IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I would love them to go bust. I don't know a single Sag who doesn't mind City. They would have seen us go bust would have gladly stolen our ground remember? 

Would I miss the rivalry? Not at all. The sheer hatred I have seen in Rovers supporters eyes over the years convinced me that they are just a horrible club with a childish, thuggish and jealous fan base.

I believe their existence has hindered our progress. Without Bristol Rovers I really do believe that Bristol City would have had a nice 40k stadium somewhere on the outskirts of the City instead of having to settle for improving  Ashton Gate.

They are a parasitic drain on the life of our club. I wait patiently for administration and subsequent folding.

Only then can Bristol football move forward.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

If they did go bust, which would be greeted with much merriment (in my household at least), then a phoenix club would no doubt be formed and start playing in the Western Counties league or somesuch.

What I would then be struggling with is how to feel about that phoenix club. Would I wish them success as fans trying to do the right thing? Or would I still see them as bristol rovers and wish nothing but misery on the side, hoping they got stuffed by Almondsbury U16's or the like every week?

I just can't decide for certain, but at the moment am coming down on the side of wishing them misery still....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I would love them to go bust. I don't know a single Sag who doesn't mind City. They would have seen us go bust would have gladly stolen our ground remember? 

Would I miss the rivalry? Not at all. The sheer hatred I have seen in Rovers supporters eyes over the years convinced me that they are just a horrible club with a childish, thuggish and jealous fan base.

I believe their existence has hindered our progress. Without Bristol Rovers I really do believe that Bristol City would have had a nice 40k stadium somewhere on the outskirts of the City instead of having to settle for improving  Ashton Gate.

They are a parasitic drain on the life of our club. I wait patiently for administration and subsequent folding.

Couldn't agree more !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

If they did go bust, which would be greeted with much merriment (in my household at least), then a phoenix club would no doubt be formed and start playing in the Western Counties league or somesuch.

What I would then be struggling with is how to feel about that phoenix club. Would I wish them success as fans trying to do the right thing? Or would I still see them as bristol rovers and wish nothing but misery on the side, hoping they got stuffed by Almondsbury U16's or the like every week?

I just can't decide for certain, but at the moment am coming down on the side of wishing them misery still....

Let's hope they go bust . And then take it from there. It will take a couple of years to stop laughing. Or longer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How many years since the weather caused a postponement at AG? I can't remember Bristol Rugby having problems with drainage before the gas moved in.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/10662/keep-eyes-on-weather

With heavy rain due in Bristol today and tomorrow, there may be a doubt if the match will go ahead. Heavy rain accompanied by thunder storms is forecast for the rest of Friday and in to the early evening. With more rain expected from Saturday lunchtime until Saturday evening. This will be the first major test of the new drainage system that was installed during the summer. I am guessing that the sprinklers will not be needed.

Are pitch has been fine since the rugby went and we have improved the drainage that was broken.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

We truly are kindred spirits....  maybe some of those who have no wish to see them crumble to dust and blow away, weren't around in 82, when we thought we were losing our club, when there were collections on paydays ( Thursdays, as we were all mostly weekly paid back then) in pubs to raise funds, when people bought shares and rallied round.  

Whilst the vitriolic glee that those bastards showed, they circled like vultures, just waiting to feast on the carcass, they can **** off and die and the sooner the better.  Detest isn't a strong enough word to help express my contempt for them.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Interested to hear what City fans really think about Rover and their fans.

Only because I spoke to someone yesterday who absolutely hates them to a passion. He wants them to be relegated every season and even better go out of business. He also hates their fans to a level that he has previously laid into them and would do so again. Admittedly, he was a bit of a bruiser and not very bright but I can't help finding his views a bit OTT.

From discussions about a Rovers in this forum, there seems to be a wide ranging choice of opinions on them, some quite vitriolic and some a bit more reserved. 

As far as I am concerned, I just see them as rivals who I like to see lose and get relegated but I wouldn't really want them to go bust. I have a few Gas mates who are really top blokes so my attitude toward their fans is that they are annoying but in the main just like us lot really with lots of decent fans including families with young kids.

I do appreciate that like us, they also have a small number of total d*ckheads but they don't make me hate all their supporters.

Also, we are all Bristolians! 

I know two Rovers fans. Both tossers!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, 22A said:

How many years since the weather caused a postponement at AG? I can't remember Bristol Rugby having problems with drainage before the gas moved in.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/10662/keep-eyes-on-weather

With heavy rain due in Bristol today and tomorrow, there may be a doubt if the match will go ahead. Heavy rain accompanied by thunder storms is forecast for the rest of Friday and in to the early evening. With more rain expected from Saturday lunchtime until Saturday evening. This will be the first major test of the new drainage system that was installed during the summer. I am guessing that the sprinklers will not be needed.

Are pitch has been fine since the rugby went and we have improved the drainage that was broken.

We had that game with Watford at home that was called off minutes before it was due to start.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

We truly are kindred spirits....  maybe some of those who have no wish to see them crumble to dust and blow away, weren't around in 82, when we thought we were losing our club, when there were collections on paydays ( Thursdays, as we were all mostly weekly paid back then) in pubs to raise funds, when people bought shares and rallied round.  

Whilst the vitriolic glee that those bastards showed, they circled like vultures, just waiting to feast on the carcass, they can **** off and die and the sooner the better.  Detest isn't a strong enough word to help express my contempt for them.

Brilliantly put. I wasnt old enough to have been about in those days, but that was very eloquent. I just find, excuse the cliche, that they are an extremely bitter and twisted set of supporters for the most part.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

As a Bristolian I don't want them, or any other club to die. As a City fan however, I'll be happy seeing Rovers achieving mid table obscurity in the Western League.

PERMANENTLY!!!!!

I don't know, I think what I'd love is if some unknown quantity from the middle east took over, promised them the promised land, then bottled it because he had no money, before asset stripping to make a return on his investment. That would make me happy.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I don't know, I think what I'd love is if some unknown quantity from the middle east took over, promised them the promised land, then bottled it because he had no money, before asset stripping to make a return on his investment. That would make me happy.

You're dreaming!

Nothing that good would ever happen......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Spot on. They had been so envious of our stint in the top flight that our plummet towards being extinguished was met with absolute glee by the other club in the City. To say they were "over the moon" was an understatement and they so desperately wanted Ashton Gate. They never once stepped in to help us out, so **** the lot of them. They haven't changed either, they still can't handle the very mention of our name without going into total meltdown. The sooner they are gone for good the better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Exactly, the letters in the Evening Post bemoaning the the fact that BCC were comtemplating loaning BCFC £50k in order to save the club from winding up, then BRFC stating that if BCFC were to get money then so should they,  Martin Flook and The Boycee lookalike circling and praying for BCFCs' final breath, so they could get their hands on a real stadium.

All they have ever been is a club who wants everything everyone else has, but wants everyone else to pay for it.

**** em.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember a few years back a game being cancelled last minute due to freezing rain.  I slithered and slid all the way to the ground and was walking from the car to find everyone walking the other way.  So had to slither and slide home again.  Very dangerous, that was.

Ironically.............a sag game !

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Spot on. They had been so envious of our stint in the top flight that our plummet towards being extinguished was met with absolute glee by the other club in the City. To say they were "over the moon" was an understatement and they so desperately wanted Ashton Gate. They never once stepped in to help us out, so **** the lot of them. They haven't changed either, they still can't handle the very mention of our name without going into total meltdown. The sooner they are gone for good the better. 

Just be grateful the internet hadn't been invented in the run up to '82. The size of this thread would pale into insignificance...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember a few years back a game being cancelled last minute due to freezing rain.  I slithered and slid all the way to the ground and was walking from the car to find everyone walking the other way.  So had to slither and slide home again.  Very dangerous, that was.

I remember that, was it not Boxing Day ? 

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Whenever you feel you may be in danger of expressing any degree of sympathy with whatever the latest disaster that they`ve walked blindly into just sit in a darkened room and repeat the following mantra;

`Never forgive. Never forget`

• Like 3

I've always harboured mixed feelings on the Rovers. Either go bust and get out of the way to allow one successful Bristol City team to shine. Or perhaps we're missing out on a couple of great games each season as true local rivals- Manchester, Liverpool and London derbies are great occasions. It would be great competition to look at them as true rivals - as long as we won twice a season and finished above them!

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Hah , that would be funny. And what if he admitted supporting another team, oh, and then tried to buy a third team before buying them at a fire sale.  So they end up being owned by an asset stripper who company owned them from off shore and then charged them loads of money against their only asset to cover his initial stake so he wouldn't lose money. 
Nah, too far fetched. Not even they would carry him on their shoulders down Glos road would they, would they??

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Interested to hear what City fans really think about Rover and their fans.

Only because I spoke to someone yesterday who absolutely hates them to a passion. He wants them to be relegated every season and even better go out of business. He also hates their fans to a level that he has previously laid into them and would do so again. Admittedly, he was a bit of a bruiser and not very bright but I can't help finding his views a bit OTT.

From discussions about a Rovers in this forum, there seems to be a wide ranging choice of opinions on them, some quite vitriolic and some a bit more reserved. 

As far as I am concerned, I just see them as rivals who I like to see lose and get relegated but I wouldn't really want them to go bust. I have a few Gas mates who are really top blokes so my attitude toward their fans is that they are annoying but in the main just like us lot really with lots of decent fans including families with young kids.

I do appreciate that like us, they also have a small number of total d*ckheads but they don't make me hate all their supporters.

Also, we are all Bristolians! 

IMG_0540.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Reading that. They really are ******* stupid . He put FTG . He's a really nice bloke. What are they 7 . 

Maybe they are, Wael of fortune has written a piece that sounds like the "what I did in my school holidays" essays we used to write on our first day back in Juniors. :)

• Haha 2