IGNORED

Staying up

ollywhyte

This time next week we could confirm our championship status, win vs QPR with Blackburn losing away to Forest. Win at Ewood would keep us up! On the other hand we could be 2 points away from safety!! Defining week that will say a lot about LJ and his players. Who would have thought we could stay up with 3 games to go, quite feasible and we need to make sure we are up for it!

9 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

This time next week we could confirm our championship status, win vs QPR with Blackburn losing away to Forest. Win at Ewood would keep us up! On the other hand we could be 2 points away from safety!! Defining week that will say a lot about LJ and his players. Who would have thought we could stay up with 3 games to go, quite feasible and we need to make sure we are up for it!

It's possible. I honestly think Blackburn will indeed get relegated, but wouldn't it be nice if we did it to them? Can't remember the last time we relegated another team...

14 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

It's possible. I honestly think Blackburn will indeed get relegated, but wouldn't it be nice if we did it to them? Can't remember the last time we relegated another team...

Was thinking this myself.

I think it may have been Brentford around '93, '94 ?

A crazy game with loads of chances either end, Leroy Rosenior was still up front for us. Brentford took their full allocation at the Park End. They needed to win to stay up, but they didn't !

With regard to Blackburn; no axe to grind with them, but would love to send those Venky idiots down to L1 - no more than they deserve !!

12 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

City relegated Stevenage to League 2 at their ground in 2014. Not a biggy but do remember that one 

16 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

QPR are no mugs, I think we will draw our next two games and Forest will beat Blackburn which will leave us 5 clear with at least 9 better goal difference so in truth it would leave us 6 points clear with 9 to play for.

QPR are a whopping two - two - wins better than us this season; this omnishambles of a season. Same goal difference, just two more wins. There is a bigger gap between us and Wigan, than us and QPR.

Which makes us two wins shy of being "no mugs" then! 

Did we send Coventry down during our last stint in the Championship?

For what its worth i don't get any satisfaction out it and i never join in the 'going down' chants. Being relegated is horrible, and the fans of said team know it. There's no hiding from it and all of us have been through it. It strikes me as just too mercenary,a bit like chant 'going bust' at a club, i just don't like it.

In the 2011/12 season, second game from last, had we and Barnsley lost and Coventry actually won, Coventry could've stayed up providing we lost our last game and they won theirs. So I guess INDIRECTLY of course, we and Barnsely doomed Coventrys fate by winning our respective games instead... However doesnt help much as Coventry lost that game anyway vs Doncaster.

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

QPR are a whopping two - two - wins better than us this season; this omnishambles of a season. Same goal difference, just two more wins. There is a bigger gap between us and Wigan, than us and QPR.

Which makes us two wins shy of being "no mugs" then! 

Maybe I didnt come across clearly enough "sigh", last 10 games in the form table I should have said. QPR are 8th (we are 16th), I think 8th falls under the "No Mugs" category. 

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

Maybe I didnt come across clearly enough "sigh", last 10 games in the form table I should have said. QPR are 8th (we are 16th), I think 8th falls under the "No Mugs" category. 

No mugs, but no great shakes, either then. 

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Did we send Swindon down one year?

Well, they got their own back by winning the league at their place against us the other year....

I know some lads who support Blackburn, the situation outlined by the OP would be lovely!

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

No mugs, but no great shakes, either then. 

true. They can relax, plus Holloway always like to beat us (understandably so) and Freeman might up his game some what. Not bigging them up at all, but I dont expect us to turn up and turn them over as easily as some expect. I might just be a pessimist. 

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Did we send Coventry down during our last stint in the Championship?

For what its worth i don't get any satisfaction out it and i never join in the 'going down' chants. Being relegated is horrible, and the fans of said team know it. There's no hiding from it and all of us have been through it. It strikes me as just too mercenary,a bit like chant 'going bust' at a club, i just don't like it.

not even the horsepunchers?

6 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

not even the horsepunchers?

I was thinking of adding an 'except.....'

But I hate even talking about them.

For me, not playing them in the league is my biggest driver for staying up. If they were still in Div 4 or worse, I honestly don't think it would seem as bad!

3 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

Footballs a cruel game . Please let it be us!!!

3 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

I remember us sending Doncaster down in about 88 with a iffy goal , can't remember who but Colin rings a bell,hand balled it before scoring, city then made the play offs.

the good old days

Just now, B block said:

I remember us sending Doncaster down in about 88 with a iffy goal , can't remember who but Colin rings a bell,hand balled it before scoring, city then made the play offs.

the good old days

Colin Gordon, think he missed an earlier pen, very tense

We then, as stated above relegated Sheffield united in the play offs 

1 minute ago, B block said:

the good old days

Colin Gordon. I think Donny might have been down by then though and played a team of youngsters including IIRC a sixteen year old Brian Deane.

Archived