IGNORED

Still on a knife edge.....

Tinmans Love Child

So 4 points clear of Blackburn with 15 up for grabs, couple of scenarios:

Best- we beat QPR and Blackburn lose, we are 7 points clear of Blackburn, meaning we beat them and we are safe.

Worst- we lose to QPR and Blackburn win, we are 1 point ahead and then Blackburn beat us putting us in bottom 3 with 3 games to go

Middle- we match Blackburns result on Friday then play them safe in the knowledge that whatever the result we are at least 1 point ahead with 3 to play meaning we still only need to match their results at worse to stay up

Any of these scenarios are possible obviously, but it shows how fine the margins are still.  The QPR game is massive for us I think but I'm confident we can win it as home form has improved a lot

I agree. A lot of optimism on the forum and almost a sense of relief and expectation of survival but there's no doubt we are still 'on the ropes'. 

What we do have is more than one bite of the cherry by being 4 pts clear. 

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

So 4 points clear of Blackburn with 15 up for grabs, couple of scenarios:

Best- we beat QPR and Blackburn lose, we are 7 points clear of Blackburn, meaning we beat them and we are safe.

Worst- we lose to QPR and Blackburn win, we are 1 point ahead and then Blackburn beat us putting us in bottom 3 with 3 games to go

Middle- we match Blackburns result on Friday then play them safe in the knowledge that whatever the result we are at least 1 point ahead with 3 to play meaning we still only need to match their results at worse to stay up

Any of these scenarios are possible obviously, but it shows how fine the margins are still.  The QPR game is massive for us I think but I'm confident we can win it as home form has improved a lot

If we go into the Blackburn game with either a 5 or 7 point gap on them (and Wigan/the dropzone), I'd be delighted to just draw with them and keep that going into Barnsley at home - I'm not hugely confident in that happening, but I'd be delighted if we could avoid needing something going into the Brighton game.

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

If we go into the Blackburn game with either a 5 or 7 point gap on them (and Wigan/the dropzone), I'd be delighted to just draw with them and keep that going into Barnsley at home - I'm not hugely confident in that happening, but I'd be delighted if we could avoid needing something going into the Brighton game.

That doesn't bear thinking about.

The mood seems to change by the week on here, solely dependent on results (leaving aside longer term issues such as the manager's position).

That midweek before Huddersfield when Blackburn and Burton had good results in their games in hand had half the forum chucking the towel in, then we beat Huddersfield and other results went for us and suddenly we were probably staying up. Then the shambles of Brentford and Preston had us definitely going down again, before this weekend’s results have meant it's changed again for the better and many of the same people who had us virtually relegated last week are now talking about safety.

If we win the 2 Easter games we are guaranteed to be at least 7 points clear of Blackburn with only 3 games left. If Blackburn lose on Good Friday we'll be 10 clear so couldn't be caught. Given that Blackburn have lost their last 3 and their last win was 8 games ago (a 1-0 home win over Wigan) can't see them winning all their remaining games.

1 hour ago, BA14 RED said:

There is no doubt our home games favour us. Avoid defeat at Blackburn and win 1 home game should see us just about safe. Do not write us off at Brighton, they could already be up by then.

Brighton could be up yes. But I'm sure they'd still want to get promoted as champions.

29 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Try working it this way:

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator2.php

Pick the bottom half a dozen clubs and predict all the results for them. City will be ok.

But surely the whole reason we love this division is you simply can't predict the results, anyone who tried to predict the last 3 results for, say, Huddersfield, Burton or Newcastle results would have looked like a muppet by now.

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

But surely the whole reason we love this division is you simply can't predict the results, anyone who tried to predict the last 3 results for, say, Huddersfield, Burton or Newcastle results would have looked like a muppet by now.

That is true.......but it was aimed more at the moaners who are full of doom and gloom. Whichever way you guess the scores it doesnt look bad to me. 

Every twist and turn just gets magnified more and more the fewer games that are left. Our defeat at Brentford suddenly seemed ten times worse when Burton stuck in a 96 min winner at Huddersfield. Our win v Wolves felt so much bigger with Blackburn (to me) unexpectedly losing. Indeed since they conceded a 90 min equaliser at home to Preston, they have lost the last three.

Oddly the bookies have always favoured us. Before the last round, when in my mind it was 50/50, they had us at 3-1. Now it is a pretty big 9-1 to go down. As a City fan it does not feel that way!

Easter is clearly massive for us. We have a little leeway, but the reverse on Friday of the last round, with us losing and Brentford winning and it is back to three brown ones in our shorts time. Equally, just about possible by Monday night we are safe in the Championship. It is coming down to home form, where ours is I think better than most of those around us.

To use the cliche, just have to focus on our form, one game at a time.

It's still very much in the balance. We are so unpredictable. I felt confident after the Huddersfield game that we'd be ok, but then the Brentford and Preston games provided a reminder of how abject we can be. I'm worried about the Blackburn game, especially if results don't go our way next weekend and they are in a position to catch us. Plus our away form is terrible.

With a 4 point cushion my head says we should scrape through. My heart isn't certain at all.

This isn't just us and Blackburn.

Forest, Burton and Birmingham are all in the mix. There might be a significant chance that the 3rd slot team will begin with B?

I suspect after Monday, things will be a lot more clearer about how this is going to play out - I'm hopeful that it will be favourable for City.

Agree with bcfcfinker that although Blackburn appear to be team to stay above all sorts could still happen, unsurprisingly according to this article Blackburn's next two games (Forest and us) are 'must wins': http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-3667643.aspx

5 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Looking at it from BLACKBURNS point of view  they will be wanting bare minimum of 4 points from the easter games  v city and the florist , and actuaully need to win both there games to overtake  us due to our goal -dif

They are talking six points: http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-3667643.aspx

A word of warning.

Do you recall the gas beating Wycombe a couple of season ago thinking they were safe and celebrating like they won the FA cup, and than a week later!

Its not over till the fat lady sings and complacency could be our biggest enemy.

6 points from 5 games gets us to 50 points, which is a reasonable, if not definitive, guideline for safety. 3 of those games are at home against perfectly beatable sides.

It may not be certain by any means but if we're relegated we'll have put in the kind of show over the last 5 games that absolutely deserves it.

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Agree with bcfcfinker that although Blackburn appear to be team to stay above all sorts could still happen, unsurprisingly according to this article Blackburn's next two games (Forest and us) are 'must wins': http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-3667643.aspx

..... and in a head to head between a highly experienced Tony Mowbray and our  LJ, I know which one my money would be on to get their tactics right on the day.

This is going to be a really tough one.

Archived