IGNORED

ROI V Wales - Bad Tackle (Merged)

BCFCGav

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Bale's 'tackle' could have easily ended the same way, shocking 5 mins of football.

Generally the bad or reckless tackles don't cause the the worse injuries imo

its normally the inconspicuous twists or falls that do 

Hopefully Coleman makes a speedy recovery and Ireland sneak a winner

Isn't it time they made the punishment fit the crime? When someone commits such a vile tackle as Neil Taylor did last night, he should be banned until Seamus Coleman is fit enough to play again. Should happen at every level in the game.  

19 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Isn't it time they made the punishment fit the crime? When someone commits such a vile tackle as Neil Taylor did last night, he should be banned until Seamus Coleman is fit enough to play again. Should happen at every level in the game.  

How do you prove intent unless you admit it after like Roy Keane did with Harland.?

If you're sent off, and no one appeals. Intent isn't really necessary. The sheer  lunacy of launching a two footed tackle with both feet in the air is sufficient. Or a one footed tackle. Or a head butt.  You name it.  If you're prepared to commit as act that maims or injures someone on the pitch, be prepared to take the punishment. And let it fit the crime.

32 minutes ago, 1953 said:

If you're sent off, and no one appeals. Intent isn't really necessary. The sheer  lunacy of launching a two footed tackle with both feet in the air is sufficient. Or a one footed tackle. Or a head butt.  You name it.  If you're prepared to commit as act that maims or injures someone on the pitch, be prepared to take the punishment. And let it fit the crime.

Mistimed tackles cause injuries,  it's meant to be a contact sport . Accidents will happen , the alternative is a version of touch rugby if that's what you would like to see then more power to you. But to ban someone for say 6 months, you have to prove intent.

17 hours ago, phantom said:

For those of you that are squeamish scroll past now 

FB_IMG_1490393476492.jpg

Jesus that is ******* horrible. Worse than Dani Rodriguez and I never thought I`d say that.

All the best Seamus, you`re going to have a long road back from that going on first appearances.

2 hours ago, 1953 said:

Bad idea.

Actually no, horrendous idea.

Sorry I did have a proper response that delved into the issues at hand and went into real detail about why this is a crap idea but my wifi crashed. Let me know if you want me to retype it.

10 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Bad idea.

Actually no, horrendous idea.

Sorry I did have a proper response that delved into the issues at hand and went into real detail about why this is a crap idea but my wifi crashed. Let me know if you want me to retype it.

Yes please.  Retype it.  [I'm assuming no charge is made for this service]

Well I'm going to disagree. If the punishment did fit the crime then I think Roy Keane would have not gone I  with the same intention. If you go out in your car you know you can drive with your eyes closed but you wouldn't do it because the chances are you'd crash and be done for driving without due care and attention. If every player tackled airborne two footed all the time with no intent to injure, how many men would be left on the field at the end of most games.  Of course it's a contact sport but there's no room in it for tackles like that.

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

Well I'm going to disagree. If the punishment did fit the crime then I think Roy Keane would have not gone I  with the same intention. If you go out in your car you know you can drive with your eyes closed but you wouldn't do it because the chances are you'd crash and be done for driving without due care and attention. If every player tackled airborne two footed all the time with no intent to injure, how many men would be left on the field at the end of most games.  Of course it's a contact sport but there's no room in it for tackles like that.

I'd like to agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

There would be such a grey area in this, just because someone appeals doesn't mean that there was no intent, they could be just appealing to cover themselves.

It does seem like these kind of tackles are coming into the game more recently but everything seems to go through periods of happening (diving, imaginary yellow / red cards, certain types of injuries & elbowing).

I thought O'Shea was lucky to escape a broken leg by Gareth Bale only seconds before Colemans unfortunate accident but that is what it was, an unfortunate accident, I guess what it requires is for players to evaluate what sort of tackles they make but the art of tackling is being taken out of the game as it is, I really hope we never have a game of football where it becomes non-contact. The game is changing so much as it is, even looking back to when I started playing in the early 80's, the game has changed & not necessarily for the better.

It may have been an accident that Coleman's leg ended up broken, but it was no accident that Taylor went in with two feet airborne. My point is that the minute a player takes both feet off the ground he is out of control and an accident waiting to happen. 

14 minutes ago, 1953 said:

It may have been an accident that Coleman's leg ended up broken, but it was no accident that Taylor went in with two feet airborne. My point is that the minute a player takes both feet off the ground he is out of control and an accident waiting to happen. 

Unfortunately I think it's become part of the game & as such players now expect these kind of challenges & use them as a kind of protection for themselves (get them before they get me type of thing).

I used to hate it on a Sunday morning when you'd come up against some headcase that wasn't worried about the fact you had work the following day & didn't get paid for being off work.

In Taylor's defence, he's never come across as 'that' type of player before from what I've seen & I honestly think it was really just an unfortunate accident, it was a split second thing. I'm pretty sure it's an incident that will affect Taylor for the rest of his career.

Exactly.... And part of the game it needs to cease being. I know there will never be a punishment to fit the crime , though Cantona did make a good attempt to earn himself one by involving the crowd, but if the deterrent was sufficient then the day of these types of tackle would be numbered. And the game would be better for it. 

Archived