IGNORED

Coventry.

stephenkibby.

Sad I think there relegation today.

Since that famous day in the back of beyond they had the Cup win. (our 2/2)

But haven't finished in the top 8 in any division for 40 years. ( feel free to challenge that)

Imagine that, no promotions just the three relegations in that time.

A Proud club that spent the first few years in the Premier love in  and are now replaced by Bournmouth,Swansea etc, etc.

Anyway it does appear for all our ups and downs weve faired better than the City of Coventry.

And for sure weve had so many better nights than them.

I work for a Coventry based company; so many of my colleagues support Cov City.

You are right about the lack of promotions in 40 years. They haven't even experienced the joy / pain of a single play off match either !

A lot of their fans are resigned to a lengthy stay down in the basement.

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

But haven't finished in the top 8 in any division for 40 years. ( feel free to challenge that)

Ok, I'll challenge it...in the last 40 years they finished 7th in the top tier in 1978, they finished 8th in the championship in 2006 and they finished 8th in league one last season...

But you're right, their relegation to the basement is sad, when they were relegated from the premier league in 2001 they had been in the top tier for 34 years...only Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal had better records at the time....

One thing really sticks in my mind, for some weird reason about when they were relegated from the Prem, whenever it was.. these fans holding up a banner "We'll be back"  like it was some sort of inevitability and probably only next season. Football has this nasty habit of being ironic over the years

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, I'll challenge it...in the last 40 years they finished 7th in the top tier in 1978, they finished 8th in the championship in 2006 and they finished 8th in league one last season...

But you're right, their relegation to the basement is sad, when they were relegated from the premier league in 2001 they had been in the top tier for 34 years...only Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal had better records at the time....

Yeah bs knew that was coming.

But the point is as fans that's it!!

Three top 10 finishes in 40 years plus.

In all the years in the top league they never looked like competing As opposed to Forest, Ipswich,Villa.

All being on a pretty level playing field .

With all our ups and downs we would rather be us yes?

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

In all the years in the top league they never looked like competing As opposed to Forest, Ipswich,Villa.

Definitely. Nothing comes close to that feeling watching us tear Bradford apart away from home to win promotion, and then going on to win the league. The shitty lows just make those highs even better

28 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

They still won the cup, when it actually seemed to matter.

Clubs like Coventry, Birmingham, Charlton and Leyton Orient are being wrecked by their owners while the EFL is indifferent.

Those who want SL out beware, these are the kinds of people who buy football clubs these days. Romantic fantasies about the club 'belonging to the fans' cut even less ice with them.

Used to live and work in Coventry and went to Highfield Road a number of times. I have always looked to see how they are getting on, and after the last few seasons I think yesterday the inevitable finally happened. Always seemed a perennial lower/mid Division 1 team when I was there. 

They may have slowly made it down to the fourth tier but we did it faster :(

Feel for their supporters. I know a few from working in the west midlands area. 

Their lease on the stadium is up at the end of next season as well. Not looking good for them at all.

Hard to say whether their owners or the chicken chasers at Blackburn win the title for worst mis management of a football club. Its a close call. Be thankful that you have an owner who is a fan even if it hasn't gone to plan for you this season. I am grateful for ours but am worried for the future if / when he loses his current battle with cancer.

2 minutes ago, redsfan said:

Feel for their supporters. I know a few from working in the west midlands area. 

Their lease on the stadium is up at the end of next season as well. Not looking good for them at all.

Hard to say whether their owners or the chicken chasers at Blackburn win the title for worst mis management of a football club. Its a close call. Be thankful that you have an owner who is a fan even if it hasn't gone to plan for you this season. I am grateful for ours but am worried for the future if / when he loses his current battle with cancer.

Steve has cancer?

They have my sympathy because they've been chronically mismanaged by SISU I really don't understand the motivation of their owners TBH and would agree about Lansdown. Yes, he can't choose managers for s**t and is a bit of an egomaniac but there are far worse owners around.

whatever Cov do, SISU will strip anything remotely sellable and invest nothing, that's why their fans have my sympathy. A decent club absolutely wrecked by unscrupulous owners.

17 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

OK mate thanks for that, hope he pulls through OK!

So do we. No idea what would happen. His son has zero interest in taking over the mantle which is fair enough.

At least we know we can't be asset stripped by some unscrupulous replacement because when he bought us out some years ago to bring us out of admin he had the good sense to separate the ground and surrounding land into a separate company which he half owns with Barnsley Council holding the other half. The downside to that, which he has found to his cost in the intervening years because he has always been a reluctant owner, is that the club is not very saleable because its only assets are the players.

1 hour ago, redsfan said:

So do we. No idea what would happen. His son has zero interest in taking over the mantle which is fair enough.

At least we know we can't be asset stripped by some unscrupulous replacement because when he bought us out some years ago to bring us out of admin he had the good sense to separate the ground and surrounding land into a separate company which he half owns with Barnsley Council holding the other half. The downside to that, which he has found to his cost in the intervening years because he has always been a reluctant owner, is that the club is not very saleable because its only assets are the players.

I hope for your and his sake he has many more years ahead of him as he seems like one of the good ones but I can understand why you`re worried about the future - I suppose it will come down in the end to how much your council values the club as a community asset. I suspect this might be favourable given how many of the town`s population are Barnsley fans and any local councillor would probably be committing political suicide to try and sell you off.

Never say never though, none of us know what`s around the corner.

2 hours ago, redsfan said:

I hope all works out for him and all you Barnsley reds, we have a prodigy in the shape of a Jon Lansdown, who does have a passion for Bristol City,very much like his Dad, knows diddly squat about football, and much like many on here, apart from Spud, and he is sulking somewhere. :P

Archived