IGNORED

Best Tannoy Announcement Ever

Slack Bladder

Early 90s the matchday announcer on the pitch with the Chief Executive of the company about to become our new shirt sponsors.  "I have great pleasure in welcoming the CE of our brand new shirt sponsor, "Autoglass!".  The actual sponsors were Auto Windscreen, Autoglass were their deadly rivals. Cue red faces and much backtracking.

7 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Havana, now thats stirring memories. My Granddad lived in Somerdale Ave, Knowle and used to pick up mum, dad and me and my brother on a sunday night and take us to the Lord Nelson in Cleeve. We sat in his Hillman Minx with a bottle of pop and straw and a bag of Smiths Crisps. Happy Days

Four of us went all the way from Taunton to Carlisle for an away game in a Hillman Minx. None of us were particularly svelte either.

Happy days.

I seem to recall some years ago, vs Sheffield Wednesday?, when, during a snow storm? - it is a somewhat vague memory - an announcement was made that, due to the inclement weather conditions, the last train back to Sheffield was now X hour, meaning that the Sheffield fans would have to leave before the final whistle.

Cue the chant of 'One Bed and Breakfast, there's only One Bed and Breakfast'  

Not football related, sorry.  I was living in Lewisham at the last set of rioting and as my commuter train pulled in (whilst looking down at the burning cars from the bridge above) the guard stated in the best clipped British accent I've heard "We are now pulling into Lewisham at the scheduled time, I would politely suggest any of those not wearing hoodies disembark at the next station, rather than this,  due to a civil disturbance."  Cap doffed to that man.

On one of my visits back to the UK from OZ in the early 80's, I remember watching city play liverpool when we had Joe Royle. An announcemeng came over that police had spotted pick pockets operating, it was quite amusing to see the synced hands in pockets by 100's of the fans close by. I think it was around 82/3, perhaps some-one could help my failing grey matter.

I was at a Champions League match at Stamford Bridge once (I know, I know... it was only because I got freebies back in the day and was curious to see how the other half live) and the announcer said "Here goes! Wish me luck!" before attempting to read out the Olympiacos team sheet.   

59 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was at a Champions League match at Stamford Bridge once (I know, I know... it was only because I got freebies back in the day and was curious to see how the other half live) and the announcer said "Here goes! Wish me luck!" before attempting to read out the Olympiacos team sheet.   

It was always interesting to hear at away matches who was wearing the number 10 shirt for us. Occasionally it would be Jack-ee-noff-ski.....

15 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

It was always interesting to hear at away matches who was wearing the number 10 shirt for us. Occasionally it would be Jack-ee-noff-ski.....

Didn't Fontaine get called "Fountain" or something in the play-off final?

3 hours ago, bpexile said:

On one of my visits back to the UK from OZ in the early 80's, I remember watching city play liverpool when we had Joe Royle. An announcemeng came over that police had spotted pick pockets operating, it was quite amusing to see the synced hands in pockets by 100's of the fans close by. I think it was around 82/3, perhaps some-one could help my failing grey matter.

Joe Royle left City on relegation in 1980.

We played Liverpool at home in Div. 1 on 15th March 1980 ( the next time was in the Cup in '94) losing 1-3.

If Royle didn't play in that match the previous Liverpool home match was on 16th December 1978, a 1-0 win.

And, yes, I remember the pickpockets announcement!

After that announcement went out I got into conversation with a steward in the lansdown concourse about how anyone could be that stupid. We were interrupted by a grey haired gentlemen who asked to be let out to sort out his car! To say he had a panicked look about him would be an understatement!! 

On 15/04/2017 at 10:05, BobBobSuperBob said:

Also read out Gary Flitcroft as 'Gary Flip Flop'

Always thought he was a clown but the blue few lapped it up - says it all really

Have a feeling he had a dramatic fall from grace a while after, if memory serves me right

Let's just say he is known to the National Crime Agency. Getting the push for insulting Junior was the least of his problems. 

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I remember the announcer at Stockport  (FA Cup game after beating Liverpool) introduced Leroy as 'Leroy Rozenwah'!

1 hour ago, Red Homer said:

I remember the announcer at Stockport  (FA Cup game after beating Liverpool) introduced Leroy as 'Leroy Rozenwah'!

Back in the early noughties when we had the pleasure of watching Arjan de Zeeuw in our back 4 (what a fine player he was), bearing in mind that his name was pronouned Arry Ann de Zoo, one fine away club announcer had a go at his name and came up with Ar Jan de zeeee uwee uwee uwee

Edit - late 90s. God where is my life going!

6 minutes ago, redsfan said:

Back in the early noughties when we had the pleasure of watching Arjan de Zeeuw in our back 4 (what a fine player he was), bearing in mind that his name was pronouned Arry Ann de Zoo, one fine away club announcer had a go at his name and came up with Ar Jan de zeeee uwee uwee uwee

Edit - late 90s. God where is my life going!

Was it you lot that had that Bulgarian (?) player that slagged off all the women in your fair town?

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Was it you lot that had that Bulgarian (?) player that slagged off all the women in your fair town?

Yeah ha ha! Georgi Hristov. You have a good memory. Our "star" striker in our 1 season in the sun.

To be fair, he wasn't far off the mark.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Joe Royle left City on relegation in 1980.

We played Liverpool at home in Div. 1 on 15th March 1980 ( the next time was in the Cup in '94) losing 1-3.

If Royle didn't play in that match the previous Liverpool home match was on 16th December 1978, a 1-0 win.

And, yes, I remember the pickpockets announcement!

Thanks for that Nogbad, at least I got the 80's bit sort of correct.

On 4/14/2017 at 19:09, Dollymarie said:

I was most confused how someone could have locked their car but still have the engine running? Like doesn't it go off when you either take the key out or walk away from the car (if it's keyless) 

I used to have a BMW... (I'd love to say it was my own - but was a company car!) But one of the features was that the engine cut out when you stopped. One occasion, me and a couple of friends went to Elstree Studios in London to be in the audience for 8 out of 10 cats. I drove. We parked, went to the studio. Halfway through the show, Jimmy Carr had something said in his ear - the recording of the show stopped and he said "Which **** in the audience owns a BMW reg *********, you left your engine running!"
I had to get up and leave the studio very red faced. So trust me - its easily done! 

Even more awkward telling this story cos it was me that read that out on Friday!

On 4/14/2017 at 19:06, Red_Wizard said:

The Mr Pete Boro announcement will go down as the greatest

This is a confession new to most people. That Peterborough game was one of my first as matchday DJ and on the PA ( I think it was the 2008/09 season). A call came through to reception saying that Mr Peter Barragh's wife had gone into labour and he needed to go home urgently. David Lloyd was on mic duty that night and was the one who made the announcement. It was only after the announcement that Dave and myself realised it was a prank.

The worst part was, turns out - the culprit was my brother (who sadly passed away in 2015). Im glad that Dave and the club saw the funny side! I was angry at my bro at the time for landing me in it - but looking back now, his sense of humour will live long in my memory from that night! 

Once on a night out, we drove to Bath n got the bus to Brizzle, go to the Bierkelker to watch Discharge, we knew we was drinking n staying, it felt like the safe option. So we parked in a car park, surrounded by homeless people. All the way we was on our way, my mate who drove was saying he think he didn't lock the door, I said not to worry all will be ok. Got to the gig we realised we was a month late, we went on the lash, I woke up facedown in chicken korma, next morning went to the car he left the keys in the car and his door was wide open, amazed that nothing was taken n the car was still there

Back in the 60s & 70s when the Boat Race started at 2.00pm on a Saturday, the result would be announced before kick off at AG. Did any other club do this? I can't remember the Grans National winner being announced.

I was at the Mem when Western Counties were playing the Springboks. The crowd was building up inside and more were queuing at the gate. The Tannoy announcer asked "Will everyone please move three inches to their left to make room for the latecomers". People looked round and saw they could move more than three inches and did so creating enough space for the latecomers.

14 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Haha, I remember that announcement well, filing out of the Enclosure clutching our little wooden milking stools, having just lost 2-1 to Arsenal. The 'Bristol Rovers nil' bit was just drowned out by joyous cheering and howls of laughter. 

Didn't we lose 0-2 to Arsenal? Which if correct is ridiculous because I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday but may have picked that memory out the stratosphere!

Archived