IGNORED

EFL Statement - Checkatrade Trophy

Septic Peg

http://mobile.efl.com//news/article/2016/efl-statement-checkatrade-trophy-3670256.aspx

Statement asking clubs to vote on either...

1. A revised format with 16 invited teams 
  2. A format consisting of only L1/L2 teams
  3. Scrap the competition altogether.

Can't see no. 1 getting much support so fully expect no. 2 or 3 happening. 

Many slag it off, but I see nothing wrong with option 2 (i.e. The original set up).

Cleary the new way piloted this year was utter mince, but what's wrong with those league sides below championship level getting a dedicated cup?

Might be on my own, but have enjoyed our runs in the competition (sometimes it was the only good thing about being stuck in League One), and if it doesn't cause financial harm, I see no problem with it.

Just sack off the faux champions league format with groups and all that; knock out from round one.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

RE-vamp it the Micky Mouse (any self respecting lower league football club worth its salt and hasn't won it is a joke) Trophy Yes, Gas we're talking about you

Give them a chance, they've only been a league club two years.

Which was the original format please? We've had a straight knock out, pools of three with the top two progressing and pools of three with just the pool winners progressing.

I think the first few rounds actually cost the clubs money. Away team has to travel and possibly have an overnight stop. Home team has to use floodlights and pay police, stewards, gate staff etc. Perhaps play the first two or three rounds on Saturday afternoons, possibly pre season and start leagues 1 & 2 a few weeks later?

Scrap it now so we will be forever enshrined in its history as the club that won it the most times....and what a proud accolade that is!

Good grief, even the two finals we lost were to a current premier league outfit and the club that gloriously deprived Rovers of their league status and dumped them into the non-league abyss! We obviously knew what would happen 27 years later so thanked them in advance!

Still, we've never won The Watney Cup....

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Scrap it now so we will be forever enshrined in its history as the club that won it the most times....and what a proud accolade that is!

Good grief, even the two finals we lost were to a current premier league outfit and the club that gloriously deprived Rovers of their league status and dumped them into the non-league abyss! We obviously knew what would happen 27 years later so thanked them in advance!

http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/back-again-in-the-dhss/rod-hull-is-alive-why/

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Football fans of clubs above  League 1 and 2 have no idea who the holders are. I couldn't tell you even tho City won it recently.

Personally I dislike the Mickey Mouse cup and feel embaressed whenever we're in it.

Thought you did a good mini bus service , or was it a basement League play off game ....

I know it's been frowned upon this season, but I actually like the current set up, due to it helping youth.. 

I'm aware some fans of L1/L2 teams see it as an insult, but you couldn't tell me that you wouldn't want your U23 team playing competitive football against seasoned pros, just to help the standard of our own

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Semi finalists though, losing 4-1 to Stoke. 73-74ish. Who did we beat in the quarter finals?

For you young uns; The Watney Cup was introduced as a pre season tournament in 1970 or 71. The two top scoring teams in the four divisions who had not won promotion or qualified for Europe played a pre season tournament. The Div 4 teams were home to the Div 2 sides and the Div3 teams met the Div 1 teams. 1st round on a Saturday, 2nd round midweek and final the next Saturday. This meant replays were impossible, so to determine the winner of a drawn game, the penalty shoot out was dreamed up. The first year Colchester made it all the way to the final to play WBA at The Hawthorns. That game was drawn and so, televised live we saw how a shoot out works and, if you weren't involved was exciting.

Before the shoot outs, we had used replays for domestic cup games. In the European and UEFA Cups, if the scores were the same after two legs, a disc (not a coin) was tossed to determine which team progressed. 1957-58 Karl Marx Stadt (now Chemnitz) called "Heads" correctly after equal scores over two legs v Gwardia Warsaw.

70,000 for Oxford v Coventry and a higher number for our last final v Walsall tells you that the imbeciles that are suggesting scrapping it have no place running a fruit stall at a Women's Institute market, let alone a decent cup competition for lower league clubs. Or should the analogy be the other way around? One might argue. Either way I think you understand my point.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

70,000 for Oxford v Coventry and a higher number for our last final v Walsall tells you that the imbeciles that are suggesting scrapping it have no place running a fruit stall at a Women's Institute market, let alone a decent cup competition for lower league clubs. Or should the analogy be the other way around? One might argue. Either way I think you understand my point.

They should just have the final then because the other rounds don't produce decent gates . 

Seriously, every supporter dreams of seeing their club in a Wembley cup final including the casual followers .

Nobody much dreams about à first round Freight Daf Johnson's Checkatrade Trophy match against Plymouth .

10 hours ago, 22A said:

Semi finalists though, losing 4-1 to Stoke. 73-74ish. Who did we beat in the quarter finals?

For you young uns; The Watney Cup was introduced as a pre season tournament in 1970 or 71. The two top scoring teams in the four divisions who had not won promotion or qualified for Europe played a pre season tournament. The Div 4 teams were home to the Div 2 sides and the Div3 teams met the Div 1 teams. 1st round on a Saturday, 2nd round midweek and final the next Saturday. This meant replays were impossible, so to determine the winner of a drawn game, the penalty shoot out was dreamed up. The first year Colchester made it all the way to the final to play WBA at The Hawthorns. That game was drawn and so, televised live we saw how a shoot out works and, if you weren't involved was exciting.

Before the shoot outs, we had used replays for domestic cup games. In the European and UEFA Cups, if the scores were the same after two legs, a disc (not a coin) was tossed to determine which team progressed. 1957-58 Karl Marx Stadt (now Chemnitz) called "Heads" correctly after equal scores over two legs v Gwardia Warsaw.

First game I ever saw was a Watney Cup game, Fulham v Derby.

22 hours ago, mundz18 said:

I know it's been frowned upon this season, but I actually like the current set up, due to it helping youth.. 

I'm aware some fans of L1/L2 teams see it as an insult, but you couldn't tell me that you wouldn't want your U23 team playing competitive football against seasoned pros, just to help the standard of our own

The irony was that it helped youth players from prem sides but the L1 and L2 sides were unable to pitch many youth players due to the ruling about minimal changes from last league game

Archived