IGNORED

ROI V Wales - Bad Tackle (Merged)

BCFCGav

7 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Exactly.... And part of the game it needs to cease being. I know there will never be a punishment to fit the crime , though Cantona did make a good attempt to earn himself one by involving the crowd, but if the deterrent was sufficient then the day of these types of tackle would be numbered. And the game would be better for it. 

There's no denying that but it would be nigh on impossible to implement & then you'd need to do something about elbows & diving etc.

I think that was why the automatic 3 match ban was initially brought in, wasn't it? So that it sent out a harsher message to any potential culprits.

The thing is, I don't think Taylor set out to break Coleman's leg & to prove that he did beyond any doubt would be impossible to prove. Unless for whatever reason Taylor was stupid enough to admit he did it with intent.

In theory, I guess what you're asking for is any violent action (tackle, elbow, punch, head butt or bite) to be punished by a bigger (longer) punishment but to instil this I think it needs to be done irrespective of what injuries result in those actions. As that way you punish the intent irrespective of the damage caused.

I guess the next step up is automatic 5 game bans & that would then last for a few years until the punishment no longer fits the offence.

Maybe they could do as they do in non-league football, ban them for a month or so on dependant on the offence?

I've been watching since the 60s and there have always been those occasional bad tackles that just defied belief. I don't think the same intensity  applied in yesteryear.  But there is no doubt in my mind that there is insufficient punishment for a potentially career ending tackle at present. And I still say once you have two feet in the air for a tackle you have lost the right to say it was purely accidental.

42 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I've been watching since the 60s and there have always been those occasional bad tackles that just defied belief. I don't think the same intensity  applied in yesteryear.  But there is no doubt in my mind that there is insufficient punishment for a potentially career ending tackle at present. And I still say once you have two feet in the air for a tackle you have lost the right to say it was purely accidental.

In the seventies and eighties players very frequently sought to injure/inhibit/intimidate

Tackling - slide tackling, blocking means feet will both leave the ground at times .. Without the above intent, that  intent has left football in general.

As a coach I feel players have to have the option of putting their body in, both feet off the ground, being able to use significant force, the full John Terry at times to affect an opponent in possession, in what is a game of physical contact. If that is removed what is is left is shadowing opponents hoping they make a mistake, and waving arms legs like netball.

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In the seventies and eighties players very frequently sought to injure/inhibit/intimidate opponents with a reducer. It was accepted by players and referees that the first one, two and three did not even gain a booking.

Tackling - slide tackling, blocking means feet will both leave the ground at times .. Without the above intent. That intent has left football in general.

As a coach I feel players have to have the option of putting their body, both feet off the ground, being bale to use force, the full John Terry at times to affect an opponent in possession in what is a game of physical contact. If that is removed what is is left is shadowing opponents hoping they make a mistake, and waving arms legs like netball.

Back when I used to play / captain, I was never one for a blood & thunder tackle but I would inform any teammates of mine that I knew would enjoy a tackle to make sure they 'hit' the oppositions best player hard within the first five minutes because a) the referee was very unlikely to book him or worse & b) the oppositions best player would either be struggling with a knock or injury or wouldn't want to come anywhere near my player who was likely to 'hit' him again.

And it worked for the majority of the time & made my enforcer realise that in theory he had a free hit that could dictate the rest of the game.

31 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Back when I used to play / captain, I was never one for a blood & thunder tackle but I would inform any teammates of mine that I knew would enjoy a tackle to make sure they 'hit' the oppositions best player hard within the first five minutes because a) the referee was very unlikely to book him or worse & b) the oppositions best player would either be struggling with a knock or injury or wouldn't want to come anywhere near my player who was likely to 'hit' him again.

And it worked for the majority of the time & made my enforcer realise that in theory he had a free hit that could dictate the rest of the game.

Two words.

Chris Taylor

Right idea but too hard to implement. Also, the martin taylor/ eduardo one is very similar, and if you saw the reaction by taylor, you would know it was never his intention for that to happen, similar with the ryan shawcross one. 

I think there is a case for repeat offenders such as keane, but there are only 1 or 2 left in the game these days... cattermole is one, and probably diego costa is another.

I've never known where to repeat this.  But then I was playing in the Sunday league U17 in Taunton with either playing for St. Georges or Hulan.  I was Right back usually and in a game at Wellsprings I tackled a lad and broke his leg.   Oh shit did all hell break loose.  Ambulance came, people shouted at me.  Then nothing.  I went home to mums cold sunday dinner to heat up as usual. And life went on

There was no intent, its not me.  But we were always and constantly during the game being told to go in hard by our 'manager'. I carry the guilt and often think about it.  But I do not know his name or even remember his team.  Curry Rivel or Nether Stowey springs to mind.  

First time I have ever written that down

(I have to edit and say it was 37 years ago)

On 3/26/2017 at 05:42, Cowshed said:

In the seventies and eighties players very frequently sought to injure/inhibit/intimidate

Tackling - slide tackling, blocking means feet will both leave the ground at times .. Without the above intent, that  intent has left football in general.

As a coach I feel players have to have the option of putting their body in, both feet off the ground, being able to use significant force, the full John Terry at times to affect an opponent in possession, in what is a game of physical contact. If that is removed what is is left is shadowing opponents hoping they make a mistake, and waving arms legs like netball.

The 1970 FA Cup final replay is a great example:

Replay at Old Trafford[edit]

The replay at Old Trafford, watched by a television audience of 28 million,[7] a record for an FA Cup final, became one of the most notorious clashes in English football for the harshness of play, which exceeded the previous game at Wembley. The referee in charge of both games, 47-year-old Eric Jennings from Stourbridge, in his last season as a Football League referee, allowed rough play by both sides throughout, playing the advantage to its full extent. He booked only one player, Ian Hutchinson of Chelsea, during the game.

Modern-day referee David Elleray reviewed the match in 1997, and concluded that the sides would have received six red cards and twenty yellow cards between them, in the modern era of football.[8] Tommy Baldwin and Terry Cooper, admittedly two of the quieter men in the two sides, were kicking lumps out of one another, as the battle began. Not long into the game, Chelsea's Ron Harris caught winger Eddie Gray with a kick to the back of the knee, an action which neutralised the Scottish winger for the rest of the game. Norman Hunter and Ian Hutchinson traded punches while McCreadie and Johnny Giles lunged at opposition players. Charlton kneed and headbutted Peter Osgood while Chelsea's goalkeeper Peter Bonetti was injured after being bundled into the net by Leeds' Jones, who, minutes later, rounded the limping Bonetti and scored the opener.

13 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

I've never known where to repeat this.  But then I was playing in the Sunday league U17 in Taunton with either playing for St. Georges or Hulan.  I was Right back usually and in a game at Wellsprings I tackled a lad and broke his leg.   Oh shit did all hell break loose.  Ambulance came, people shouted at me.  Then nothing.  I went home to mums cold sunday dinner to heat up as usual. And life went on

There was no intent, its not me.  But we were always and constantly during the game being told to go in hard by our 'manager'. I carry the guilt and often think about it.  But I do not know his name or even remember his team.  Curry Rivel or Nether Stowey springs to mind.  

First time I have ever written that down

(I have to edit and say it was 37 years ago)

I gave up even 5 a side as I was terrible and was in real danger of hurting someone.  Got hurt plenty of times myself though!  No intention on my part and in 11 a side games I was worse, I just wasn't good enough to keep up with the pace so every tackle was late, and poor.

Must be horrible to be someone that takes out another professional.

6 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I gave up even 5 a side as I was terrible and was in real danger of hurting someone.  Got hurt plenty of times myself though!  No intention on my part and in 11 a side games I was worse, I just wasn't good enough to keep up with the pace so every tackle was late, and poor.

Must be horrible to be someone that takes out another professional.

Very witty and thanks.  Puts into perspective.  But I do still feel bad about it

22 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Very witty and thanks.  Puts into perspective.  But I do still feel bad about it

I understand, I had mates that went through the same thing, from both sides.

These things happen, I just realised I was a menace and was better off with with a pie and a pint on the sidelines.  Pretty sure my team mates agreed too, they were in as much danger as the opposition.

Glaciers had formed and melted by the time I got my studs in.

• Admin

Fifa has opened proceedings against Wales full-back Neil Taylor after his leg-breaking challenge on Republic of Ireland's Seamus Coleman.

The Everton defender, 28, was taken off on a stretcher after the tackle which saw Taylor sent off during last Friday's World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

Coleman was taken to hospital and required surgery on a double break.

Taylor, 28, will be suspended for the qualifier in Serbia in June, but could have his one-game ban extended by Fifa.

Wales captain Ashley Williams recently revealed that Taylor wanted to see Coleman in hospital, and sent him a text message from the Aviva Stadium.

"Neil was gutted. He was sitting on the floor virtually in tears," he told the Everton website.

"Even people who don't know Seamus like I do were gutted.

"He asked me to check if it would be OK to go to see Seamus in hospital. He got his number off me and sent him a text straight away.

"When I found out it was a broken leg it made me feel sick inside because it's someone who I like so much and is one of my mates."

Taylor began his professional career at Wrexham before moving to Swansea in 2010, helping the club win promotion to the Premier League in 2011.

The left-back moved to Championship club Aston Villa in January.

I'm sure relatively few players do intend damage  when they tackle. Very few drunk drivers intend to hurt anyone when they're at the wheel. But if you injure someone because of your actions, where that involves your foot halfway up someone's leg while you're airborne, I still maintain you have no defence to the charge that it is reckless, and being sorry is closing the stable door long after the horse has bolted. 

Archived