IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

On 16/09/2018 at 00:57, Ska Junkie said:

I've just had a quick read of their forum and the tide against Clarke is growing.

To our visitors from the dark side I will say this, Clarke is the only thing with any semblance of respect in your club and you are hounding out the only thing holding your club together. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys so the issue is the budget he is given and NOT the Manager.

Sack him / hound him out and you're properly screwed so, as a red, knock yourselves out!! :)

We can see it, you, with your self important, deluded specs on, can't. If he leaves, you are definitely going down, bloody good! 

OTIB

Sounds similar to when they hounded Paul Trollope out. He did a decent job of keeping them in mid table but that wasn't good enough for them so they got him out and then tumbled all the way down to non league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Sounds similar to when they hounded Paul Trollope out. He did a decent job of keeping them in mid table but that wasn't good enough for them so they got him out and then tumbled all the way down to non league.

Stopped them from finishing mid table though didn't it. Gas logic means that was a successful result.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Pretty sure their (utterly hilarious) descent began or at least coincided with them giving Lennie Lawrence the old heave ho.

Pretty sure I wore a City shirt to work on the Monday after they slipped out the League- for the benefit of their fans who I worked with!

If they sack DC they can 'go again', repeat the slump/journey and give us much mirth once more!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That’s the “memorial gates” they can’t take them down or change them. 

They remain as a lasting reminder of who they stole the ground from. 

Worked out alright for the Rugby club in the end though..!

Oh wow, I must've been half asleep earlier. I thought 'Bristol Rugby' was on a sign behind the gates, not actually on them! :facepalm:

Don't laugh too loud;

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/12947/clubs-mess-top

The biggest asset of Bristol Rovers FC is it's supporters.

The biggest asset of Bristol Rovers 1883 Ltd is the land on which the Memorial Stadium is built.

Financing Bristol Rovers FC by borrowing money secured against the value of the parent company's land was a recipe for disaster.

In future Bristol Rovers FC will have to be financed with a mixture of equity capital provided by it's owners and profits generated through the success it manages to achieve on and off the field.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/12852/who-ya-gonna-blame-next

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think we were actually in the bottom 4 when Trollope went (Could be wrong though). We got done 6-2 at Sheffield Wednesday and I remember driving back thinking that he would be gone soon, Personally I think he was a good coach and we should have stuck with him , and I would say the same for Clarke. I just do not agree with continual hiring and firing. You have to accept that every season some teams will be relegated and I don't think that should necessarily cost the manager his job.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think we were actually in the bottom 4 when Trollope went (Could be wrong though). We got done 6-2 at Sheffield Wednesday and I remember driving back thinking that he would be gone soon, Personally I think he was a good coach and we should have stuck with him , and I would say the same for Clarke. I just do not agree with continual hiring and firing. You have to accept that every season some teams will be relegated and I don't think that should necessarily cost the manager his job.

That's great.......... would you have a word with one or two of our fans as well?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

If you sell your better players constantly and give the manager lierally nothing to spend at all what do you expect as fans? It will (probably) only work for so long, and if Clarke does walk or get sacked you may see a quick uplift for a month or so like a lot of managerial changes and then it will be back or even worse soon after without any decent recruitment - like Swansea last season (initial run of good form and then nightmare).

Every league is getting tougher by the season with players dropping down each league due to the Prem getting stronger, and the domino effect carries on to the Championship etc etc. 

Most Gasheads I know and speak to are saying he has become stubborn with his team selections - and it seems to me he is going the same way as Cotterill did here. If he does go, who in all honesty will want to go there? 

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Did Clark say he will walk if the fans and players wanted him to 

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Quite a reasonable post from a sag I have to admit. 

I think the problem you have is that you have been so far behind us for so many years, I don't want to sound big headed but your fans look across the river to us and are desperate to be up here with us and I think that's what makes them impatient. They fail to accept that with the current infrastructure etc that you have mid table in league one is realistically the best you can achieve.

Trollope and Clarke both did well to maintain the level that your currently at, they both know your club inside out and I don't think there is a manager that could push you onto the next level without a clear plan and some serious investment from your owners. 

Sometimes your fans have to accept that managers like Clarke and Trollope are doing the best with what they have got. If you dispose of Clarke I'd be inclined to say your football league status may be at risk again.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wood_red said:

If you sell your better players constantly and give the manager lierally nothing to spend at all what do you expect as fans? It will (probably) only work for so long, and if Clarke does walk or get sacked you may see a quick uplift for a month or so like a lot of managerial changes and then it will be back or even worse soon after without any decent recruitment - like Swansea last season (initial run of good form and then nightmare).

Every league is getting tougher by the season with players dropping down each league due to the Prem getting stronger, and the domino effect carries on to the Championship etc etc. 

Most Gasheads I know and speak to are saying he has become stubborn with his team selections - and it seems to me he is going the same way as Cotterill did here. If he does go, who in all honesty will want to go there? 

Probably Cotteril!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

But this has always been their problem - they sit there and take all the shit dealt to them and never complain - while on other hand take the piss out of us teds when we do actually make ourselves known to the powers that be at AG ! 

Not being funny but we have higher standards and expectations than those lot. When i hear them call us fickle it makes me laugh because I tune into Twentyman talks back and listen to them calling for dopeys head after all he is done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Quite a reasonable post from a sag I have to admit. 

I think the problem you have is that you have been so far behind us for so many years, I don't want to sound big headed but your fans look across the river to us and are desperate to be up here with us and I think that's what makes them impatient. They fail to accept that with the current infrastructure etc that you have mid table in league one is realistically the best you can achieve.

Trollope and Clarke both did well to maintain the level that your currently at, they both know your club inside out and I don't think there is a manager that could push you onto the next level without a clear plan and some serious investment from your owners. 

Sometimes your fans have to accept that managers like Clarke and Trollope are doing the best with what they have got. If you dispose of Clarke I'd be inclined to say your football league status may be at risk again.

I agree with all of that. We also have to forget about City to a degree. I mean, I will always want you to lose every week, and will take the minor pleasures that come along when you do, but the fact is you have an incredibly wealthy owner who is prepared to invest, and when he dies you still have his son, we ain't gonna be catching you any time soon! I would go as far to say that at my age (54 this year) if you offered me just one more win over City in a cup competition in my lifetime, I'd probably take it and enjoy it for what it was. 

Having said all that things can always change in what is a crazy old world at the moment and you never know, but I won't be lumping any money on us catching up with you. Clarke got us playing some attacking, entertaining football at times , certainly far better to watch than Ward's stuff. It is pretty grim watching them this season, but I would rather watch them under a coach who I know, is capable of producing a bit of enjoyable football.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

But this has always been their problem - they sit there and take all the shit dealt to them and never complain - while on other hand take the piss out of us teds when we do actually make ourselves known to the powers that be at AG ! 

This has cropped up before on here and my opinion of that is the same. If you honestly think that your complaining is what makes City succeed then you are kidding yourself. You have an incredibly wealthy backer and that is what makes the difference, 

16 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Clarke got us playing some attacking, entertaining football at times , certainly far better to watch than Ward's stuff. It is pretty grim watching them this season, but I would rather watch them under a coach who I know, is capable of producing a bit of enjoyable football.

Might be a bit low, but still better than a tent, I suppose.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Oh you are probably right but this isn’t just about this era - I remember the troubles when Pulis was in charge, when the reform group delivered nothing.. and so forth.  It sometimes feel like you just accept the cards dealt to you when perhaps you need to say no, this isn’t good enough. 

It goes back further than that . Terry coopers sacking amongst other times we had massed ranks outside the old grandstand venting our anger. The gas have always been more apathetic . They call us fickle for being like it when the reality is we wanted better for our club and we’re prepared to do something about it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

This has cropped up before on here and my opinion of that is the same. If you honestly think that your complaining is what makes City succeed then you are kidding yourself. You have an incredibly wealthy backer and that is what makes the difference, 

So what made the difference pre-Lansdown? Need I remind you of our superior record and history to yours before Steve or Jon had been to AG??

25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We’ve protested plenty down the years and  SL  hasn’t been exempt from critism either. 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It goes back further than that . Terry coopers sacking amongst other times we had massed ranks outside the old grandstand venting our anger. The gas have always been more apathetic . They call us fickle for being like it when the reality is we wanted better for our club and we’re prepared to do something about it. 

There was a protest and boycott outside Eastville when we sacked Cooper!

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’ve protested plenty down the years and  SL  hasn’t been exempt from critism either. 

I know, and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference!

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is exactly the case, their fans think we should be as placid as they are, I think there would of been a week of riots if we ever got relegated to the conference !!!!

• Like 2

When I read on here that there were fans who still peddled and believed that wally and family were uber rich I didn't actually believe it. However in the pub for darts I've just been told that they are probably the richest club in the country SOUTH of MANCHESTER. The family own the national bank of Jordan and are worth over £9 Billion but they just won't spend any. He genuinely believes this. 

I'm so gobsmacked that I haven't been able to speak to him since. I have to admit I couldn't stop the stupid grin and giggle as he said it and now I can't look at him without wondering how they believe this shit but I suppose it's because they fall for this nonsense that they're in this position in the first place. To be fair my gas supporting team mates don't believe that. 

16 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

There was a protest and boycott outside Eastville when we sacked Cooper!

I know, and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference!

My point being we don’t roll over and have our bellies tickled and you’re wrong we have made changes by protesting . Only this summer the club had to backtrack regarding certain season card prices by the uproar caused. Fans do have a voice. 

• Like 2