IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I always remember how excited he was scoring in a pre-season friendly at the Gate. Wasn't it he who was supposed to have branded GJ a "Conference Manager" in a dressing room row, which was then infamously repeated on here? Might explain where it went wrong.....?

and now he's working for a real live conference manager!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I always remember how excited he was scoring in a pre-season friendly at the Gate. Wasn't it he who was supposed to have branded GJ a "Conference Manager" in a dressing room row, which was then infamously repeated on here? Might explain where it went wrong.....?

@Port Said Red

"When striker Marcus Stewart engaged his manager in a blazing dressing-room row and taunted him with: "What do you know? You're just a Conference manager" Johnson sent him out on loan"

• Like 1

• Admin
Just now, RedLionLad said:

Remember the buzz when both of them came to Ashton Gate?

We were going to rule the world.

I can remember taking time off of work to the announcement that Stewart had signed for us, there were loads in the Dolman Exhibition Hall that afternoon

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are several problems with the rumour that someone from Jersey is going to buy Rovers and do a land swap with UWE to build a new stadium at Frenchay. First, the UWE land was given to the university by Hewlet Packard, with the proviso that it could not subsequently sold. A land swap could be construed as selling the UWE land for the same price as it pays for the Filton site. Any lawyers out there who can clarify the legal situation. 

The second problem, is how much would the buyer have to pay, and what would he / she get for the money? Assuming Wael and family what to recover their costs, it’s an initial payment of £10m - £12m. For that, it’s just a piece of land at Frenchay and the players (combined worth £100k?)

Next comes the build cost of the new stadium. Rotherham’s 12k capacity ground, opened in 2012,  cost £20m. Allow a bit for inflation and it would be £25m+ for a basic stadium, ok for league 1, but unsuitable for the Championship. Ashton Gate cost approx £50m to develop, so a completely new build Championship standard  ground would be well in excess of that. 

So, it’s spend close £100m to buy the club and  get the infrastructure right, before there’s any expenditure on players, and virtually no guarantee that there will be any profit. There are much cheaper ways of getting into football. There are better bargains available and you could buy a National League team for peanuts, and spend the money on players for promotion to league 2. The article below, from 2016, gives a good guide to club values:

“An Average Team in league 1 or League 2

Unlike the championship, BPL money doesn’t flow down as much and these clubs have only seen a moderate rise in valuation. Again, if a club is based in a major city, owns it’s stadium or has a large fan base then prices can increase significantly. That being said, most League 1 teams can be acquired for £20m or less and League 2 teams can be taken over for £10m or less. In each scenario you would be taking on around 20–50% of the amount paid for the club in debt. Some League 2 clubs are under £1m e.g. Newport County.”

Not that I want a football club but if I did then I would want something with, as you say, decent crowd, own ground and little debt.  As when Vince bought FGR.

Aldershot is averaging just under 2k crowds in the National League, own their own ground, have a decent amount of league history and as they've been in admin won't have much debt.

If you have £20m burning a hole in your pocket buy them and take them back into the league with the £12m you save not refunding the Al Qadis debt in order to get the stadium back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldershot_Town_F.C.

Where clubs are as debt ridden as Rovers then the usual approach by a potential purchaser is to drag out the negotiations until the club finally tips into administration and then can be bought cheaply as Mike Ashley did with House of Fraser.

I can believe that there are interested parties at the right price but I would be very surprised if they wanted to buy them as is.

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I can remember taking time off of work to the announcement that Stewart had signed for us, there were loads in the Dolman Exhibition Hall that afternoon

I can still remember the queue of fans in the club shop wanting Stewart's name put on a shirt.

I was quite confident we would do great things with those two in the team. 

One thing that doesn't add up with talk of a land swap deal...

Well, two now I think of it.

Building student accommodation for UWE students would surely be better for both the students and UWE if it were based AT UWE.

Why would UWE want to take on the cost of demolishing a stadium as part of any development they might be involved with?

Oh, suppose this does raise the question as well, with most student accommodation being built by private companies rather than traditional halls of residence, what is in this for UWE

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Not that I want a football club but if I did then I would want something with, as you say, decent crowd, own ground and little debt.  As when Vince bought FGR.

Aldershot is averaging just under 2k crowds in the National League, own their own ground, have a decent amount of league history and as they've been in admin won't have much debt.

If you have £20m burning a hole in your pocket buy them and take them back into the league with the £12m you save not refunding the Al Qadis debt in order to get the stadium back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldershot_Town_F.C.

Where clubs are as debt ridden as Rovers then the usual approach by a potential purchaser is to drag out the negotiations until the club finally tips into administration and then can be bought cheaply as Mike Ashley did with House of Fraser.

I can believe that there are interested parties at the right price but I would be very surprised if they wanted to buy them as is.

Aldershot’s a good shout. Alternative ex league clubs in the National League are Wrexham and Leyton Orient. Or go down a level to National League North and you could buy York. Even better, in National League South. you could buy Torquay and get Gary & Pete  Johnson thrown in for free!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

There are several problems with the rumour that someone from Jersey is going to buy Rovers and do a land swap with UWE to build a new stadium at Frenchay. First, the UWE land was given to the university by Hewlet Packard, with the proviso that it could not subsequently sold. A land swap could be construed as selling the UWE land for the same price as it pays for the Filton site. Any lawyers out there who can clarify the legal situation. 

The second problem, is how much would the buyer have to pay, and what would he / she get for the money? Assuming Wael and family what to recover their costs, it’s an initial payment of £10m - £12m. For that, it’s just a piece of land at Frenchay and the players (combined worth £100k?)

Next comes the build cost of the new stadium. Rotherham’s 12k capacity ground, opened in 2012,  cost £20m. Allow a bit for inflation and it would be £25m+ for a basic stadium, ok for league 1, but unsuitable for the Championship. Ashton Gate cost approx £50m to develop, so a completely new build Championship standard  ground would be well in excess of that. 

So, it’s spend close £100m to buy the club and  get the infrastructure right, before there’s any expenditure on players, and virtually no guarantee that there will be any profit. There are much cheaper ways of getting into football. There are better bargains available and you could buy a National League team for peanuts, and spend the money on players for promotion to league 2. The article below, from 2016, gives a good guide to club values:

“An Average Team in league 1 or League 2

Unlike the championship, BPL money doesn’t flow down as much and these clubs have only seen a moderate rise in valuation. Again, if a club is based in a major city, owns it’s stadium or has a large fan base then prices can increase significantly. That being said, most League 1 teams can be acquired for £20m or less and League 2 teams can be taken over for £10m or less. In each scenario you would be taking on around 20–50% of the amount paid for the club in debt. Some League 2 clubs are under £1m e.g. Newport County.”

But you have completely over looked #Gaslogic facts.

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Aldershot’s a good shout. Alternative ex league clubs in the National League are Wrexham and Leyton Orient. Or go down a level to National League North and you could buy York. Even better, in National League South. you could buy Torquay and get Gary & Pete  Johnson thrown in for free!

Definitely - all good ex league clubs not burdened by massive debt.  Torquay don't own their own ground but it's on long term lease from the council; this has the advantage that nobody can run up a huge debt against it.

You'd pay a tenth of the price for any of those that you would have to pay for Rovers and spend a bit more and you'll be in L1 in five years with your own ground and no debt.

The one advanatge of Rovers over these is that they currently have a 6,000 crowd but you can grow that.

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Definitely - all good ex league clubs not burdened by massive debt.  Torquay don't own their own ground but it's on long term lease from the council; this has the advantage that nobody can run up a huge debt against it.

You'd pay a tenth of the price for any of those that you would have to pay for Rovers and spend a bit more and you'll be in L1 in five years with your own ground and no debt.

The one advanatge of Rovers over these is that they currently have a 6,000 crowd but you can grow that.

You can't ignore the fact that that is 6000 Gas .

Not the same is it ?

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Does it cost that much to take down a few tents?

Maybe not, but the site will need fumigating, or some sort of deep clean at the very least. I know students are not reknowned for being fussy, but even students are likely to turn up their noses at being housed on land previously used by the fewers and their collection of tents, portacabins and portaloos.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

York City are moving into new stadium next season. 8000 cap sharing with York rugby league team.

1 hour ago, cityal said:

Maybe not, but the site will need fumigating, or some sort of deep clean at the very least. I know students are not reknowned for being fussy, but even students are likely to turn up their noses at being housed on land previously used by the fewers and their collection of tents, portacabins and portaloos.

They will have to remove three feet of topsoil.

• Like 1