IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham another year ?

foghornred

I see that Wilbraham has now played 28 games this season and last season it was said that in his contract it says that if he plays 30 games he triggers another year on his contract, so two more substitute appearances and he is here next season. Without Tammy we may need him unless we sign one or two more forwards.  

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

One of the best free transfers in recent times but IMO it's time for both parties to go their own ways?

He has seemed pretty vocal on the subs bench recently , coaching role? 

Yep agree with this . Hope he stays with the club in some capacity. But not as a player 

TBH it's a no for me. 

Teddy Sheringham might have kept going until he was 40, but I don't think Wilbs - great bloke that he is - is in his league. Father Time is catching up and when he does he comes on bloody fast. Just look at David James!

Nice to think we can retain him, but I think it's sentiment talking if we do.

As many have said, when he comes on, he occupies defenders an thus is useful to create space and opportunities for colleagues. I know not about how the other players regard him; as a knowledgeable, streetwise,father figure or otherwise?

My big concern if he stays as a player, is that his place on the bench could be blocking the career development of an Academy boy. I would hope that should we stay up, that next season is not spent fighting relegation yet again but building some solid foundations for the future.

Alternatively, if Wilbs stays as a non player on the coaching staff, he will be yet another "rookie coach" when it us clear to me that we need a more experienced coach to help and advise all the newbies! Otherwise we just become a Coaching Academy without any teachers.

7 hours ago, foghornred said:

I see that Wilbraham has now played 28 games this season and last season it was said that in his contract it says that if he plays 30 games he triggers another year on his contract, so two more substitute appearances and he is here next season. Without Tammy we may need him unless we sign one or two more forwards.  

Time to move on,great attitude,top bloke but had ees day..with Tammy leaving(and Wilbs)MA has the nice problem of finding us twenty goals from somewhere-and twenty Championship goals at that should we stay up.

Not too sure about 'jobs for the boys'(coaching role)as some suggest-we have enough of that going on already!

I heard ibrahimovic refer to himself as Benjamin Button and immediately thought of Wilbs. :).

I think Cameos replacing Djuric next season is possible, the long period he had without playing is paying dividends.

Surprised at the calls for him to go into the coaching staff though, doesn't that count as "jobs for the boys" :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Time to move on,great attitude,top bloke but had ees day..with Tammy leaving(and Wilbs)MA has the nice problem of finding us twenty goals from somewhere-and twenty Championship goals at that should we stay up.

Not too sure about 'jobs for the boys'(coaching role)as some suggest-we have enough of that going on already!

Great minds Robert... .       :)

I think he should go at the end of the season and expect that he will.

No one rates him higher than me, he has been one of our best free transfers ever and his professionalism and integrity are obvious.

However we will be 38 in October and bar a month recently where bizarrely LJ suddenly began to pick him from the start for every game, he has been a bit part player now for quite some while.

Also if I have understood the situation correctly, his wife and daughter have remained living in the North West for the whole time he has been with us, so as not to interrupt her schooling. I can easily see him lining up next season in League One for a Greater Manchester side like Oldham, Bury or Rochdale, therefore.

The domestic issue also makes the likelihood of any move into coaching in the South West a very remote one.

I think Djuric was bought to eventually replace him and whilst I totally accept the argument that he can still do a valuable 15-20 minutes for us and he looks in great shape, we both need to move on this summer.

Will always love the bloke though.

It's a reserved Yes from me, he still has a brilliant attitude, works very hard, still knows where the net is, great flicks etc and critically opposition defenders still do a good deal of pointing, adjusting and marking him closely when he comes on so they see him very much as a threat.  Also younger and first team strikers can learn a lot from him.

I do wonder as said elsewhere however about sentiment kicking in.  To continue to use him as bench player could be seen as blocking another younger player.

Coaching role ? I would be happy with that, being an SC appointment it's hardly jobs for the boys.

When SC gets another job mind Wilbs could be a target for him perhaps.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Think he's been better this season than last since he's been given more rests between games. At his age his wages won't be the highest so I'd definitely give him another year, thoroughly deserved.

Will he want to stay in the area though if his family are not here?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I think he should go at the end of the season and expect that he will.

No one rates him higher than me, he has been one of our best free transfers ever and his professionalism and integrity are obvious.

However we will be 38 in October and bar a month recently where bizarrely LJ suddenly began to pick him from the start for every game, he has been a bit part player now for quite some while.

Also if I have understood the situation correctly, his wife and daughter have remained living in the North West for the whole time he has been with us, so as not to interrupt her schooling. I can easily see him lining up next season in League One for a Greater Manchester side like Oldham, Bury or Rochdale, therefore.

The domestic issue also makes the likelihood of any move into coaching in the South West a very remote one.

I think Djuric was bought to eventually replace him and whilst I totally accept the argument that he can still do a valuable 15-20 minutes for us and he looks in great shape, we both need to move on this summer.

Will always love the bloke though.

Agree with this.

Ideally a decision would be made before the last game of the season. If Wilbs is going; it would give us the chance to give him (and Tammy, of course), the send off he deserves.

9 hours ago, foghornred said:

I thought that applied to his contract at the end of last season ie at the end of May/July 2016, his optional one year was triggered either by himself or the club. The way I understand it now, come May/July 2017, he'll be ooc.

I'd like him to stay as a coach/club ambassador but with all the hip injections under a general anaesthetic every couple of months, coupled with his Mrs and family being up north, I can't see him being a full time player with us. Would expect him to join someone like Rochdale, Bury or Oldham. Can still keep his feet in the game but be much closer to his family.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Will he want to stay in the area though if his family are not here?

No, I think that's the killer thing here. Fully expect him to bow out gracefully with his head still high rather than be living away from his family and having less and less appearances. If his family had been here I would think he would have had a great coache for the youngsters. He will probably go on to do that somewhere local to his family, but not with us I don't think.

Wibs has been a cracking player for City.

You would think he was born in Bristol.

But come on - he will surely be too old next season, at this level?

I'd give him a testimonial, and let him play on elsewhere, and I'm sure he can do a job in L1.

We need to spend on a proven Championship goalscorer / target man. If we lose Tammy (obvious) and don't get quality in, we will be in the same position next year.

FFS we have the money from Kodjia and the Bolasie money: spend it.

tfj

For the sort of money he'll be demanding, i.e peanuts, give him a crack and get him doing his coaching badges. He's clearly a respected, intelligent character (not something you'd immediately level at Jamie McAllister when he was here as a player) and having him around the place can only be a good thing in whatever role.

Considering his age, he's also scored some important goals this season and even if his minutes will be limited next season, he can do a job off the bench as and when.

16 hours ago, foghornred said:

Great signing and a model for young players but if we are still reliant on him at his age then something is wrong. 

Archived