IGNORED

Jealous then angry

Top Robin

I live near Brighton and what a contrast there is in footballing terms between the two cities.

In and around Brighton, shirts being proudly worn, upbeat conversations about the team, talk about relishing Premiere football next season, smiling happy fans and a team put together relatively inexspensively playing great football marshalled and drilled by a good manager.

Contrast that with what we are going through and how our long suffering fans are feeling and I must admit that I am insanely jealous which then makes way for deep anger about our situation and how easily it could have been different with a quick change of personnel. 

Said it before, you'd be amazed how differentit would be if Brighton Town had been playing league football for 100 years as well.

I have a couple of offices in Dorset and it's the same with Bournemouth. 

I went to a chamber lunch where Bournemouth were the key note speakers.All very admirable how they are using the premiership money but very blinkered and dare I say it a little arrogant. Ignoring the previous 90 years and seemingly unaware that should they slide, they will be the 4k local punter club competing with the premiership again. 

How fortunate we are to have the richest English ownwr in the history of the game guiding us to the same level.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Sounds like a utopia and why Id be all for a combined Bristol team based at Ashton Gate.

Then we might really have a chance of Europa League as per LJ, not pissing around in the lower leagues

The club is more important than a modern desire for premier league football. 

I'm happier in the lower leagues where the fans might matter a little more and we're proud of the players and management. The vibe is nothing like it was only a few years ago. 

Let's not kid ourselves. This is SLs plaything. It just happens to have our club name at the top of the headed paper. 

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sounds like a utopia and why Id be all for a combined Bristol team based at Ashton Gate.

Then we might really have a chance of Europa League as per LJ, not pissing around in the lower leagues

It's an interesting thought. Between ourselves and Rovers there's an average of somewhere between 27 - 28k watching football in Bristol this season. Not bad going for a "rugby" area. How many, combined, would watch PL football? 40k not out of the question; probably guaranteed for the biggest 4 or 5 games. A 40k ground and crowds would make any club a serious concern in the PL.

Two clubs in this city will likely mean both continue to be lower league fodder with the odd dip into the Championship.

I just want to see us in the top league again - I was fortunate enough to enjoy most of it last time. The only trouble is I'm now 60 so time is a bit more limited!

As SL is a bit older than me, perhaps he might want to move things on a bit smartish?

Otherwise, what's the point?

41 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sure, as long as they play in red and white, have the name 'city' and the mascot is a robin. Deal?

1 hour ago, exstgeorge said:

I just want to see us in the top league again - I was fortunate enough to enjoy most of it last time. The only trouble is I'm now 60 so time is a bit more limited!

As SL is a bit older than me, perhaps he might want to move things on a bit smartish?

Otherwise, what's the point?

Wait until you're coming up to 74 and you might realise like I did that I might not have more than a couple or three left!

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I live near Brighton and what a contrast there is in footballing terms between the two cities.

In and around Brighton, shirts being proudly worn, upbeat conversations about the team, talk about relishing Premiere football next season, smiling happy fans and a team put together relatively inexspensively playing great football marshalled and drilled by a good manager.

Contrast that with what we are going through and how our long suffering fans are feeling and I must admit that I am insanely jealous which then makes way for deep anger about our situation and how easily it could have been different with a quick change of personnel. 

Tony Bloom - Proper Brighton Fan

And this is not what makes him a proper fan but has invested £200 million !!!

Deserves the reward

33 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Brighton are a well run club with an excellent experienced manager.

A few years back they were offering ultra low cost season tickets to grow the fanbase further, now the AMEX is a fortruss, packed out every week.

Where do I start when it comes to City Bristol Sport,

We aren't a well run club, in fact it's a complete and utter shambles and has been for donkeys years.

Expensive season tickets that are quite frankly appalling, POTD tickets are a complete rip off, I'd suggest we have a greedy owner..

Don't get me started on the 'manager' so called. He simply isn't a football manager, he's inept and has no future in the game..

A million miles away, and will continue to be under the current dictatorship.

Sad, sad times.

Brighton are 'well run' in the sense that they have invested very heavily in (decent!) players. They are losing £ hand over fist but are being bank-rolled by Tony Bloom, who is probably pouring a good percentage of his fortune into the club. He's a a high risk taker in his professional life - I think his analysis is mostly spot on: on a risk v reward basis he knows exactly what he's doing.

Whether City are well run or not is open to debate, and the only tangible place I care about is on the football side, and certainly we seem to be going backwards at a rate of knots. I'd don't think I'd dismiss our history as being a complete shambles, but I agree that the good times have been few and far between and very limited in real significance.

As for SL being greedy, your justification for which is the season ticket and POTD prices. On the prices, I'd say season ticket prices are reasonable with a good range of affordable prices. Obviously if we get relegated they won't be such good value. I do agree that POTD prices are a bit especially if you aren't a member and the price differentials v season tickets are much too high. SL pumps £££ into the club, he's not making money on ticket prices.

LJ is 'head coach' not 'manager' BTW. I think that just means he concentrates on the footabll side of things more - yikes! Whether he should still be employed has been doen to death, but I think we are agreed this is probably the only place where he'd have a job by this time of the season. Having just listened to Sl on the radio, he isn't in the mood for sacking.

Anyway, I'm off to the Gate in a minute. If we lose I don't think I'll be able to suffer the forum for a few days!

COYR.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tony Bloom - Proper Brighton Fan

And this is not what makes him a proper fan but has invested £200 million !!!

Deserves the reward

Tony Bloom is a proper Brighton fan and yes I do know a fair bit as I live in Brighton and a friend is a share holder.  Steve Landsown has put an awful lot of money into the our club the same as Bloom has, but what is different is that he has put the right people in the the most important positions within the club from scouting, general running and most importantly I'm my opinion, a very very good established manager in Chris Hughton.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

It's an interesting thought. Between ourselves and Rovers there's an average of somewhere between 27 - 28k watching football in Bristol this season. Not bad going for a "rugby" area. How many, combined, would watch PL football? 40k not out of the question; probably guaranteed for the biggest 4 or 5 games. A 40k ground and crowds would make any club a serious concern in the PL.

Two clubs in this city will likely mean both continue to be lower league fodder with the odd dip into the Championship.

I've said it before but i actually think you would have achieved a lot more if we hadn't been so shit for so long, a strong rovers snapping at your heels would have been better rather just accepting being miles ahead of the gas, the pressure for results would be bigger. Competition at a higher level in this city would be beneficial for both clubs and would attract new fans and perhaps stop people choosing prem clubs instead of their local teams. 

Archived