IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

13 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Totally agree. Bath Rugby have a huge uphill task with their plans. To add a "Football team "would raise opposition still further. I honestly believe that Bath Rugby are in a "no win" situation and  their Chew born and raised owner will have to bite the bullet and pull the club toward an out of town venue that almost certainly wont be toward Bristol. With land prices at a prohibitive price in Bath, my belief is that they'll move to Wiltshire (where much core support lies). The Gas havent got any cash to put into the venture....and that leaves 'em in a very poor situation. 

The unfortunate losers in all this are Bath City FC...whose tentative enquiry about selling Twerton Park and playing at The Rec was swiftly rejected

I think a tie up with the University at Claverton might be possible ? They won't want the gas either mind.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Was working with a couple of reasonable sags today who are well capable of a decent and balanced discussion about the Bristol clubs...they don’t know each other but both had heard separate rumours about the gas possibly sharing a new stadium with Bath RFC near Saltford...don’t really care but thought I’d mention it as it fits in with part of your thinking...

Predominantly greenbelt, and astronomical prices for development land around Saltford. Perhaps they mean somewhere around Hicks Gate. The obvious question being, what the **** does Bath RFC get out of such an arrangement apart from weekly rent which must be based upon a proportion of match day receipts and the squatters getting nothing by way of non match day revenue. Their owner doesn't need their leveraged contribution towards the build either.

Bath also needs to consider a resurgent Bristol RFC and whether they might be better off consolidating in a 100% Bath area further east because I daresay a move from the city centre would lose them plenty of fans and if they expect to pick up the same or better numbers from Brislington Stockwood etc they should think again.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, weepywall said:

Not a chance of the Gas sharing with Bath Rugby if they redevelope the Rec, the only slight chance they may have of a ground share is if Bath Rugby were to move out of Bath and head Bristol way but that is exactly what Bath Rugby and all the pubs, restaurants etc of Bath city centre don't want to happen hence the ongoing battle to upgrade the Rec. They are more likely to end up back with Bath City at Twerton Park.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to dream about bettering themselves. 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

If the old Fry's site in Keynsham was still going begging, I'd have thought that it would have been just the site

If they did end up at Fry's at least they'd be right to claim that for most of the football season they'd something we could only aspire to - a water polo team ?

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

27/08/2018    New Board Member Mr M.J. Starnes appointed

Anyone know who that is? 

Google is telling me he is a chartered accountant who is also CEO of Plymouth Argyle Heritage Archive?

Clearly in need of a better bean counter as whoever has been doing it has royally fudged up

14 hours ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

They do indeed, Woodmarsh is the name of the (field) they play at..... it is quite literally a field with a portacabin for changing rooms. Actually maybe that would be a step up for Rovers!!

TTFC started up again at a much lower level than when they were at Frome Road. But to be honest I couldn't tell you what league they play in now. Seems a long time ago since the days of the Beazer Homes League Southern Division!!

Thanks for that - I'm still relatively new to Trowbridge, and didn't realise that the football club had reformed.  I remember watching Rovers play a friendly against the original club, years ago at the Frome Road ground.

18 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Thanks for that - I'm still relatively new to Trowbridge, and didn't realise that the football club had reformed.  I remember watching Rovers play a friendly against the original club, years ago at the Frome Road ground.

I don't think many of the locals would of realised the football club had reformed to be honest given the low league status and lack of a football ground.....big shame for the county town of Wiltshire 

1 hour ago, B block said:

More pearls of wisdom from henbury gas

He will find out how good they are in finance very shortly ...,,,,

That's they way Bristol sh**ty work, keep going to the Money Tree and never paying back

Fortunately we have owners who know what they are doing when it comes to finance

I think that our self made billionaire owner may know what he's doing when it comes to finance.

Shake the Lansdown Money Tree or Sheikh the Money Tree. Only one bears fruit.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

They do indeed, Woodmarsh is the name of the (field) they play at..... it is quite literally a field with a portacabin for changing rooms.....

That’s a shame if true....they had high hopes for their ground a year ago... even talking about hospitality etc... did it ever come off for them? And you said the local council is ‘anti sports’ above - but this story suggests otherwise? http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15082262.Future_looks_bright_for_Trowbridge_Town_FC_as_ground_is_secured/

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s a shame if true....they had high hopes for their ground a year ago... even talking about hospitality etc... did it ever come off for them? And you said the local council is ‘anti sports’ above - but this story suggests otherwise? http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15082262.Future_looks_bright_for_Trowbridge_Town_FC_as_ground_is_secured/

Yea there have been a few stories over the years of possible developments.... I shouldn't of been so biased in my negativity towards the local council as over time new councillors come in and have different views and opinions and things change. The council of Old seemed less interested.

As you say this story was over a year ago and all I get when talking to other locals is that things seem to be at a stand still again. These locals may not necessarily be in the know as such so I will just remain hopeful for the sake of the Town and Supporters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My word Yeovil, Swindon, Plymouth.........now the sags, football luminaries all !

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't all those clubs had financial issues in recent years? Was there then, or was he the guiding light that brought them back from the brink? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't all those clubs had financial issues in recent years? Was there then, or was he the guiding light that brought them back from the brink? 

Hard to tell at Plymouth; they have got onto a firm financial footing and actually made a profit last year but the driving force behind that has been the Chairman James Brent, soon to be stepping down if he hasn't already, who ran it in a Dunford type way of watching the pennies and turned it around from its administration.  His was a fairly reluctant takeover and he said he would sort them out financially and then step down to concentrate upon his own business and he did sort them out and has now stepped down.   Staynes would have been supporting this and working with him so would get some of the credit. 

• Thanks 1