IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 hours ago, wood_red said:

Kingswood definitely is not, you may see a few saddos wearing da famous quarterz but pretty much guaranteed to be the age of 50+. The old school Sags from years ago who still live here are obviously still around, but there are a lot more 18-30 year olds who are mainly City - and there were definitely a lot more City fans 20 years ago than what many would be led to believe.

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No chance is kingswood heavily rovers . 

Maybe we see it differently then. I wouldn't say heavily but I spend a lot of time around Kingswood high street unfortunately and I'd say it's quite prevalent. Maybe it's bad timing?

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Maybe we see it differently then. I wouldn't say heavily but I spend a lot of time around Kingswood high street unfortunately and I'd say it's quite prevalent. Maybe it's bad timing?

Love the use of prevalent makes being gas sound like some sort of anti social behaviour :laugh: 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, it’s a random member of the public they needed to pick up from a bus stop. They needed their fare money to go towards the petrol to get them around their tour circuit. 

I heard they overcharged her and used some of the extra money so that they could upgrade their sprinklers to 'championship ready'

#thesethingstaketime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Now Kingswood High is definitely heavily Gas, you only have to look and hear the state of them to know this, and let’s be honest who’d want to be seen up there?

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:44, Kodjias Wrist said:

So what are the rovers hotspots then? Hanham, St.George,Downend, Mangotsfield, Keynsham, Warmley, Yate? 

what's redfield like these days? 

Close proximity to Easton/St George should be gas by all accounts, but not sure if any OTIBers live there and can confirm/refute?

21 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Another happy chappie.....

Happy.jpg

Happy Henry from Henbury.

He might be from somewhere else.....

So many of their signings look exactly like that though. He may as well be on his last walk to death row :laugh:

Edited by Taz
  • Haha 1

As an old ex 'Woodie (in my 50's now :( ), Kingswood was definitely gas when I was growing up. In supporters groups on my age, it probably still is predominantly blue but definitely not with the youngsters. I would suggest that age group is split much more closely if not in our favour nowadays. In my younger days, you rarely saw our red in Kingswood, apart from a few of us but now it's certainly being worn proudly by the younger generation.

One thing I can state, living where I do now, is that Banjo (I live nearby) is still defiantly gas, the poor buggers, although you do see kids wearing BCFC colours.

They're losing the youngsters to us from their 'heartlands' in big numbers, that should be very worrying for them. Luckily I'm a red so it's all good! :)

15 hours ago, nebristolred said:

You may well see a few wearing their tops, but I mean Kingswood generally. I have been here all my life and and friends of mine would probably be split easily 70:30 in Citys favour, and not a single neighbour of mine is a Sag. The couple of pubs I go in would be around 50:50 - but only a handful of those Sags go and watch them whereas a high proportion of City fans actually go to matches. 

That is why they are doomed, the so called old school fans I know don't bother anymore, and the younger generation are generally Reds.

22 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

As an old ex 'Woodie (in my 50's now :( ), Kingswood was definitely gas when I was growing up. In supporters groups on my age, it probably still is predominantly blue but definitely not with the youngsters. I would suggest that age group is split much more closely if not in our favour nowadays. In my younger days, you rarely saw our red in Kingswood, apart from a few of us but now it's certainly being worn proudly by the younger generation.

One thing I can state, living where I do now, is that Banjo (I live nearby) is still defiantly gas, the poor buggers, although you do see kids wearing BCFC colours.

They're losing the youngsters to us from their 'heartlands' in big numbers, that should be very worrying for them. Luckily I'm a red so it's all good! :)

Always been plenty of City fans in Cadbury Heath. It’s just that the stronghold of Gas centred around the estate pubs there.

Below is an excerpt from a book where a foreigner stumbles upon Banjo Island in the 1970’s and encounters some of the Sag Family Club loved by everyone welcome.

F9EBF2E4-8E86-40CC-B8C9-787092557671.jpeg

B29E21A1-D640-4AC9-8F44-BBFD880842DF.jpeg

D4562388-D2FF-4E4A-8671-30E6B0944DDD.jpeg

5702E5C3-F9C0-48E7-BDA5-C429BF7BC625.jpeg

E9CFC11B-78DB-4719-AE56-F3B4DB1B5D0D.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

There were plenty of City fans in Patchway and Little Stoke when I lived there 40 years ago. Probably helped that we were in the top flight at the time. I imagine there's a lot more now though.

All my mob are reds we lived in Patchway now in little Stoke lots of reds in both areas now 

Following on with the Sunderland fans' appreciation subject: 

To Sunderland fans, we're like a semi-squashed hedgehog lying by the side of the road.

They see the pathetic state of the poor beast, and say "Aww man, I really like hedgehogs, much more than those greedy arrogant bastards like cats, with their rich owners giving them everything they want. And I've always loved that spiny kit they have. Unique in the mammal world, like".

With its last breath, the poor hedgehog croaks "Cheers, mackems, it means a lot to me", before rolling over and dying.

No doubt @Aizoon will be able to offer some insight.

On the subject of @Aizoon, where are you?

Has anybody heard of him or seen him lately? 

I hope he is OK, as I know he is quite 'elderly'.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Always been plenty of City fans in Cadbury Heath. It’s just that the stronghold of Gas centred around the estate pubs there.

Below is an excerpt from a book where a foreigner stumbles upon Banjo Island in the 1970’s and encounters some of the Sag Family Club loved by everyone welcome.

Sir Bernard Lovell was a famous what now?

6 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

A couple of K. Westers stood in front the Banjo flag. I remember bumping into a big mob from Banjo Island on the Centre in the early 80’s, they started singing about being gas from Banjo Island which i’d never heard of at the time, only a few of us yet they started on us not realising there was a few more of our mates round the corner, ended up in a running battle down Baldwin Street, it was meant to be round two the following Saturday but they didn’t show up, that was my first and last encounter with Banjo Island !!!

• Admin
2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

No doubt @Aizoon will be able to offer some insight.

On the subject of @Aizoon, where are you?

Has anybody heard of him or seen him lately? 

I hope he is OK, as I know he is quite 'elderly'.....

Not sure he’d appreciate quite ‘elderly’

He last posted on his FB page 56 minutes ago, so I can only assume he is still alive and kicking (and swilling cider in and around Gloucester Road pubs).

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

At the risk of being somewhat pedantic, he was not exactly as described in the book, i.e. he was an astronomer, rather than an astrologer. 

Being correct is not pedantry. One is an evidence based, peer reviewed science, the other is a snake oil salesman. 

Next time you’re in The Three Lions why not buy a copy of my new book, ‘Which Tyler, and the Pedant’s Revolt.’ Price 1 pint?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

Being correct is not pedantry. One is an evidence based, peer reviewed science, the other is a snake oil salesman. 

Next time you’re in The Three Lions why not buy a copy of my new book, ‘Which Tyler, and the Pedant’s Revolt.’ Price 1 pint?

It is far too late this evening to reply in detail to your amusing post, although I have read (and enjoyed) Mary Jackson's article - Lynne Truss wrote a similarly humorous and interesting book. 

As a matter of principle, however, I am tempted to insist that, in so far as it concerns the late Sir Bernard Lovell, and especially in the context of the book extract quoted, it may (as opposed to might) well be considered pedantic to argue whether he was an astronomer or an astrologer. 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2019 at 10:24, Gert Mare said:

Patchway (Gas), Horfield (Gas), Eastville (Gas), Staple Hill (Gas), Fishponds (Gas), Kingswood (Gas), Cadbury Heath/Banjo (Gas), Yate (Gas)

Yate tradionally was a Gas area without a doubt.

However, when the town expanded  (mostly during the 70s + 80s) families relocated from all over Bristol and thankfully tipped the balance which is now firmly in City's favour.

Having gone through secondry school (early 90's) my age group was always majority of City fans - but the older generations more Gas.

When my age group hit the pub scene in the mid 90's and on to the 00's you could see a big change with City fanbase getting larger and the Gas reducing.

I think the worrying thing for the Gas now is the lack of new fans coming through for them. 

It is evident that for the youngsters, City shirts are a far more common site than Gas shirts - there is a definate lack of blue shirts being worn in an around Yate nowadays - ???

• Like 3