IGNORED

Abusing SL vs Critising SL

beaverface

I've been reading a lot of different threads critising SL and rightly so, but some of the replies are abusive, tactless and just plain rude.

Yes SL needs to be accountable for the decisions he's made, after all he's the custodian of our great club, and it's very unusual for a football club to still have a manager in place this long given the results over the past few months, and I think difficult questions need to be asked, but without abusing the guy.

We may find ourselves in a position where he decides to upsticks, pack it all in and flog us to the first foreign owner that comes along who decide to stick Malaysian flags all around the stadium (which incidentally he'd still own). Thats a good outcome by the way, alternatively he could just dwindle his interest in us and just let the club fall through the leagues with millions of debt whilst he looks for a buyer. 

We've got to realise we've pretty much got an owner with the perfect background, with him being local, a fan, and absolutely loaded.

Yes, let's criticise him, but let's do it constructively and without abuse, as no-one will hang around if their quality of life is destroyed.

Let's not harrass SL out the club, but hold him to account where appropriate.

The problem with this is how do we hold him accountable?

What lines of communication are open to us fans to have a mature, open and honest dialogue with him?

None.

Which is why things will get tasty at some point between now and the end of the season. People are angry now and will find a way of venting it sooner or later and it won't be pretty. But what choice do we have?

Reality check:

If SL was to leave, the club would be in terrible trouble.

It isn't our club. It's his club. The fans are not part owners, fans pay to consume the products on offer.

We don't have a mechanism where we can hold him accountable, nor should we. The club belongs to him. The only way we can attempt to influence the way it is run is to withdraw our support. I suspect that this isn't effective, as SL has deep pockets. He won't miss £20-30.

I realise that this isn't popular. I'd like us to have more involvement in the club. I'd like to think that our views are listened to. It's not the reality though. It's his club, so he can do what he wants.

He does what he wants, he does what he waaaaants...

8 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I've been reading a lot of different threads critising SL and rightly so, but some of the replies are abusive, tactless and just plain rude.

Yes SL needs to be accountable for the decisions he's made, after all he's the custodian of our great club, and it's very unusual for a football club to still have a manager in place this long given the results over the past few months, and I think difficult questions need to be asked, but without abusing the guy.

We may find ourselves in a position where he decides to upsticks, pack it all in and flog us to the first foreign owner that comes along who decide to stick Malaysian flags all around the stadium (which incidentally he'd still own). Thats a good outcome by the way, alternatively he could just dwindle his interest in us and just let the club fall through the leagues with millions of debt whilst he looks for a buyer. 

We've got to realise we've pretty much got an owner with the perfect background, with him being local, a fan, and absolutely loaded.

Yes, let's criticise him, but let's do it constructively and without abuse, as no-one will hang around if their quality of life is destroyed.

I agree. And, for "SL" read also "LJ" and "fellow City fans". This really is becoming a pretty unpleasant place at the moment. And, before anyone asks, I know I can switch off. And this is only my second brief visit since Tuesday, and reading regular posters advocating pitch invasions and threats of violence only confirms why. And you're absolutely right, it's all so negative and lacking in accountability. It's dead easy to criticise, as has happened every year, with every manager we've had for years. And I suspect fans of Charlton and Forest would be staggered to read the abuse SL gets on here. You might not agree with what either SL or LJ are doing, and you might not agree with what other fans say, but that gives you no right to abuse them, no right to threaten them, and no right to advocate things "getting tasty". 

Being abusive towards anyone is not only unacceptable but against forum rules. 

There are far better ways to make a point rather that by using insults and abuse.

Thats just amatuer in my book and reflects limited cognitive ability.

I agree with @italian dave it's too much.

Steve Lansdown and Lee Johnson both desperately want this club to be successful and have far more invested in that (and I don't just mean money) than any fan.

Whilst I want SL to act and LJ to be replaced I do not think that either of them wants anything but the best for the club. We just have a difference of opinion on how to achieve that.

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Nobody would buy the club if SL kept the stadium. 

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Were we in terrible trouble before he came? The millions spent on the wages and the debt accrued.....who is responsible ? 

Lots of clubs don't have SL. 91 of them in the top leagues. Many of them are doing fine. 

I'm just back from a trip to the supermarket. There was a mum and her young child in the aisle with the Easter eggs. He wanted one, she explained politely that it wasn't the right time and anyway she had the money and decided what to do with it.

He started to whine and moan but she stood her ground. Then came the crying, and as he saw he wasn't getting his way that developed into proper bawling and screaming. After a while he was rolling on the floor waving his fists around.

She told him that wouldn't get what he wanted, at which he started telling her that he hated her, and then started calling her names. Finally it got to the point that he started lashing out and hitting her.

Why did I keep thinking of OTIB??

Weird this.

I used to yearn for this sort of owner when we had Des and Les, but apart from the ground, how exactly were we any worse off?

They were prepared to appoint proper football managers like Joe Jordan and Denis Smith (one worked, one didn't, that's football) and just let them get on with it.

In every aspect other than the new ground then we were really no worse off at all..

Just now, italian dave said:

I'm just back from a trip to the supermarket. There was a mum and her young child in the aisle with the Easter eggs. He wanted one, she explained politely that it wasn't the right time and anyway she had the money and decided what to do with it.

He started to whine and moan but she stood her ground. Then came the crying, and as he saw he wasn't getting his way that developed into proper bawling and screaming. After a while he was rolling on the floor waving his fists around.

She told him that wouldn't get what he wanted, at which he started telling her that he hated her, and then started calling her names. Finally it got to the point that he started lashing out and hitting her.

Why did I keep thinking of OTIB??

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I agree with @italian dave it's too much.

Steve Lansdown and Lee Johnson both desperately want this club to be successful and have far more invested in that (and I don't just mean money) than any fan.

Whilst I want SL to act and LJ to be replaced I do not think that either of them wants anything but the best for the club. We just have a difference of opinion on how to achieve that.

Pretty much sums up how I feel, I want them all replaced, but then I think be careful what you wish for.

Archived