IGNORED

Is Johnson improving?

GJS

Difficult one for sure. The league table doesn't lie.

However, I think he has some serious issues in the dressing room. I keep reading between the lines in his interviews. He is young. Maybe he lacks the maturity to deal with those issues. He will learn from them.   

Maybe he was consistently underminded by people. Very difficult to do your job in that position.

I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe JP leaving right or wrong will produce a change. It needs to be positive one. After a tough week we have bounced back. 

If he keeps us up and starts well next season I would like to think he will earn the right for us to back him.

Most of our signings were young gambles. They will all have experienced a season in the Championship.  That surely will help next season.  

We have good bones. We just need more commitment from some of our players and a more mature approach from management.  

I don't honestly think this team is too far off being a good team.  Maybe this group will survive and collectively grow up after this.

Steve

17 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

His net spend is no larger than that of other managers we've had.

Yeah of course excuse no.5 just write it all off to net spend and conveniently ignore the fact that much of the Kodjia money that gave him that net spend surplus has been wasted on players who cannot get a game and players who we are unlikely to see our money back on (before you quote excuse no.6 I speak not of the players of the future, time will judge then).

We may never have that opportunity again and yet again it has shown another misgiving about LJ's judgement.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yeah of course excuse no.5 just write it all off to net spend and conveniently ignore the fact that much of the Kodjia money that gave him that net spend surplus has been wasted on players who cannot get a game and players who we are unlikely to see our money back on (before you quote excuse no.6 I speak not of the players of the future, time will judge then).

We may never have that opportunity again and yet again it has shown another misgiving about LJ's judgement.

You can rant at me all you want but it's my opinion. It's not an excuse, it's stating a fact. We spent a lot of money but for me, that was balanced out by him losing his best player. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything, even the best managers aren't consistent in the transfer market. But there's no signings that I think are duds (Engvall is the closest but I think he can still have a role to play in future seasons, if not it was a gamble). Just like Kodjia himself was when he signed.

LJ has not done a great job this season but I can understand why SL has kept faith in him and I believe he still has potential as a manager.

Of course he's improving through learning on the job. 

Lets not forget he had zero SBC experience before hand and this season is a completely new level of management for him. It's natural he'll make mistakes and he's made plenty thus far. 

Personally I think he was offered the job prematurely but he's in post so hey-ho......

I've criticised LJ and wanted him gone long ago but I can't deny that today , he played a blinder . Little played a blinder too and actually looked slimmer and fitter after his lay off . Patterson ran his socks off and was excellent plus the subs made were all spot on . We've lost two out of seven , winning three and drawing two . Have to agree that that's an improvement ! 

55 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He said after the game 'of course I don't know my best side'. Amazing comment. But we all know that's the case so at least he's honest. I don't think he's ever going to improve enough to be a good manager at this level. 

I'm no fan of his but how could he know his best 11 when the players are Jekyll and Hyde? 

54 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

What part from February to October was average? Turning a side fighting for relegation into one that consistently won and were in the PO's? He's W23 L29 with us. Seems a pretty standard record for City in the Championship to me, and he's a young coach that I'm sure will learn from the experience he's garnered this season.

What did he learn from last season 

7 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

You can rant at me all you want but it's my opinion. It's not an excuse, it's stating a fact. We spent a lot of money but for me, that was balanced out by him losing his best player. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything, even the best managers aren't consistent in the transfer market. But there's no signings that I think are duds (Engvall is the closest but I think he can still have a role to play in future seasons, if not it was a gamble). Just like Kodjia himself was when he signed.

LJ has not done a great job this season but I can understand why SL has kept faith in him and I believe he still has potential as a manager.

Tbf that isn't a bad post - different views are what forums are for, fair play 

28 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I am not ranting at you but you are incredibly rude, you have called me ignorant for no reason whatsoever.

Engvall, Hegeler, Tomlin and the jury is firmly out on Patterson I would say and that is my opinion.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am not ranting at you but you are incredibly rude, you have called me ignorant for no reason whatsoever.

Engvall, Hegeler, Tomlin and the jury is firmly out on Patterson I would say and that is my opinion.

Please don't tell me you're talking about the post from that thread earlier? Because if you are, you've taken the post and the use of the word ignorant completely out of context. I certainly wasn't rude and my use of the word wasn't for 'no reason'. What an odd thing to say.

I wouldn't say any of the three are duds, they've all shown glimpses of their quality. Tomlin's hasn't done enough this season though, he's said as much himself. Very much a confidence player.

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

His net spend is no larger than that of other managers we've had.

Let's not pretend he found and nurtured Kodjia. Then he might get some credit. 

It's akin to counting £1,000,000 you've just found on the street against your balance sheet and saying you've therefore got a profitable business. Fluke on his part. 

Hes spanked money like no other has ever been allowed. 

I'd hope he was improving. He's staying so that's the best we can hope for. The two losses were bad but I can write them off because the league is that competitive. It can be done to almost anyone at any time. We've been much better since February for the most part. Hopefully it continues for the remainder of the season. No one is a finished product ever. There is always something to improve. LJ is a novice compared to most managers in the league. Now should he have been appointed? Probably not but all we can hope is he gets to the level of some. 

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Let's not pretend he found and nurtured Kodjia. Then he might get some credit. 

It's akin to counting £1,000,000 you've just found on the street against your balance sheet and saying you've therefore got a profitable business. Fluke on his part. 

Hes spanked money like no other has ever been allowed. 

But he did convince Tammy to come to us, and there were other teams in the frame. If Tammy hadn't come to us we would have been in the **** long ago

29 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Please don't tell me you're talking about the post from that thread earlier? Because if you are, you've taken the post and the use of the word ignorant completely out of context. I certainly wasn't rude and my use of the word wasn't for 'no reason'. What an odd thing to say.

I wouldn't say any of the three are duds, they've all shown glimpses of their quality. Tomlin's hasn't done enough this season though, he's said as much himself. Very much a confidence player.

Excuse no. 7 comments taken out of context, you are on form tonight.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just looking for a row 

Oh sorry , I forgot , he's being 'positive and just enjoying the win '

Ha. And yet you've conveniently ignored the posters that aren't me in that thread asking you what 'digs' I was supposedly making to instigate this. You're the one looking for a row. It's the same old names, as predicted. I've finally decided to block you now as you just act like a very bitter person and don't seem to be happy, even when City win. Just come on here looking for arguments every day. Cheerio.

3 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Ha. And yet you've conveniently ignored the posters that aren't me in that thread asking you what 'digs' I was supposedly making to instigate this. You're the one looking for a row. It's the same old names, as predicted. I've finally decided to block you now as you just act like a very bitter person and don't seem to be happy, even when City win. Just come on here looking for arguments every day. Cheerio.

Good luck in chasing that argument :thumbsup:

At least you have dropped the 'JK sold from under Lees feet & SL is a liar'. posting / myth created by yourself

The biggest problem I have with him is he picks out individuals for criticism and today his "I had to pick players I can trust" if you were a player not picked today then plain and simple the manager doesn't trust you. How would that make you feel as can player?. He simply had no need to make that comment.

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

I posted on here the other night, he's not the worst manager in history as some think. He did brilliantly from February to October and from October to recently, LJ struggled. I'd say his actual ability is somewhere between the two but as a very inexperienced coach will constantly be learning and will certainly have learned a lot from that run of results, I'm sure. It's his first full season as a Championship manager, he's bound to be.

This season we won 6 of our first 11 games. Today we achieved victory number 6, from 30 matches. 

Johnson is very lucky to still be Head Coach.

2 hours ago, GJS said:

Results have improved greatly from  our horrific run earlier in the season.

my question is does anyone think LJ has learned from his mistakes?

My personal opinion is he definitely has. Keeping the same back four has paid off in the recent weeks.

It looks like he will be in charge next season. Will be do better next season if he learns from this season?

Maybe. First full season at this level, started very well. He obviously had a massive dip but is finishing well, no matter how much the haters don't like to admit it. I'd give him till Christmas and see what happens. 

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not as odd as you looking at the lack of likes to your posts and views, but hey i'm sure you are right.

I genuinely have no idea what you're even suggesting. :laugh:

Whatever it is, it isn't as odd as pretending to be insulted and then when it being pointed out otherwise, claiming it was excuses. Grow up.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Of course he's improving through learning on the job. 

Lets not forget he had zero SBC experience before hand and this season is a completely new level of management for him. It's natural he'll make mistakes and he's made plenty thus far. 

Personally I think he was offered the job prematurely but he's in post so hey-ho......

It's not hard to improve after losing his last game 5-0, it's also not hard to improve after losing 8 games in a row. 

Do I think he's improving, no.

Archived