IGNORED

Season Card renewal (Merged)

Red Tel

34 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

The 'product' is Bristol City Football Club. That's not going to change.

The club aren't forcing you to buy anything. Just wait until the season is over and buy a ticket then (when our Championship status will be confirmed) :)

A lot easier said than done

Will be doing mine but I do think being forced to renew or lose your seat before the current season ends is unacceptable. 

Every current season ticket holder should have a period at the end of the season to decide whether they wish to renew their seat. Not a month before the current season ends. 

8 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I agree with that.  But not at "early bird" prices.

That was the one thing that annoyed me. I couldn't see any indication that 'now' is the cheapest time to buy. 

Unless I missed something, there was no suggestion that early renewal was a cash saving enticement.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That was the one thing that annoyed me. I couldn't see any indication that 'now' is the cheapest time to buy. 

Unless I missed something, there was no suggestion that early renewal was a cash saving enticement.

Not seen any indication that the price will change - just the fact your current seat is secured

Worst case scenario and we go down, nobody would surely be inept enough to advertise tickets at an increased rate?

My dilema, I'm finding midweek games harder to get to because of work - in the long run maybe better off buying a membership and purchasing individual matches?

52 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

The 'product' is Bristol City Football Club. That's not going to change.

The club aren't forcing you to buy anything. Just wait until the season is over and buy a ticket then (when our Championship status will be confirmed) :)

Disagree with respect about the product. It isn't just about the football club, its where they stand in terms of who they are playing against, and the subsequent buzz of match day.

If anyone thinks the overall "product" on offer against say Villa at home will be comparable to any league One match except maybe the Gas are wrong in my opinion. If for the simple reason that the players on show will be inferior. This is why I believe there are plenty who won't stump up now for the possibility of shit league One football yet again.

5 days to renew or lose your seat.................    or it could perhaps be worded,

...................Thank-you for your support this season. We realise that despite many signings in the paying staff we have massively under achieved from our expectations. We will be doing our utmost to improve things on the pitch and match the facilities we hope you have enjoyed this season, off the pitch. Even though as we know our Championship status isn't assured we very much hope you stick with us etc etc.........

That would have been nice, perhaps I'm getting too sensitive in me old age

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Disagree with respect about the product. It isn't just about the football club, its where they stand in terms of who they are playing against, and the subsequent buzz of match day.

If anyone thinks the overall "product" on offer against say Villa at home will be comparable to any league One match except maybe the Gas are wrong in my opinion. If for the simple reason that the players on show will be inferior. This is why I believe there are plenty who won't stump up now for the possibility of shit league One football yet again.

This is a widely held view, and one I can sympathise with. However, as someone who watched us in Division 4, and look back fondly at those days, the standard of opposisition doesn't really come into it for me.

I see my ST as merely paying to enter Ashton Gate to watch 23 football matches. Sure it's great to be playing as high up the ladder as possible, but with that comes a lot of tedious games where 2 well matched teams try to grind out a result. Blackburn at home is a perfect example, a few stars (ish) on show but shit game.

Give me 8-2 v Walsall all day long*!!!!!!!!!

* yeah, I know it don't always work like that.

5 minutes ago, glynriley said:

This is a widely held view, and one I can sympathise with. However, as someone who watched us in Division 4, and look back fondly at those days, the standard of opposisition doesn't really come into it for me.

I see my ST as merely paying to enter Ashton Gate to watch 23 football matches. Sure it's great to be playing as high up the ladder as possible, but with that comes a lot of tedious games where 2 well matched teams try to grind out a result. Blackburn at home is a perfect example, a few stars (ish) on show but shit game.

Give me 8-2 v Walsal all day long*!!!!!!!!!

* yeah, I know it don't always work like that.

Rather have a 3-1 v Aston Villa any day 

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

compare him to before and we've gone from being a top 10 league 1 club to a championship club that is lower mid-table to relegation, so in terms of history he's improved us slightly not as mush as he should of with the money he's spent but he's put the infrastructure in place that we've never had before,

On field not quite there, off field a massive success (i'm talking about facilities etc) 

It is a lovely stadium :yes:

I wonder if Watford want one?

On 27/03/2017 at 15:24, Bristol Rob said:

Probably someone who enjoys going to the game with their pals, has been around long enough to know that things change and quite enjoys his Saturday routine of pub/pals/points and opinions.

We do all see it differently, but for me the negatives of this season don't come close to outweighing the positives of my matchday experience. 

I go to football. I hope I'll enjoy the game and not just the pre and post match catch up with friends. But you can't win them all, but I enjoy watching the team try.

This perfectly sums up myself and the lads I've been going with for years.

Long may the Saturday routine continue. :dance:

40 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It is a lovely stadium :yes:

I wonder if Watford want one?

Probbilly yes,

we can only judge lansdown time at the helm when he finally leaves,

out of 10 I'd give him a 6 currently plenty of room for massive improvement 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Not seen any indication that the price will change - just the fact your current seat is secured

Worst case scenario and we go down, nobody would surely be inept enough to advertise tickets at an increased rate?

My dilema, I'm finding midweek games harder to get to because of work - in the long run maybe better off buying a membership and purchasing individual matches?

1 hour ago, Linkedarm wall said:

5 days to renew or lose your seat.................    or it could perhaps be worded,

...................Thank-you for your support this season. We realise that despite many signings in the paying staff we have massively under achieved from our expectations. We will be doing our utmost to improve things on the pitch and match the facilities we hope you have enjoyed this season, off the pitch. Even though as we know our Championship status isn't assured we very much hope you stick with us etc etc.........

That would have been nice, perhaps I'm getting too sensitive in me old age

All of the above are spot-on. It's a cynical, exploitative and downright unfair way to treat fans who, by the club's own admission and with the exception of a noisy minority, have been for the most part outstandingly loyal, despite a season of gross under-achievement and another desperate relegation struggle. It feels for me at the moment like another nail in the coffin of a lifelong relationship with the club that has seen me support them for over half a century, and part of a long, slow process of falling out of love with both the club itself and football in general. This move lays bare an underlying attitude on the part of the club towards its supporters that has become all too common in modern day football.

If I renew, which is by no means certain, it will be reluctantly and with a good deal of anger and resentment at the way that the club has quite calculatedly put fans over a barrel. The "if you don't like it, wait and see how the season turns out before you commit" line doesn't wash. Most people attend with friends and family: I suspect relatively few sit singly and don't much care who they end up sitting next to. That makes it a very complicated business for those who would feel they have to consult with the rest of their group before deciding to bail out and leave them with an unfilled seat in their midst. The club knows full well their move puts people in an awkward dilemma for these and other reasons and takes full advantage.

As to cost, as far as I'm aware the posters above are right: there is no financial incentive to renew now - just the threat of losing your seat if you don't hand over the cash now with the current season far from finished and a completely open question as to what league we'll be in come May. In fact, not only may prices remain the same if we're relegated, so that there is no tangible reward for stumping up early, but there is no guarantee that they won't actually fall. You might think it would be a PR disaster (which it would) and that they wouldn't dare. However, consider the following scenario. ST renewals fall in the wake of this master stroke of sales management and customer relations. We go down into L1. Those who didn't renew early decide not to do so at all. The club realises it has screwed up yet again and is facing a black hole in it's projected revenue for next season through a huge loss of ST holders, so the Board collectively soils itself, as has become customary in these sorts of situations in recent years, and starts frantically back-peddling, looking for incentives to renew that might have to include the unpalatable option of actually dropping prices below the level the some people have already paid for no more than the mere privilege of retaining their existing seat. Unlikely? Maybe, but on the experience of the last few years, I wouldn't put anything past this shower. 

It's a disgraceful way to treat loyal customers and, as you've probably gathered by now, I'm absolutely fuming. If it ends up biting them on the arse and costing the club serious money, it will be no more than they bloody well deserve.

@CliftonCliff

Quite agree with most of what you've written. As it happens I renewed on day one, despite my annoyance with the fact that didn't seem to offer me a financial advantage in doing so.

One thing the club do seem to overlook is the habitual nature of going to football. I've lost count of the number of lapsed supporters who I've met over the years who for whatever reason stopped going to games, a lot of them former season ticket holders.

As with lots of things, once you break the cycle of doing something it's difficult to get back in to the habit again. 

With the pricing and renewing options this season, the club aren't encouraging those who are wavering based on performance.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

One thing the club do seem to overlook is the habitual nature of going to football. I've lost count of the number of lapsed supporters who I've met

It's really noticeable how many people sat around where I sit no longer go to games this season - which must be a telling sign in itself, especially as they have already paid !

After a lot of thought and discussions with my dad, we've decided, after 41 and 63 seasons respectfully, not to renew.

I have been vocal in my criticism of the club and their attitude towards supporters and our views on the head coach and it would be hypocritical of me to renew. I find the email received today, which is the first communication I've had from the club about renewal, pretty poor TBH. 

I may POTD for some games but 2 excellent seats towards the back of Dolman B will be available in 5 days.

All that said, I wish the team well and will be backing them with gusto until the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I realise that, just wondered what the club's stance was on this & if you didn't pay by direct debit would they refund you should the worst happen and we're relegated. 

Very much doubt they'd refund  on the basis of relegation.

Archived