IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

53 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I just give up with the level of vitriol

Corinthian Spirit truly dead in Bristol then, save for some of us oldies who still remain true to the standards of the 40s and 50s.  Atyeo and Bradford must be spinning in their graves at the views expressed here, if you can call them that.

Makes me feel ashamed to be a City supporter in this age of hate.

at age 56. I dont hate The Gas. They are quite simply an irrelevance these days. I miss the days of close rivalry, and they arent likely to reappear any time soon. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wood_red said:

Unsure what has been mentioned on their place, but I have been told they have been bought out and announcement will be in a few weeks (assuming some more "feasibility studies" are ok). Not disclosing too much on here, but part of the new lot will be a surprise to say the least - that is if it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere already, and a current shareholder may still be on board as wael.

After going for a run around the so said stadium site last evening I cannot believe nothing is built there yet.theres no way the gas could afford it so Iam guessing there getting in bed with the uwe on the uwe terms

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

at age 56. I dont hate The Gas. They are quite simply an irrelevance these days. I miss the days of close rivalry, and they arent likely to reappear any time soon. 

Living in north bristol I have a few gas friends ,but when you hear some of the comments in pubs etc  you remember why you hate them so much

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Call me sad over and over again.....see if I care

I am not calling you sad, I am calling the views sad, and the general unpleasantness exhibited as sad.

It has nothing to do with football and supporting City.  

It is just childish, thuggish, and decidedly unpleasant and uncalled for.

No more on this from me, because sadly some won't, or even can't, understand why others of us find such views repugnant

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Corinthian Spirit truly dead in Bristol then, save for some of us oldies who still remain true to the standards of the 40s and 50s.  Atyeo and Bradford must be spinning in their graves at the views expressed here, if you can call them that.

Really? An old boy I know, he’s 90 next month utterly despises them. My late father, he’d of been 82 now, also abhorred them.

Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Ivorguy, whilst I completely understand your point of view, it is one that fell out of fashion a very long time ago.

Yes, in a perfect world all football fans could sit side by side with no animosity. Unfortunately, your era was a very long time ago and there has been a lot of change since then, hence the majority of City fans will have been brought up to dislike the fewest and vice-versa.

Make no mistake, our backwards friends from Horfield hate us more than we hate them for the simple fact they know we have surpassed them in every way as club. Besides, the vast majority of us remember the 80's when they tried to steal our ground, as well as having the upper hand in the regular games between us (I will never forget them pipping us to the Div 3 title in 89/90).

Their time was then (and didn't they let us know it at any opportunity), ours is now and any City fan that doesn't enjoy it either hasn't ever had to experience those years, can remember when fans used to follow both clubs, or are indifferent to them because for whole generation they haven't been a threat.

Personally, I wouldn't wish them to go bust as I have a lot of good mates who are staunch R*vers but if they did go bust I would laugh my head off the same as I did when they were relegated to the Conference.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The majority that I know have their heads firmly in the sand.

One win and its play offs or the gas are marching into the Championship or we're coming for you blah blah.

They have little respect for teams in their own league and its laughable how they try to Lord it over clubs who are frankly far better than them on and off the pitch but "they should be beating teams like Accrington and Shrewsbury" 

Unbelievable.

Is it any wonder no one likes them.

The sooner they f..k off and die the better.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Me..a young 71 and lived in N Bristol for over 30 years,my whole family and relatives have always been city and Bristol rugby supporters,needless to say if there was a plunger to push to send that vile club into oblivion i would gladly pay for the privilege, that's my take and i don't give a flying what anyone else thinks.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Swede said:

The majority that I know have their heads firmly in the sand.

One win and its play offs or the gas are marching into the Championship or we're coming for you blah blah.

They have little respect for teams in their own league and its laughable how they try to Lord it over clubs who are frankly far better than them on and off the pitch but "they should be beating teams like Accrington and Shrewsbury" 

Unbelievable.

Is it any wonder no one likes them.

The sooner they f..k off and die the better.

Strangely, the few (no pun intended) that I know either don't want to talk about it, or admit they are an embarrassment and can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Also strangely, they were happy to spout nonsense about them being super-rich, were coming for us etc, when Wally took over. I tried to explain that Wally and family aren't as wealthy as they think and was met by the response "Yeah he is, you've just read a load of bullshit on OTIB". 

Congratulations OTIB, not only is there OTIB, there is also OFIB (One Forum In Bristol)....

Well, I did make the effort about 40 years ago to go and watch them a few times at Eastville but I'm afraid that the team was rubbish, the atmosphere Abysmal, the ground a shitehole and their supporters thick as I don't know what.

So I made the effort, I doubt that most did and I came to the same conclusion that those that didn't did.  They are a complete bunch of no hopers, playing at a dung pit and their fans are complete and utter dross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What success did having local derbies help bring either club in the 80’s or 90’s..?

I think December 10th 1983 helped Bristol City immensely....we’d gone through the hell of 1982 - we had a mix and match side which included a Bristol University student....it was a very uncertain time....then the FA Cup second round draw gave us an away tie at Eastville against a Rovers team that was lording it above us in the divisions....and we beat them 1-2 that day ....with the student mis-hitting the winner to send us into absolute delirium on the away terrace...Terry Cooper was at the helm and he even came on and played that day...but that day was a serious springboard, we believed totally in our club again, we’d just gubbed the gas in their own backyard and we loved it! We were on the way back after the 1982 stuff...so I think that derby in the 1980s really helped us, because we got promoted at the end of that season....and we haven’t looked back since...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Luton’s average home attendance last season was 8.6k (1.7k below capacity) so why do you think a new stadium with 17.5k capacity is too small for them?

Have ever seen what happens when a club on the up or a club in a good catchment area, with a decent size fan base has a new stadium? The crowds see a huge increase and if they were to get into the premiership it would be too small.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think December 10th 1983 helped Bristol City immensely....we’d gone through the hell of 1982 - we had a mix and match side which included a Bristol University student....it was a very uncertain time....then the FA Cup second round draw gave us an away tie at Eastville against a Rovers team that was lording it above us in the divisions....and we beat them 1-2 that day ....with the student mis-hitting the winner to send us into absolute delirium on the away terrace...Terry Cooper was at the helm and he even came on and played that day...but that day was a serious springboard, we believed totally in our club again, we’d just gubbed the gas in their own backyard and we loved it! We were on the way back after the 1982 stuff...so I think that derby in the 1980s really helped us, because we got promoted at the end of that season....and we haven’t looked back since...

The only time I've cried at a football match...… tears of joy!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Something that could happen this season though, as far as a cup tie goes. 

Ivor wants them to catch up with us in league standing, not enjoy beating them in the cup every now and then. 

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

And you call yourself a Bristolian and a football supporter, and yet you want one of the city's clubs to go out of business.

How very very sad

I call myself a Bristol City supporter, first and foremost. 

They are an embarrassment to my fair city. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

Imo it’s more of a laugh than a hatred for them. 

They went down, the away end at Crawley was pissing themselves. NLBR. All their fans getting excited because Wael has money, then they realise we were right and he doesn’t have money, that was funny. That came with their fans (not just the one in the car) stating they were coming for us and they are the bigger club in Bristol, that was bleeding hilarious. So @Ivorguy if they did go into administration then I would have a jolly good chuckle, first 15ers then who knows... we could be calling them the 18ers. 

Its all for chuckle at our annoying little brother, actually it’s not right saying we’re related. Annoying neighbor who moans at everything we do. 

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I'm not of Atyeo / Bradford vintage but both Rovers and City do have lots of fans who really dislike the other club and if encountering those people is your personal experience of Rovers (even recent stories say about them giving grief to somebody's wife and somebody else's seven year old for wearing City shirts) then I can understand the vitriol.

My personal experience of them is decent football fans who just happen to have grown up blue so I agree with you other than in condemning fans whose personal experience is very different to both mine and yours.

• Admin
32 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

How utterly embarrassing is that? Jeez.

Oh come on, if you supported such a small team wouldn't you want a memento of the day your side actually managed to get promoted to the Football League? I'm prepared to allow them some artistic license on the "invasion" part. Bless them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Oh come on, if you supported such a small team wouldn't you want a memento of the day your side actually managed to get promoted to the Football League? I'm prepared to allow them some artistic license on the "invasion" part. Bless them.

It's more of a shame that they can't 'invade' the Mem every other weekend...

They know what they are, inferior in every single way, longing for us to fail rather than being the best they can or even, heaven forbid, reaching the same level, if not higher. The nonsense of coming for us, that's more in their deluded minds for us to slide backwards rather than aspiring to actually come for us.

The only artistic licence i'm willing to cut them is how long they'll be out of business for.

• Like 1