IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not sure he’d appreciate quite ‘elderly’

He last posted on his FB page 56 minutes ago, so I can only assume he is still alive and kicking (and swilling cider in and around Gloucester Road pubs).

In that case, I apologise to @Aizoon.

I don't use Facebook or similar social media, but am glad to hear that he is still active.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh it is to people on here.....I was called a ‘pedant’ for pointing out that our former ‘20 league goals a season striker Bobby Reid’ had never scored 20 league goals in a season in his career....

Now that is pedantic 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, City37 said:

Yate tradionally was a Gas area without a doubt.

However, when the town expanded  (mostly during the 70s + 80s) families relocated from all over Bristol and thankfully tipped the balance which is now firmly in City's favour.

Having gone through secondry school (early 90's) my age group was always majority of City fans - but the older generations more Gas.

When my age group hit the pub scene in the mid 90's and on to the 00's you could see a big change with City fanbase getting larger and the Gas reducing.

I think the worrying thing for the Gas now is the lack of new fans coming through for them. 

It is evident that for the youngsters, City shirts are a far more common site than Gas shirts - there is a definate lack of blue shirts being worn in an around Yate nowadays - ???

This is something about which they do worry and is discussed on their forum.  The days when Rovers had a serious chance of a higher league position than us are long gone; they don't even have a realistic chance of playing in the same division.

Add in our cup runs and the embarrassing state of their ground then any Bristol kid who wants to start watching football is going to need a very strong line in self-deprecating humour if they're going to select Rovers over City as their team to watch.

This has been the case for ten years, maybe fifteen or twenty.  With no prospect of anything changing given the refusal of the Rovers' owners to spend anything other than the bare minimum to field a team and stop the ground falling down.

• Like 1

I’ve just noticed that it’s going to be Pompey that they are playing at Webley. I didn’t realise the other semi final had taken place this week, because the details for that competition are so far down the listings on Flashscores!

It must be the lowest profile qualification for a game at Wembley I’ve ever (not) seen!

Until, of course, Rovers confirm their place in the final. Then the whole world will sit up and take notice..! 

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’ve just noticed that it’s going to be Pompey that they are playing at Webley. I didn’t realise the other semi final had taken place this week, because the details for that competition are so far down the listings on Flashscores!

It must be the lowest profile qualification for a game at Wembley I’ve ever (not) seen!

Until, of course, Rovers confirm their place in the final. Then the whole world will sit up and take notice..! 

The Bury v Pompey semi-final was live on Sky. Does this mean that we'll be able to settle down to watch the 15ers play Sunderland at the tented village next week?

To answer my own question, yes we can. Alternatively Sky are showing Derby v Wigan.

Edited by Rudolf Hucker

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The Bury v Pompey semi-final was live on Sky. Does this mean that we'll be able to settle down to watch the 15ers play Sunderland at the tented village next week?

To answer my own question, yes we can. Alternatively Sky are showing Derby v Wigan.

Blimey! Have Rovers had a generator installed, to cater for that..?!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I love the former Gas "hard man" quoted in that article: "You’d get beat up one week, then another week".

Seems their "fearsome reputation" is well deserved! ? :handbags:

Yeah, sounds like they used to get their heads kicked in every week.

Fortunately these days they’ve turned their attentions to things that don’t generally fight back...horses, minibuses carrying injured players and pert breasts.

That article reads like it’s been written by a Saghead, it’s got that “my God, aren’t we amazing” style throughout. My only experience of Banjo Island is playing the Lamb in a Sunday League match once. Some Lurch looking zombie in goal desperately tried to intimidate me every time we had a corner so I just laughed at him. I bagged a couple of goals as well which didn’t help his mood ?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

On 24/02/2019 at 13:34, Red Army 75 said:

We are a L2 team with non league facilities, local league standard Chairman with Premiership loyal fans

Deary me . Premiership fans what a ******* deluded moron

What he means is most of them stay at home to watch their , occasional, matches on the Telly whilst wearing Man City shirts . 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

in jaw dropping disbelief.