IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

A large bottle of Glenmorangie, a crate of Guinness, £500 in used notes and a personal written apology form Chris Garland for that header may loosen my lips.

Planning permission refused for three dwellings on colony farm, applicant Dwayne Developments?

15 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Hay Miah, any truth in the takeover rumours, or is it just wishful thinking? 

Think he said he’d heard a rumour very recently but unwilling to share with us on here due to the forthcoming piss taking, my guess.... is that Mr Higgs is coming to their rescue ?

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

They managed three seasons of second tier football in the 90s, finishing higher than us in one of them. Around Easter '93 we beat them at AG and this helped relegate them shortly after.

They have not been back to the second tier since. Rovers have only had three spells in the second tier (90/91 to 92/93; 74/5 to 80/81; 53/54 to 61/62) spending fewer seasons at this level each time.

If/when they next reach this level, they'll do damn well to last more than one season in the Championship.

So in summary, they’ve had, as you say, three shots at tier two, in the fifties, seventies and nineties, staying for nine, seven and three years, respectively, and haven’t been higher than tier three for a quarter of a century (but have paid visits to tiers four and five in that time. Blimey, that’s even worse than I’d thought.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

So in summary, they’ve had, as you say, three shots at tier two, in the fifties, seventies and nineties, staying for nine, seven and three years, respectively, and haven’t been higher than tier three for a quarter of a century (but have paid visits to tiers four and five in that time. Blimey, that’s even worse than I’d thought.

Tiers for Souvenirs are all their left with,

But Tiers can't mend a broken club they must confess... 

Oh fyck where's The Diddy Men when ya need 'em..  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chucky said:

This comment on the posts site cracked me up. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-attractive-bristol-rovers-2094981#comments-section

"Fanatical

What a pity OldFrank does not think before he writes.

BRFC has minimum debt and the fact that there is borrowing against the Stadium has no relevance whatsoever to a potential takeover. 

The Club has an underlying value in its latent support which has been waiting to be realized for years and is only held back by its lack of facilities. 

An investment of £20 million at the Mem or £40 million at a new stadium would bring the sort of returns being witnessed at Ashton and at places like Brighton.

That is what investment is all about  "to invest is to distribute money in the expectation of some benefit in the future" Wikipedia."

They think that £20million is all that needs spending on the Mem, when we spend best part of £50million on Ashton Gate..?!

And they think you can build a new (suitable) brand new stadium for £40million nowadays..?

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

They think that £20million is all that needs spending on the Mem, when we spend best part of £50million on Ashton Gate..?!

And they think you can build a new (suitable) brand new stadium for £40million nowadays..?

I'm rather more amused by his claiming that "BRFC has minimum debt"; £10m - £12m is the current estimate.  Asset value against which this is charged: £10m.

This is on a par with Henbury Idiot claiming that the way the Al Qadis are running the club is "sustainable". Losing £2m a year is "sustainable".

Either these people are incredibly stupid or they are incredibly wealthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malago said:

“The Club has an underlying value in its latent support which has been waiting to be realized for years and is only held back by its lack of facilities. “

Any advance on a penny for that “underlying value of latent support” who’ll bid tuppence?

What is this “latent support” to which they refer..?!

The same support that is so latent that it’s not bothered attending games regularly since the 1950’s...?! 

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What is this “latent support” to which they refer..?!

The same support that is so latent that it’s not bothered attending games regularly since the 1950’s...?! 

But it's "loyal and true". Loyal and true to their armchairs and radio Bristol commentaries it seems. The more worrying thing for them, which has been mentioned before, is the lack of a next generation especially amongst incomers.

If parents who move into the area want to encourage their kids away from tv sports and to live events, there is going to be only one choice of venue no matter which sport it is. Unless they start a breeding programme their support is going dwindle away.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But it's "loyal and true". Loyal and true to their armchairs and radio Bristol commentaries it seems. The more worrying thing for them, which has been mentioned before, is the lack of a next generation especially amongst incomers.

If parents who move into the area want to encourage their kids away from tv sports and to live events, there is going to be only one choice of venue no matter which sport it is. Unless they start a breeding programme their support is going dwindle away.

They've started an inbreeding programme. Does that count?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Latent

Isn't it a contradiction in terms, though? Either they are loyal and true and will turn out unconditionally, or there is a latent group of supporters that will come trickling back, if the ground, team and Management structure is right?  Evidence suggests that both they and us have a combination of both throughout the Bristol and the surrounds, but we have started to tap into the latter group. My point is that both their loyal and true and latent groups are getting smaller all the time, we have tapped into ours just in time. 
I also think there is another group, the "floating voters", the ones I referred to in my post, not quite the "I support Man Utd really" type, but those who would be more likely to come to see us if the opposition was Premiership quality. Whether we like it or not, these are the people who swell the gate when we play Villa and the other ex-prem sides and who we all had to fight off to keep our tickets during the cup run. The Rovers are a long way off their radar right now.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Isn't it a contradiction in terms, though? Either they are loyal and true and will turn out unconditionally, or there is a latent group of supporters that will come trickling back, if the ground, team and Management structure is right?  Evidence suggests that both they and us have a combination of both throughout the Bristol and the surrounds, but we have started to tap into the latter group. My point is that both their loyal and true and latent groups are getting smaller all the time, we have tapped into ours just in time. 
I also think there is another group, the "floating voters", the ones I referred to in my post, not quite the "I support Man Utd really" type, but those who would be more likely to come to see us if the opposition was Premiership quality. Whether we like it or not, these are the people who swell the gate when we play Villa and the other ex-prem sides and who we all had to fight off to keep our tickets during the cup run. The Rovers are a long way off their radar right now.

Exactly, either you go or you don't, you're hardly "loyal" if you're waiting for perfect watching conditions before you attend games

• Like 3