager and he doesn't actually play so therefore has no influence over how the team performs.

It's NOT the players fault as they are still giving their all for the manager and they can only perform as well as the manager sets them up.

It's NOT JP's fault as LJ didn't want to work with him NEXT season.

Therefore by powers of deduction it is the fans fault because they continue to turn up and happy clap their way through the games with their blind faith. Behaving themselves impeccably and cheering with gusto is having zero affect on results and thus they give the impression that everything is rosy and everyone is happy and if we go down well so be it, CTID and all that! If everyone continues to turn up then LJ's tenure can carry on regardless into next season. 

So it was the fans fault after all. Hope this has cleared everything up?

Fully Agree.

next season to help the team lets all keep our money in our pockets and not spend money on tickets.

with zero attendance other than away fans, it's obvious we'd walk then Championship next season.

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I admit that I have concerns, but I remember his Oldham team - good football on a shoestring, and saw the squad that he partly assembled at Barnsley. He saved us last season and started well this season.  I was concerned that he bought so many young players and assumed that this was due to "the plan" - and this was confirmed when they tried to sign experience in the window.  The miscalculations are there for all to see, but the games have mostly been close, so he cannot be far away.  Next season, if we stay up, it could be so much better.  He handles the press well and may well be struggling with keeping such a big squad in order.  Plenty to be optimistic about though.

I truly admire your optimism and hope you turn out to be right. However getting Oldham to mid-table in L1 is not much to hang your hopes on.

My concern is that we can all see better ways of using the big squad of players he has available. His team selection is baffling and I struggle to see how having some of the younger players improve next season will help him. He already has no idea who to pick from week to week and having more players who are competing for the first team could just make it worse. 

21 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I truly admire your optimism and hope you turn out to be right. However getting Oldham to mid-table in L1 is not much to hang your hopes on.

My concern is that we can all see better ways of using the big squad of players he has available. His team selection is baffling and I struggle to see how having some of the younger players improve next season will help him. He already has no idea who to pick from week to week and having more players who are competing for the first team could just make it worse. 

Stating that Lee has no idea doesn't make that true - it is your opinion.  You could well be right, but my view is slightly different....and even I might be right.  This thing will have to play out as SL wishes because he holds the purse strings.  I hope he is correct in his support of Lee, but if he changes his mind, I will support whoever is head coach/manager, because I am a City fan.  I cannot control who is manager or what team is picked - or even who us on the board.  All I can do is give the most positive and vocal support possible, in the hope that it will encourage the team to do better than if we boo them. It's pretty simple really!

6 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

There may be something in this!

Any player looking through the threads on this forum will be totally demoralised and may even feel uncomfortable playing at Ashton Gate, which should be a fortress.  When some of the fans seem more consumed with disliking SL, LJ and MA than by their passion for the team - what can possibly go wrong.  I would respectfully suggest that the team in charge are trying to achieve the results that we all want, and that we could all play our part by simply supporting them.

well said

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Stating that Lee has no idea doesn't make that true - it is your opinion.  You could well be right, but my view is slightly different....and even I might be right.  This thing will have to play out as SL wishes because he holds the purse strings.  I hope he is correct in his support of Lee, but if he changes his mind, I will support whoever is head coach/manager, because I am a City fan.  I cannot control who is manager or what team is picked - or even who us on the board.  All I can do is give the most positive and vocal support possible, in the hope that it will encourage the team to do better than if we boo them. It's pretty simple really!

Do you think that Norwich would have changed their manager today if all of their fans had kept quiet? Possibly not.

Fans don't directly make the decision but to suggest we have no influence at all and we should just suck it up because it's ultimately the owners or boards decision is simplistic and defeatist. If you saw one of your best friends (I am making an assumption) being taken for a ride by someone who basically says what they want to hear but doesn't follow through, would you leave them to get cheated? I think most of us might let it go for a while, but ultimately there comes a point where for everyone's sake you have to stand up and say something. That's the point most of us have reached. But if you are happy to accept seeing the club and fans taken for a ride, back to League 1, without a murmur, then that's your choice. But you won't find many on here who will be quite so supine!

3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

No offence but the word deluded was written with you in mind. 

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Fair enough. That is a totally reasonable approach. However it is a bit passive. I think some of us would like Mr Lansdown to be aware that we don't see any evidence to justify his faith in Lee. I do accept that we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes though. I have a ST and have 'boycotted' two games but now feel that is pointless. SL isn't listening. I may as well go and cheer them on for the last few games we are likely to see in this league for a few years.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Do you think that Norwich would have changed their manager today if all of their fans had kept quiet? Possibly not.

Fans don't directly make the decision but to suggest we have no influence at all and we should just suck it up because it's ultimately the owners or boards decision is simplistic and defeatist. If you saw one of your best friends (I am making an assumption) being taken for a ride by someone who basically says what they want to hear but doesn't follow through, would you leave them to get cheated? I think most of us might let it go for a while, but ultimately there comes a point where for everyone's sake you have to stand up and say something. That's the point most of us have reached. But if you are happy to accept seeing the club and fans taken for a ride, back to League 1, without a murmur, then that's your choice. But you won't find many on here who will be quite so supine!

Again, I don't quite see it like that.  I have faith that SL, the board and MA see the situation from the inside and know more than a vociferous minority of the fans.  We have routinely changed manager every year or so.  The cost must have been huge and each new manager then wants to chop and change the squad - more expense and upset - results hard to sustain and unhappy fans calling for the next head to roll. Maybe sticking with Lee has some downside, but maybe SL is right, and this is the best way forward.  Either way, I will support whatever manifestation of City that is on the pitch, and I hope that we will find the right formula.  FWIW I favoured sticking with SC and felt the board should have supported him - but it sounds as if he could not deliver the plan that the board had specified.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No offence but the word deluded was written with you in mind. 

Rude and intemperate may have been words to describe the vociferous rabble - but I recognise, and to a degree share their concerns.  I just feel that when the team are young, lacking experience, form and confidence - that attacking the club is a dumb response.  Supporting the team and club would achieve much more in the short term - and we only have short term left until the end of the season.  We are surely allowed to have differing opinions - even in your monochrome world!

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Any player looking through the threads on this forum will be totally demoralised and may even feel uncomfortable playing at Ashton Gate, which should be a fortress.  When some of the fans seem more consumed with disliking SL, LJ and MA than by their passion for the team - what can possibly go wrong.  I would respectfully suggest that the team in charge are trying to achieve the results that we all want, and that we could all play our part by simply supporting them.

Yes, let's just sleep walk into oblivion 

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Rude and intemperate may have been words to describe the vociferous rabble - but I recognise, and to a degree share their concerns.  I just feel that when the team are young, lacking experience, form and confidence - that attacking the club is a dumb response.  Supporting the team and club would achieve much more in the short term - and we only have short term left until the end of the season.  We are surely allowed to have differing opinions - even in your monochrome world!

The world would be boring if we were all the same! Personally, I don't think that the players have enough mentally to get themselves out of this situation. I think we all agree on one thing though, pro or anti LJ / regime......We would take finishing one place above the relegation zone! If LJ can come back from this it will be the greatest comeback since Barcelona v PSG, Liverpool v AC Milan, Ali v Foreman all rolled into one!

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Of course , that's what a forum is for . Yes time is running out and to some extent I get your point and for 90 minutes I also get behind the players. I personally have a serious problem with just sitting on my hands and and putting up with the amateurish way our club is being run and cannot idly sit by and let the club I love slide towards relegation without saying my piece. Now if you want to shout support of the players that's all we'll and good , but are you seriously telling me that you can see one ounce of potential in Johnson because if you do then I wonder for your footballing sanity Mr Fastard 

9 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The world would be boring if we were all the same! Personally, I don't think that the players have enough mentally to get themselves out of this situation. I think we all agree on one thing though, pro or anti LJ / regime......We would take finishing one place above the relegation zone! If LJ can come back from this it will be the greatest comeback since Barcelona v PSG, Liverpool v AC Milan, Ali v Foreman all rolled into one!

The difference is all of those you mentioned at the end believed, even against the odds, but at least had a good reason to believe in themselves, because they had demonstrated their class on previous occasions. Does that apply to a City team selected by LJ? Unfortunately not on the evidence of results.

Tomorrow is truly a "must win". Lose tomorrow & we are going down, unless we produce a Leicester-like resurrection, winning 7 out of the last 9 matches. They still sacked Pearson in the close season, and then the real miracle happened the following season. I would love to believe that could happen for us (including replacing the manager) but I know the odds are lengthening with every match.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Give the bloke a chance 

Even Sir Alex Ferguson went on a bad run at Man Utd before things got better

:city:

A bad run that ended up with THE FA Cup in the cabinet. This is not just a bad run its well south of bad.

"Give the bloke a chance" is funny though.

17 hours ago, 1953 said:

For me you should always start with your best side. Substitutes are to tweak things if it isn't working, but starting with 1 up front at home is never going to work and just makes the selection look laughable from the off.  We all just wait to see if the cavalry are sent on at half time or the usual 60 minutes.

But that is the problem, the coach doesn't know what that is 

18 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

The players won't be looking through here

18 hours ago, REDOXO said:

We 'the supporters' have given the team the manager et al more backing than they would get anywhere else in the country. In fact I can't think of a single club where the fans would get behind the team home and away and be so passive about showing decent against the team, manager and board, SL included under such ludicrous circumstances. 

Not sure how many are going tomorrow but they will be singing for the team. It's up to the manager, staff and team to deliver. Yes there will be a huge amount of optimism tomorrow at 2:55 lets see where it goes. 

The optimism usually nosedives after the team is announced. Followed by loads of  "WTFs?"

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Do you really know that for a fact?

I can give you a players perspective yes.

i wouldn't go near my teams forum, because a vast majority of fans have never played the game and quite frankly a lot don't know what they are talking about - more so on what goes on behind the scenes and off the pitch rather than on it. Some are very naive and you can tell that from the responses on the thread presumably from wes' dad.

Archived