IGNORED

Is Johnson improving?

GJS

The won't be shifted on my opinion about LJ ...no matter what element... is getting a bit cringeworthy to be honest. At least those of a more reasonable disposition can accept that things have improved somewhat, just thinking that three wins out of five is not a bad return and despite that rare hammering Tuesday, we are still one goal to the good. I was pi$$ed off especially after the no show Villa performance, and vented on here, but I do see a change in things, in a good way.

However it does take a bit of Humble Pie, fancy a slice anyone?

3 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I've not defended our performance over the season. It's been a poor season for all involved but the important thing is we stay up, and we've improved recently and look to have recovered from the horrendous run of form we were on from October to March. You feel sorry for the man but he'd share similar sentiments to myself so not sure what your point is, hence why he's remained loyal to LJ when 99% of owners would have pulled the trigger.

One minute you say LJ has improved and the next you say 99% of owners would have sacked him. Totally lost me with your logic I'm sorry. The point seems lost at your end not mine.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

One minute you say LJ has improved and the next you say 99% of owners would have sacked him. Totally lost me with your logic I'm sorry. The point seems lost at your end not mine.

Not really. LJ himself would be aware that 99% of owners would have got rid after the run of form we went through, it's the nature of football. I'm sure he appreciates SL greatly for remaining loyal and we have improved recently. They're two completely different points. I don't know what you're getting at, to be honest.

Just now, JHAGa said:

Not really. LJ himself would be aware that 99% of owners would have got rid after the run of form we went through, it's the nature of football. I'm sure he appreciates SL greatly for remaining loyal and we have improved recently. They're two completely different points. I don't know what you're getting at.

I give up

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes I'm a Rotherham fan because 'BS4' is obviously a Rotherham postcode...perhaps I'm just able to realise that the poster who originally said we were at 'rock bottom' under LJ didn't mean it literally and wasn't referring to our position in the table...you jumped in to tell that poster we had 'never been rock bottom under LJ' so I just supported that poster with many facts which backed up a 'rock bottom' description - and your two intellectual responses were to say I was in danger of 'having a breakdown' and then asking me if I was 'a Rotherham fan on the wrong forum' - you don't like people disagreeing with you do you?

But both of you are factually incorrect. 

I really do not need to describe what rock bottom means. 

Yes it was shite but luckily we had some results in the bag which enabled us to avoid being 'rock bottom '

19 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry Tone but it looks like your just picking here, everyone knows LJ is extremely lucky to still be in a job, every other owner in the FL would have replaced LJ. 

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Sorry Tone but it looks like your just picking here, everyone knows LJ is extremely lucky to still be in a job, every other owner in the FL would have replaced LJ. 

I agree 100% but that isn't what was being said if you read the posts. It was being intimated that LJ had improved.  Quite simply he hasn't.

35 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

The won't be shifted on my opinion about LJ ...no matter what element... is getting a bit cringeworthy to be honest. At least those of a more reasonable disposition can accept that things have improved somewhat, just thinking that three wins out of five is not a bad return and despite that rare hammering Tuesday, we are still one goal to the good. I was pi$$ed off especially after the no show Villa performance, and vented on here, but I do see a change in things, in a good way.

Humble for what? A decent yet unspectacular 2 goal win against a team with their bags packed ready for their holidays but off the back of two absolutely god awful defeats, one of which was so hideous that the players felt the need to refund the City faithful who made the trip? Na, I'll leave the pie thanks.  

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I agree 100% but that isn't what was being said if you read the posts. It was being intimated that LJ had improved.  Quite simply he hasn't.

2 defeats in 7 is a vast improvement on earlier form, as LJ seems to be the fall guy when we lose then surely by the same token he takes the credit when we win? 

Something has improved recently and I don't care if that's LJ or the players. Just happy we are putting points on the board.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

2 defeats in 7 is a vast improvement on earlier form, as LJ seems to be the fall guy when we lose then surely by the same token he takes the credit when we win? 

Something has improved recently and I don't care if that's LJ or the players. Just happy we are putting points on the board.

I agree that this weekend was brilliant.  But to say that LJ has improved after a 2-0 loss at Brentford and the classic 5 - 0 at Preston is stretching things a tad. The lad is out of his depth and that is being kind. We frankly should not be in as much poop as we are with the squad we have.  I will ask the question again..... how many times have we played the same team this season ? The fact that we cannot play a settled team has been our problem ................. not DNA ................... simply nothing else.

Every week in and out it is a different team and hardly surprising we are in the poop we are.

48 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Probably because every other owner in the FL hasn't got a head coach who just happens to be their sons best mate!!

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

But both of you are factually incorrect...

We weren't factually incorrect, you cannot argue that anything I said is incorrect - e.g. the record number of consecutive defeats in our history, LJ saying he is 'going back to the drawing board' in April, paying huge amounts of money for lots of players he doesn't even play, throwing away two and three goal leads....

And when did we last have banners displayed around Bristol calling for a Head Coach to be sacked?

Anyway, I give up....enjoy the rest of your Sunday...

16 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

If believing that mistruths have little place in any debate makes me an "LJ supporter", so be it.

Don't really understand what you mean by that.

9 hours ago, JHAGa said:

They were, and the team and management rightfully received criticism for those games. Wasn't a bad response to those results yesterday though, eh? Those two games don't hide the fact that we've shown great improvements recently. Which shows character from all involved when we were at such a low point. Not easy to get out of, but we've been doing a good job of it up til now.

9 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

My question, for anybody who equate better recent results with an "improvement" in Johnson, continues to be.

What leadership qualities and man management skills has he shown?

None IMO, including recently, and is the sole reason why IMO it was a ridiculous appointment and will continue to be so.

LJ told us when he arrived that he was a Marmite player at City.

His little charade at the end of the game, proved conclusively that he knows now that he's as popular as rat poison at City.

He came on the pitch and spent several minutes hugging the players, who were doing a lap around the pitch to applaud the fans. At no stage did he go anywhere near the crowd or even acknowledge them.

A shallow person and a poor coach.

Jesus wept. Is he getting better? 5-0 a few days ago. And we just beat a team with nothing to play for. My mate is a Wolves fan and I asked him if I thought they would beat us: No chance, he said. “Nothing to play for so the lazy ass fu**w*ts won’t turn up. Typical Wolves behaviour.” LJ can’t get worse, although I must admit his interview sounded a little bit more honest after this game. The thing is, we are stuck with him as we won’t go down now. Not from us saving our necks, but from Blackburn failing to take the opportunity to punish us. And I think next season LJ will do better, but more from other factors than his own merit. At Barnsley, injuries reduced his squad and forced him to play a more settled team with two up front from simply having less to pick from. I think this will happen next season as many players will either leave or be shown the door (post match he hinted about too many personalities, trimming it down, a stronger underbelly now etc), plus our club won’t have such a “pull” to other players as word will have gotten round. Gon, tomlin, Jens, (ie those who have played at a higher level than LJ and probably don’t respect him) all the loans, Tammy, wilbs (retire/coach,) and a few others will be gone. That will leave us with a smaller team of younger players, most of which are “hungry” – it is these players that appear more willing to do the pressing that has served us well, especially when on the wings to protect our vulnerable fullbacks. Djuric and Taylor may actually get time together to form a partnership, a big man small man duo, one that could work very well. LJ may be forced into picking more of a settled team. This is the only possible light I can see at the end of the tunnel.

Looking at the big picture. He has improved yes. Post the 8 game losing streak he has improved. Or we have improved point is results have got better and some performances have too. A basic extrapolation of 2 win in 14 from Blackburn at home to the loss at Forest shows a major improvement...we yielded 7 points from that awful run.

On the other hand, since then we have drawn v Sheff Wed, won a 6 pointer at Wigan, and got comfortable home wins v Huddersfield and Wolves. To say nothing of the first half displays at Newcastle and Derby- the first especially a good result, the 2nd two points dropped. 17 points from the 14 a major improvement.

Whether he's the man to take us forward though I highly doubt. But if you split the last 28 League games into 2 halves, we gained 10 more points in this 14 game period than the one which preceded it.

@NickJ We also hit the bar v Burton (Tomlin as I recall), Tomlin missed a pen. Not saying we were great but we should have won that day.

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

Don't really understand what you mean by that.

My question, for anybody who equate better recent results with an "improvement" in Johnson, continues to be.

What leadership qualities and man management skills has he shown?

None IMO, including recently, and is the sole reason why IMO it was a ridiculous appointment and will continue to be so.

I don't see the dressing room so I'm not privy to his man management skills. I think in terms of leadership, he's done a good job beginning to turn things around recently after we were at such a low point. Hopefully SL's loyalty will be repaid. And before someone says 'he was responsible for the low point', I agree LJ shares responsibility for it, I've not defended that run and have never said it hasn't been a poor season. However, I am happy to see LJ and the team making progress in recent weeks and the players/staff need to keep fighting as they have done to secure safety. I'm still hopeful for the future if we stay up.

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A shallow person and a poor coach.

A poor coach maybe, but when I went up to see them play Fleetwood earlier in the season, he looked at me, smiled and gave me a good thumbs up. I wouldnt call him shallow, but he certainly aint in the deep end either. That was before the game as well.

14 hours ago, PolskRed said:

Maybe @Benjam!n Ultra and @Ivorguy could answer this? After all they were quite(!!!) vocal in the demand for LJ's demise?? Personally I am chuffed to bits for City and LJ after all the shit he had to tolerate. Happy days...;)

He's apparently improving though I need the whole season, I imagine, to see those improvements confirmed for myself. He needs to get to mid table for me given the money he's spent. I still think we'll finish bottom half mind you and I like that LJ yesterday tried to settle everyone down - judging by some posts on here, social media etc. I think there'll be some disappointed people come Christmas as we no longer look destined for the play offs and I say that in defence of LJ. 

I would love to be proved wrong in the long run, my opinion remains that I probably won't be and I won't be rubbing anyone's nose in it if I am as I'll be disappointed and angry. 

So far it feels like a carbon copy of last season, the cold weather worries me as the players went missing during that spell last season. I'll be intrigued when (not negative, everyone does in this league at some point) we lose two on the bounce, I think then we'll see whether he's learnt from previous mishaps. 

Summary: very happy with the start, performances v Brentford, Birmingham and Millwall means I'm not getting carried away - though those were hopefully "growing pains" with the new members setting in. 

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Summary: very happy with the start, performances v Brentford, Birmingham and Millwall means I'm not getting carried away - though those were hopefully "growing pains" with the new members setting in. 

I think Johnson was still in "keep the same XI" mode in that initial run of games whilst out game is based on high energy.

Since the international break he's switched to using the squad depth to keep a consistent team with 2 or 3 changes to keep things fresh (allied with good use of subs) and we are seeing the benefit in terms of less shots on target faced. 

Archived