IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It may be unfashionable to say it but, with one or two exceptions, I thought the reactions on Gaschat were pretty respectful.  The discussion on how our success impacts on them is interesting, and perhaps i’m in a tiny minority but I respect any football fans who support their local club.  I’ve always enjoyed the rivalry with the Gas, it’s part and parcel of being a football fan.

You say rivalry, but even they dont see themselves as rivals any more.  The gap has grown too big for that. There may only be a league between us (more likely 3 leagues next season), but they realise that resistance is now futile as we head for the promised land and they head for 4th division obscurity.

Do Tranmere see Liverpool as rivals? I dont think so. Unless they can find a working Tardis, we are light years ahead of them now.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It may be unfashionable to say it but, with one or two exceptions, I thought the reactions on Gaschat were pretty respectful.  The discussion on how our success impacts on them is interesting, and perhaps i’m in a tiny minority but I respect any football fans who support their local club.  I’ve always enjoyed the rivalry with the Gas, it’s part and parcel of being a football fan.

In a genuine sense, I have a lot of respect for those that stick by that lot through thick and thin, as I do with anybody who supports their local side. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oh, the irony. De facto all Bristolians grow up or reside in 'Redland'. There is, after all, Only One Team In Bristol....

This deserves more than just one 'like'.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Certainly on that thread there were some very respectful comments at the beginning. Obviously a few dicks came along with their uneducated and bitter views later on as the situation got too much for them to take. The usual suspect were guilty, one 'Pompey' fan in particular. 

Thing is, they were coming out with the same stuff when we were approaching the Championship Play Off Final in 2008. Obviously the mask dropped as soon as the final whistle blew that day. 

One of the best things about last night was that it occurred to me as I walked out that all of my Gas inlaws and colleagues had sat in front of a telly for 93 minutes waiting to see City get heavily beaten and instead had to put up with the agony of a last minute City winner, brilliantly set up by Taylor of all players....and they all watched it. Happy Christmas.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Just tried to see gaschat to read through their tears and got a bunch of virus messages on my phone.

Yep that site is horrific, particularly on mobile.

Keeps taking me to the Android app store for gambling apps or popping up "your phone has a virus" crap. 

Even if you need advertising because the blue few are tight and Wally can't afford to help with such running costs, you'd think they could at least use a reputable ad provider...

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This deserves more than just one 'like'.

Certainly on that thread there were some very respectful comments at the beginning. Obviously a few dicks came along with their uneducated and bitter views later on as the situation got too much for them to take. The usual suspect were guilty, one 'Pompey' fan in particular. 

Thing is, they were coming out with the same stuff when we were approaching the Championship Play Off Final in 2008. Obviously the mask dropped as soon as the final whistle blew that day. 

One of the best things about last night was that it occurred to me as I walked out that all of my Gas inlaws and colleagues had sat in front of a telly for 93 minutes waiting to see City get heavily beaten and instead had to put up with the agony of a last minute City winner, brilliantly set up by Taylor of all players....and they all watched it. Happy Christmas.

And even better hopefully the kids will likely think "you mean there's a club like that here in Bristol?! With seats and indoor toilets?!" and maybe instead of becoming Gas and a Prem plastic decide instead to support a big but local team...

57 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You say rivalry, but even they dont see themselves as rivals any more.  The gap has grown too big for that. There may only be a league between us (more likely 3 leagues next season), but they realise that resistance is now futile as we head for the promised land and they head for 4th division obscurity.

Do Tranmere see Liverpool as rivals? I dont think so. Unless they can find a working Tardis, we are light years ahead of them now.

god I wish I had your confidence.

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Because already averaging more than double what they do away from home just isn't enough, obviously! 

Gashead who rang into Talksport’s Hawksbee and Jacobs show today was very gracious and respectful of our epic victory last night, but then ruined it by peddling the usual tripe that they take more fans to away games than we do so they’ve got that on us.....where do they dream up this rubbish?!

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Gashead who rang into Talksport’s Hawksbee and Jacobs show today was very gracious and respectful of our epic victory last night, but then ruined it by peddling the usual tripe that they take more fans to away games than we do so they’ve got that on us.....where do they dream up this rubbish?!

As Joseph Goebbels said: if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually believe it to be true. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Anyone counting the number of fans at Gillingham knows their attendances are way below what they'll have you believe. 

And its their home attendances they need to concentrate on if they actually want to help the club. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I respect those that follow their local club, no issues there at all. It's the delusion and utter lies I find irritating, like the utter fool on Talksport this morning. Then again, they don't even irritate me any more as we know what we are and don't have to lie about it.

Most gasheads I know are sound, in the virtual world though, there are some serious spanners although their respect for our performance / result was a surprise.

Edited by Ska Junkie

36 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

As Joseph Goebbels said: if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually believe it to be true. 

It's a little known fact that Goebbels spent his formative years on the Blackthorn end with Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb and Karl Donitz.

Edited by ZiderEyed

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You don't think that Santa's Grotto could be ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malago said:

I've told you all before Hitler slept in blue and white quarter pyjamas and called his favourite Labrador Rover.

To quote Mr Hitler..., One People, One State, One Leader/guide (translated from..."Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer)

This can be further interpreted in the Rovers Context as:

League One People, League One state (although Camp Site is more Tool Station Premier), League one Leader/guide

He also went on to construct his Lebensraum expression whilst in a meths induced stupor in the corner of the Tote End. He proposed that there was not enough space for the 1,000,000's of gas heads in Eastville and that Stapleton and St Werburghs should be earmarked for invasion to provide space for the hoards. The expression was taken up by the 32 fans present on the Tote that day. Indeed his premonition was not far of the mark as a mere 41 years after the end of WW2 Rovers fan base became too big for Bristol so they relocated to the city of Bath. This exile, interestingly, caused a further, unprecedented growth in Gasheads, who then populated the vast plains between Bath and Bristol in their hundreds of thousands. Due too traffic congestion it was though better to move away from the narrow Georgian streets of Bath to the Wide boulevards of Bristol. The board led the tribe back into Bristol and found a green space in Horfield, there they pitched their tents and there they remain.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, heard that too,but what he also said was even more fantasy land than that,he said that their fan base was bigger than ours and that was the one thing they had over us,utterly deluded.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Yep, heard that too,but what he also said was even more fantasy land than that,he said that their fan base was bigger than ours and that was the one thing they had over us,utterly deluded.

Perhaps their fan base is bigger?  After all they had years of having the best pies, all that fat going into their bellies must have added up over the years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

Perhaps their fan base is bigger?  After all they had years of having the best pies, all that fat going into their bellies must have added up over the years.

Well I’m actually in the office today and the rather portly chap sat at his desk tapping away at his computer is indeed a SAG.

18 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Well I’m actually in the office today and the rather portly chap sat at his desk tapping away at his computer is indeed a SAG.

Well there you go then.  They are indeed MASSIVE compared to us.

In fact that might explain their mythical away attendances as well, if you add up the weight of all the enormous 15ers, then maybe that's why they think they take more away than us. 

Here's a quiz from their forum:-

1. Who scored Rovers first ever goal in the Conference and who were the opponents ?
2. Who did Rovers play in their only ever FA Trophy match and what was the final score ?
3. Name all the five substitutes for Rovers Conference final and name those subs who actually played ?
4. Who did Rovers play in their final Conference match and what was the score ?
5. Who scored the only goal in Rovers first league match after returning to League Two ?
6. In that final dramatic match of the 2016 season against Dagenham and Redbridge which saw Rovers promoted who’s shot hit the inside of the post before Lee Brown’s celebrated last gasp winner ?
7. What was the reason for Rovers match at Cambridge in October 2015 to be brought forward 24 hours ?
8. Who were Rovers young player and player of the Year in 2016 ?
9. Name the Rovers player who scored his country’s winning goal against Jordan to send him and his country to the 2010 World Cup finals ?
10. Which League club brought just 48 away fans to the Mem during 2015/16 season ?

Probably the most depressing quiz I've ever come across. I delighted to say I would have scored nought out if ten, as I lost the will to live after question one.

They guy who compiled it seems to have such fond memories of their time in the basement league -  he's either itching to get back there or resigned to the fact that it's their ultimate destination.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

3 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

They absolutely HATE it when we get all the attention and great publicity in the media. Whether it's radio talk shows, Facebook, Twitter or various other platforms at least one always has to pipe up and talk an absolute load of bollocks that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

I can understand it in a way because spouting shit is probably the only thing that helps them sleep at night. The only thing that annoys me is that outsiders rarely challenge their lies despite the fact that they are so obviously lying.

IF they have a bigger fan base than us then how come they have only bettered our home average once in over half a century?

IF they take more away fans to games than us then why do the actual statistics show they average less than us on the road every single season and rarely sell out their allocations?

Maybe their fan base is bigger than ours but ours is just more loyal and maybe it's just that we can actually be bothered to show up and support our team on a Saturday? They can't have it both ways.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Here's a quiz from their forum:-

1. Who scored Rovers first ever goal in the Conference and who were the opponents ? Hilda Ogden. Newtown blind FC.
2. Who did Rovers play in their only ever FA Trophy match and what was the final score ? The smurfs, 3-1 to the Smurfs.
3. Name all the five substitutes for Rovers Conference final and name those subs who actually played ? Tinky winky, Lala, Dipsy, Po and the vacuum.
4. Who did Rovers play in their final Conference match and what was the score ? Bendix U11's 3rd team. 4-0 to Bendix.
5. Who scored the only goal in Rovers first league match after returning to League Two ? Kermit the frog
6. In that final dramatic match of the 2016 season against Dagenham and Redbridge which saw Rovers promoted who’s shot hit the inside of the post before Lee Brown’s celebrated last gasp winner ? A Tinpotter
7. What was the reason for Rovers match at Cambridge in October 2015 to be brought forward 24 hours ? WAQ received his pocket money and would have spent it on a Chelsea ticket?
8. Who were Rovers young player and player of the Year in 2016 ? The flowerpot men
9. Name the Rovers player who scored his country’s winning goal against Jordan to send him and his country to the 2010 World Cup finals ? Mehatma Coat
10. Which League club brought just 48 away fans to the Mem during 2015/16 season ? Must have been a bike race on.

What do I win?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

From their site earlier.

Talking to a taff yesterday and he said swans been in talks with lickle lee and meeting up with him today,I said don’t bother he’s on a lucky streak and will soon fade

I mean, why do they bother?

I guess it's just the hope that we will trip up? Bear in mind, if enough saggies say something often enough (like their away support is better than ours), it becomes 'gas fact'. In other words, utter bullsh1t!

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I guess it's just the hope that we will trip up? Bear in mind, if enough saggies say something often enough (like their away support is better than ours), it becomes 'gas fact'. In other words, utter bullsh1t!

But, seriously.

LJ, manager/head coach of a team on the up; support from his board and, latterly, the fans, third in the Championship, with an outside chance of promotion and a realistic chance of a play-off position, not to mention the fact they are in the League Cup semi finals, thinking of throwing it all in to manage a team with whom he has no history, Tammy notwithstanding (for the last few months of his loan), looking doomed to relegation.

Who truly believes he is in talks with Swansea?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

From their site earlier.

Talking to a taff yesterday and he said swans been in talks with lickle lee and meeting up with him today,I said don’t bother he’s on a lucky streak and will soon fade

I mean, why do they bother?

I would have thought that Dopey was a better bet for Swansea, go to a club with a nice ground but no transfer budget, it's sort of a step up.

+ I nearly forgot shedloads of sheepdogs for him to bother.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung