IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, Lita For Congo said:

No, not at all. The dream of Bristolian football clubs being  on equal footings is a very one sided dream. 

Quite frankly, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we never played you in a league game ever again. 

10 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

100% no. I want City to be completely dominant for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, it looks like my wish will be coming true.

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

No, No, I would rather we were in the Premiership and you were in League Two, like Stoke and Port Vale.

Three similar comments all saying they are not interested in Rovers but you've all taken the time to read this thread today then post on it! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gashead2017 said:

Three similar comments all saying they are not interested in Rovers but you've all taken the time to read this thread today then post on it! 

Not a single one of the comments you quoted said we're not interested in the 15ers. We simply said we have absolutely no desire for you to be anywhere near us in the league. Which you're not - so all is good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gashead2017 said:

You still don't get it do you. It's like driving past a car crash, you know you shouldn't look but you just can't help yourself. In case of doubt, your club and the blind followers are the car crash in this scenario. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Rich said:

Very nice of you to come on here and bring your "news". You are welcome to come on here, unlike other sites, unfortunately, if you do bring "news" onto this site to so say correct somebody, please make it accurate. You can get away with misrepresentations on the other site but, not here.

Below is the obituary of Arthur Holmes, written on your clubs website in honour of him, by Mr Dunford in 2015. In it, he goes to great lengths to try and justify the deal, which seems rather strange, rather than celebrate the mans life. One wonders why. Please read and digest.

By Geoff Dunford

Arthur Holmes who passed peacefully away on January 4th aged 90 should be remembered by both Bristol Rugby club and Bristol Rovers with gratitude.

Arthur had to deal with rugby turning professional when it was not universally accepted. He carried this financial burden almost on his own. He was also the man who recognised sporting clubs could work closer together for mutual benefit

With the advent of professional rugby in the 1990's the top rugby clubs in the country had to make important decisions on their future.  Should they turn professional or retain their traditional amateur/semi professional roots?

Bristol Rugby Club decided to follow the professional route along with most of the top clubs in England, however, it did not go down well with some of the Bristol purists who either withdrew their financial support or did not contribute to the coffers of Bristol Rugby. This resulted in a lifeline for Bristol Rovers who were still playing in Bath and I was charged with negotiating a lease with Bristol Rugby to return Bristol Rovers to Bristol which was successful.

When I first met Arthur Holmes he was struggling to maintain Bristol on a sound financial footing and it seems he was fighting a lone battle. He needed financial support from other Bristol businessmen who were rugby fans, but the professional era was not popular. A deal was on the table to sell The Memorial Ground to a pension company and for the rugby club to rent it back. This was discussed at a Rovers board meeting and it was decided to offer the rugby club the same deal as the pension company but with the added benefit of starting a new company to acquire the stadium (The Memorial Stadium Company) with each club buying 50% of the shareholding for £10,000, and the rugby club would also receive £2.3m to solve their cash flow problems.

This option was far better than the pension company offer as it would result in the same amount of cash to the rugby club plus 50% ownership of the ground.

I found Arthur Holmes to be a gentleman in his business dealings and as a person. Indeed, he funded personally an amount of £250k to complete the sale to The Memorial Stadium Company as we were still short of funds at the deadline, to ensure Bristol Rugby could retain 50% ownership. (Arthur was made a Vice President of Bristol Rovers in light of this kind gesture.)

As we are only too aware in Football, professional sport is a difficult business to balance the books, and without further financial assistance from others who could have made a difference, Arthur, found the finances of professional rugby unsustainable without other benefactors.  Indeed, the only time offers of financial help came, it was too late as the club had already entered administration.

If either club entered administration, the other had the right to purchase the shares in the stadium company for the initial price of £10k to maintain their trading position, and this is what occurred.

Bristol Rugby survived turning professional and like most sports clubs needed very rich benefactors to help them maintain their progress.

Arthur Holmes loved rugby, and loved Bristol Rugby Club. If it wasn't for his support the rugby club would have disappeared into the amateur game and Bristol Rovers would still be playing elsewhere. Sometimes history gets twisted into rumour and sub plots, but rest assured, both Bristol Rugby and Bristol Rovers have reasons to thank Arthur Holmes for being in existence today.

Arthur, rest in peace, you were a true gentleman, something very rare in sporting circles today. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Julie and family.

The deal you refer to with Amtrak, was I believe, to purchase the ground for £1m, then rent it back to the rugby club with a distribution center on the car park area. Suddenly there appeared a much better deal for £2m which Arthur negotiated and was better all round because the rugby club still got to own 50% of their own ground, except the rugby club got so little, as £2m was paid back to AH. There was only one club going to go bust and that was Bristol rugby, as they were haemorrhaging money, as on national journalist put it. At the time of the deal I remember a quote from Mr Dunford stating that, this was a great deal for BRFC, as we now have a 50% share in £6m worth of real estate for £2m.

So you agree with the basics that Bristol RFC got a better deal from Rovers than they could elsewhere plus they were no real fears the owners would eventually evict them should they ever want to develop the ground.  

5 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Not a single one of the comments you quoted said we're not interested in the 15ers. We simply said we have absolutely no desire for you to be anywhere near us in the league. Which you're not - so all is good.

Not interested but your posting within a minute of my post! Although being near you is somewhat different than being miles away which could well now happen, in my view Bristol would be an even more boring CIty without the football rivalry.   

10 minutes ago, Gashead2017 said:

Not interested but your posting within a minute of my post! Although being near you is somewhat different than being miles away which could well now happen, in my view Bristol would be an even more boring CIty without the football rivalry.   

Are you being thick on purpose? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gashead2017 said:

If you don't like it you can always **** off, at least you do get a chance to air your opinions unlike on Asschat.

15 minutes ago, Gashead2017 said:

After what your directors and fans have done over the years i'd be more than happy to never play you again, to see you go bust would be more enjoyable, the only downside being is it would cost an arm and a leg throwing the party.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am only posting this on here because I know some gas read it but I feel like going on gaschat and telling them to get a grip.I can't believe the suggestions there coming up with for the New mem.The guy has not spent a penny of his own money and there on about having underground parking and a 3tiered grandstand.If what I have heard (living north side of the river )is correct the UWE is going to be the least of there problems.(I've promised not to mention names but I would be very worried if I were a gas fan.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gashead2017 said:

Moron FC are like a festering boil on the prostitute Irene's bottom.  When you play away games, Bristol has a collective sigh of relief,  its got rid of the 30,000 village idiots for the day.

You are the most irrelevant team in world football.  You dont have to like it, but there it is.

You have not earned to right to play us.  During this time however, you have mercilessly provided us with a consistently high level of ammunition to throw back in your faces.

It wouldn't be right as opposed fan base not to laugh at the following:

Pipe Dream Arena

Relegation out of the football league

Getting beaten by Cheese and Ham FC

Getting beaten by a team that might take you over Bath FC... twice

Stadium upgrades: Curtains/paint/carpets (Not sure they are new carpets...but old ones cleaned)

Buy your 10m rated player for 300K

Your hopeless estimation of fans attending games

Equine boxing

Boob Cricket

New Sprinklers

A fence around your new training facilty

Santas Grotto

Hence the length of the thread.  You are truly the gift that keeps on giving.  On the rare occasion I have a bad day, I thank the lord I am not a g**Nobhead.  That always always cheers me.

Thanks and of course keep them coming.

Stevo

Edited by WayOutWest
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I am only posting this on here because I know some gas read it but I feel like going on gaschat and telling them to get a grip.I can't believe the suggestions there coming up with for the New mem.The guy has not spent a penny of his own money and there on about having underground parking and a 3tiered grandstand.If what I have heard (living north side of the river )is correct the UWE is going to be the least of there problems.(I've promised not to mention names but I would be very worried if I were a gas fan.

You don't have to mention any names; you can still say what you have 'heard'.

32 minutes ago, Gashead2017 said:

Oh I'm interested. I haven't said I'm not. I'm interested in your club and this thread as you and your support are undoubtedly hilarious. 

Your delusions of grandeur and the constant want of trying to get one over us yet massively failing is truly brilliant. 

The anology I'll use about our two clubs is an old road runner cartoon. You constantly think you've gotten one up on us and sing from the rooftops, almost like the poor Kyote, only to be outdone with almost ease, like the road runner.

Please continue to help this thread grow with your constant failings over the past 18 years to try and be on an equal footing to us. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

:clapping:

The owners know.

An 18,500 stadium with other facilities will fit on the site.
An 18,500 stadium with other facilities was given planning consent.

They have most likely asked their stadium advisors/designers some basic
outlines of what can realistically be achieved on the site. Would these
outlines require any other considerations that were not taken for the original
plans.
Wael commented that the Mem site is exactly the same as that for Evertons 40,157 Goodison park.
which has a record attendance of over 78,000 !....imagine that on Filton avenue .
Goodison has housing right around the ground.

That's got to be your longest post ever !! 

1 hour ago, Gashead2017 said:

So you agree with the basics that Bristol RFC got a better deal from Rovers than they could elsewhere plus they were no real fears the owners would eventually evict them should they ever want to develop the ground.  

Are you mad ? The reason Bristol got relegated one season and never recovered to this day is because Rovers wanted them out so the ground could be redeveloped. A commitment was made to Newport to play at Rodney Parade and of course the 15ers backed out of doing anything, leaving Bristol who had budgeted a large chunk of budget for renting elsewhere rather than on quality players up shit creek.

• Admin
Just now, cynic said:

Correct.

Waiting for the brown stuff to hit the fan...

You bloody teasers......  what, I have been waiting since 1982 to see them fold and disappear, do I have to wait much longer?  Imagine them gone and how in a few years that would benefit City, no way would I expect any diehards to come over, but as time passes, if there was genuinely one team in Bristol......... oh stop, I can't think about it anymore :) 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Moron FC are like a festering boil on the prostitute Irene's bottom.  When you play away games, Bristol has a collective sigh of relief,  its got rid of the 83 village idiots who infest other grounds in your colours for the day.

You are the most irrelevant team in world football.  You dont have to like it, but there it is.

You have not earned to right to play us.  During this time however, you have mercilessly provided us with a consistently high level of ammunition to throw back in your faces.

Pipe Dream Arena

Stadium upgrades: Curtains/paint/carpets (Not sure they are new carpets...but old ones cleaned)

Equine boxing

Boob Cricket

New Sprinklers

Santas Grotto

Hence the length of the thread.  You are truly the gift that keeps on giving.  On the rare occasion I have a bad day, I thank the lord I am not a g**Nobhead.  That always always cheers me.

Stevo

Sorry, you made a typo, but I am sure the village idiots will use it as 'evidence' of taking 30,000 to every away game.

• Haha 1

I'd be happy if they just went back to non league and stayed there. They could be the Barcelona of non league football then, playing fun derbies against Bath and reminiscing of the Francis Golden Age when her punched Paul Nixon's face, and a Tuesday night jolly outing to Cossham Street to play Mangadoo, whilst we concentrated on giving Bristol a team to be proud of. Sounds like heaven.

18 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Sorry, you made a typo, but I am sure the village idiots will use it as 'evidence' of taking 30,000 to every away game.

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

Moron FC are like a festering boil on the prostitute Irene's bottom.  When you play away games, Bristol has a collective sigh of relief,  its got rid of the 30,000 village idiots for the day.

Pipe Dream Arena

Equine boxing

Boob Cricket

New Sprinklers

Santas Grotto

Stevo

You forgot their 'stand' at UWE freshers week. 

That forking colouring board!!!!

Some Slag seriously thought 'that looks good, worthy of being centrepiece of our display'. Snort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

You don't have to mention any names; you can still say what you have 'heard'.

It came from a very good friend who told me about the end of the UWE project about a week before it became public  but all I would say was admin was mentioned .This time he could be wide of the mark but it sounded very plausible to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

You forgot their 'stand' at UWE freshers week. 

That forking colouring board!!!!

Some Slag seriously thought 'that looks good, worthy of being centrepiece of our display'. Snort.

Yes. Its this constant need to do everything in a shit and frankly amateurish way.  Then wear is like a badge of honour. It some how defines them.  Shitness, followed by more much shitness its the r****s way.  Hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

In the long gift list, don't forget that they were the only club in the league, probably in Europe, which made a hilarious press release on the Brexit outcome. 

The only league club to fail to qualify for the league cup

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. He's probably now crying tears of despair, while we cry tears of laughter

The mad thing is he's probably not, probably still thinks wally the trillionair is buying up expensive real estate as we speak to build a park and ride to bus in the hoards for the new Olympic stadium in horfield 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

No I don't.

All we have here is the description of events from one of the two parties that were the instigators of the deal.

We don't actually know if there was an offer from an insurance company, or that there was an offer from Amtrak. There is only hearsay of so called offers/interest from other parties, and firm evidence that a deal was struck between two people with vested interests for the deal to proceed. Obviously the deal arranged between Dunford and Holmes, appeared better for the rugby club, because they would keep a 50% share of their ground but, it included this buy out clause which instantly disposed of either parties assets for £10k, which were substantial and, to the detriment of either companies creditors. You have to remember that Holmes initiated their debt in the first place, by sanctioning the building of the centenary stand. Something that the rugby club had previously decided was unaffordable.

As explained, there was only one club that would really benefit from this deal, BRFC, and, only one club at the time, that was losing enough money on a weekly basis to put it at risk. Simple arithmetic and past knowledge of the rugby clubs financial commitments would have been enough to know this clause was detrimental and that the outcome was unavoidable. The person at the top and in charge of that business must have known it's precarious financial position, yet still signed up to this agreement. As a result of it's financial status, he filed for bankruptcy within five months of signing that contract.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

Christ, it's like talking to a brick wall. I have never said I wasn't interested. Maybe try reading posts before responding eh?