IGNORED

Genuine Question........

ooRya

Bristol City are in reality a "small club" who for most of their existence have been a club yo-yoing between the lower leagues. We are currently enduring a bad season, but have been here countless times before, and no doubt we'll be here again in the future.

My question is, why does this season seem to be so much worse than others in the minds of so many supporters? Why is there so much anger/abuse/hatred being banded about this season in comparison to previous occasions?

Is there a genuine reason why this season is worse than other seasons where we have struggled, or is it simply that it's a symptom of the modern "social media world"?

1 minute ago, ooRya said:

Bristol City are in reality a "small club" who for most of their existence have been a club yo-yoing between the lower leagues. We are currently enduring a bad season, but have been here countless times before, and no doubt we'll be here again in the future.

My question is, why does this season seem to be so much worse than others in the minds of so many supporters? Why is there so much anger/abuse/hatred being banded about this season in comparison to previous occasions?

Is there a genuine reason why this season is worse than other seasons where we have struggled, or is it simply that it's a symptom of the modern "social media world"?

Go back and have a look at the you tube videos of club officials  ( or the three stooges ) and listen to the bullshit and bluster we were being fed . People aren't as stupid as this regime would like to think.

13 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I'll have a go.

IMHO, this pathetic excuse for a season has been totally avoidable, hence the utter frustration and disbelief among supporters. I know I keep harping on but our head coach has clearly been in over his head for a very long time. If we had removed him and installed a proper Manager, we would not be in the position we are in.

His diatribe has not split the supporters, we're united against him but the owner / the clubs backing of him has caused huge unrest and almost a 'blase' attitude among some, to the extent that people / fans are walking away.

I genuinely think it's going to take some serious thought from our leaders to gt these fans back onside, if they want that,. Even some that are sticking around are doing so in spite of the football rather than because of it. 

The feeling of 'being taken for granted' has some substance as well.

All in all, fans are immensely frustrated this season as every single issue has been easily avoidable, a frustration made even worse by the infrastructure that now surrounds us. What a wasted opportunity!

I would say the large sums spent on transfer fees and wages served to materially raise expectations this season. If LJ had been working on a shoestring, as Cotts effectively was last season, then he would still have a decent amount of residual support, results and league position notwithstanding.

For me its a continuation of the disappointment from last year.

Last time we got relegated from this league we were a mess. We seemed to have made so much progress off the pitch, we had a fantastic season in winning the league and there was real hope and optimism for the future.

We are now arguably in a worse state than the last relegation.

We have a manager that surely no-one supports any more, yet seems untouchable? No other club in the land, possibly anywhere in the world, would stick with a manager performing as badly as ours.

The fans are now losing (or lost) faith in the suits, because of the bull shit and lies we are being fed - whilst retaining the services of this joker.

We have a squad that is clearly capable of competing in this league, which just makes the whole predicament even more farcical.

Under any other manager this squad would be pushing for play offs. I don't think you could say that about any of our recent relegation battles?

Because we spent good money, bought good players and talked the talk of a club on the up. When in fact we're once again struggling to stay in the division. We also started the season very well and at one time looked like a team who could genuinely challenge for the playoffs, rather than one that's challenging for League 1

This was suppose to be a season where we establish ourselves midtable or above

19,000-20,000 average , millions spent and we are heading to League One

Based on our attendances and our owners wealth, we are NOT a small club anymore

We should be similar to the likes of Palace, Burnley, Watford for example bouncing around in the Championship and Premier League occasionally but never threatening League One. 

17 minutes ago, ooRya said:

In The Daily Telegraph Sport section, May 2015, Steve Lansdown said "Bristol City can be one of the biggest clubs in the country." Steve Lansdown said that! One has to question whether this sort of delusion can help us understand some of the other inexplicable stupidity currently occurring at AG.

The whiff of "jobs for the boys," the whiff of favouritism, the granting of more time than any previous coach/manager failing at the foot of the table, all this might be something to do with it. Lansdown has always fired in this sort of mess but not this time. Why so? (It's because he is tired of chopping and changing; so, we'll always be sticking by coaches on runs like this in future then?)Then, there is the small matter of LJ's less-than-universal popularity with the crowd from back when he was bossing our midfield.

Previously, in this league, we had an antiquated ground with a small capacity, a bottom half average attendance, no exec boxes etc, and limited income; amateurs in key positions; amateur scouting; plus inexperience of this level at owner/board level. Now we have the opposite. Previous to Lansdown, we were handicapped by the aforementioned and did not have a very wealthy backer covering debt. Now, we have this covered.

Add to all this constant talking up of where we are headed and what the aim is by the owner, board and current head coach (challenging at the top of the Championship, the PL, Europa League ffs!) and the reality we cannot ignore - League bloody One - or the most likely destination presentlt awaiting us, and you can begin to understand some of the exasperation on here.

In previous second tier seasons, we were way way behind other clubs in every department and up against it; you could see why we struggled. This season, we have caught up and have more going for us than any time in kiving memory at this level, than enough to be lower midtable at the least, and yet still we struggle. 

Why you would get all this in place and then employ a friend with a little experience in perhaps the most important position at the club, I can only wonder. The mind boggles.

54 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Simple - massive investment in the stadium, massive investment in the playing squad, absolutely nothing to show for it. Plus failing to recruit a manager with the proven quality to back up the aforementioned ambition shown elsewhere at the club, with predictable consequences, and, worse still, failing to take any action to remedy the situation.

If we go down it will be the most shambolic and inexcusable relegation in our history.

Oh, and a club able to sell out its 45k allocation for a tinpot trophy final against Walsall is not small.

What are people expecting SL to be aiming for?

If he had said "My plan for Bristol City is to yo-yo between the Championship and League 1 year on year and win the occasional tinpot trophy to give the fans a day out at Wembley." then people would be slating him for having no ambition.

Having an ambition doesn't mean that everything falls into place in the short term. There is no magic formula that can be put into place to make sure your ambition is realised.

Prediction for May 2019: City finish in the top half of the Championship with LJ in charge and things looking positive for the following season.

So let the tiresome abuse at me begin (from those who seem to expect that May 2019 should bring a top half finish in the PL because we should have a divine right to achieve that shouldn't we?).

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Simple - massive investment in the stadium, massive investment in the playing squad, absolutely nothing to show for it. Plus failing to recruit a manager with the proven quality to back up the aforementioned ambition shown elsewhere at the club, with predictable consequences, and, worse still, failing to take any action to remedy the situation.

If we go down it will be the most shambolic and inexcusable relegation in our history.

Oh, and a club able to sell out its 45k allocation for a tinpot trophy final against Walsall is not small.

No, of the 92 we are in the middle somewhere but there is no term for this, only big and small (although massive and tinpot are used more nowadays). We are neither a big club or a small club. If you divided the 92 into thirds for "size" then we would be in the middle third, probably somewhere around the middle of the middle third. 

This season though, 30 of the 92 have a higher average. We are almost - there or thereabouts -  top third for attendances, 31/92 (whilst 41/92 for what happens on the pitch). Not too shabby, in a season like this.

Rovers, incidently, would be around the bottom of the middle third, I'd say. 

24 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

No, of the 92 we are in the middle somewhere but there is no term for this, only big and small (although massive and tinpot are used more nowadays). We are neither a big club or a small club. If you divided the 92 into thirds for "size" then we would be in the middle third, probably somewhere around the middle of the middle third. 

This season though, 30 of the 92 have a higher average. We are almost - there or thereabouts -  top third for attendances, 31/92 (whilst 41/92 for what happens on the pitch). Not too shabby, in a season like this.

Rovers, incidently, would be around the bottom of the middle third, I'd say. 

Big/small club is always an interesting debate as there are so many ways of defining it, but personally I always base it on the size of the fanbase.

If we use "how many fans would you take for a JPT final against Walsall" as the barometer, I reckon we are comfortably in the top third of the 92.

I think midtable. We should be midtable this season, playing quite good football IMO and showing signs of progression.

Apart from the first two or three months, none of this has happened! From November onwards we have had some good isolated results, some decent play in patches but at the very least we should be in midtable mediocrity this season.

Overall I echo other posters in as much as that we had a huge and great opportunity, upward trajectory summer 2015 and yet nothing in terms of pushing on, squandered it somehow.

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

Is the naked person in your avatar above the legal minimum age?

:dunno:

tfj

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

In between your snipes at anything not pro Johnson / Lansdown / club , and you're blind faith you obviously havnt bothered reading the actual threads in which case you wouldn't have been asking the question

Sort of sums it up really

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In between your snipes at anything not pro Johnson / Lansdown / club , and you're blind faith you obviously havnt bothered reading the actual threads in which case you wouldn't have been asking the question

Sort of sums it up really

Oh don't worry, I've read them.....most from start to finish.

Regardless of my opinion re LJ, Steve Lansdown or anything else, and whether or not it's a different opinion to you or most others on here, (which incidentally isn't relevant to this thread) I am still totally astounded by the level of anger and vitriol seen on this forum in recent times.

We're having a crap season...look, I get it, and I don't want to see City struggling at the wrong end of the table...the same as anyone else. But having seen City in this position many times over the years, I am just interested as to why the anger/frustration etc is greater this season than any other.

I've never know a time before where City fans have turned on each other the way it's happening right now, and to be honest that saddens me more than anything else that's going on at the moment. Just look at your own reply to me....as you say, sort of sums it up really.

3 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Oh don't worry, I've read them.....most from start to finish.

Regardless of my opinion re LJ, Steve Lansdown or anything else, and whether or not it's a different opinion to you or most others on here, (which incidentally isn't relevant to this thread) I am still totally astounded by the level of anger and vitriol seen on this forum in recent times.

We're having a crap season...look, I get it, and I don't want to see City struggling at the wrong end of the table...the same as anyone else. But having seen City in this position many times over the years, I am just interested as to why the anger/frustration etc is greater this season than any other.

I've never know a time before where City fans have turned on each other the way it's happening right now, and to be honest that saddens me more than anything else that's going on at the moment. Just look at your own reply to me....as you say, sort of sums it up really.

Yep

And the apologists / apathetic / Superfans are part of the reason 

18 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I am just interested as to why the anger/frustration etc is greater this season than any other.

Genuine answer...people keep telling you: we shouldn't be in this position; we have a talented squad being badly coached/managed; other relegation seasons the team was crap; the money spent should see us further up than 21st. How many reasons do you need?

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

No anger/abuse/hatred on my part ...  Disillusionment. 

As a fan since the seventies the way the club and team is being ran is unique. We (?) have not been here countless times before this is new.

The lack of visible anger from fans? It seems that Bristol City fans have joined the ranks of the kowtowed. That also is new, and disappointing. 

Thank you to those that have taken the time to reply.

In summary, it seems that the main reason for the exceptional disillusionment/frustration/anger this season, is mostly down to the unusually high levels of expectation that had built up.

Perhaps there's a lesson there somewhere for Steve Lansdown/Lee Johnson/Mark Ashton (and ourselves?)

I read somewhere ( 442 ?) that in terms of budget ( wages and transfer fees ) that if we are punching our weight - we should be 17th in the league. I think for the players we have our realistic expectations should be mid table. So to find us in the current position is not good enough. But is it any worse than some of the dross we have watched over the years ? Probably not.

think the problem being as an average club is when the likes of Preston,Barnsley,burton, Huddersfield pass us by. We watch stoke ,Southampton , Burnley start at same level or below us and end up being top end teams .don't forget Last years premier league champs . All been level or below us in recent times

1 minute ago, pjg11 said:

think the problem being as an average club is when the likes of Preston,Barnsley,burton, Huddersfield pass us by. We watch stoke ,Southampton , Burnley start at same level or below us and end up being top end teams .don't forget

Last years premier league champs . All been level or below us in recent times

The year we reached the PO final Leicester were relegated to L1 !!!!!!!

A sobering thought 

6 hours ago, ooRya said:

Yes the manager promised so much more, we are I believe the 3rd highest spenders on players in the division, we finally have a nice shiny new stadium and we are heading back to the cesspit of league 1 at break neck speed and the best our useless manager can come up with after a 5-0 defeat is some utter shit about a player who came into the game when we were already 3-0 down, I could go on but some people refuse to see the bleeding obvious.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think midtable. We should be midtable this season, playing quite good football IMO and showing signs of progression.

Apart from the first two or three months, none of this has happened! From November onwards we have had some good isolated results, some decent play in patches but at the very least we should be in midtable mediocrity this season.

Overall I echo other posters in as much as that we had a huge and great opportunity, upward trajectory summer 2015 and yet nothing in terms of pushing on, squandered it somehow.

I agree with you say, expect for your point re "quite good football". Imo even when we were 5th-6th in the table the football was dull, boring and uninspiring. 

Archived