IGNORED

Paterson or Tomlin?

JakeOTIB

Who would you rather have in the starting eleven at the moment? I would have to say Paterson since he is in very good form and it would break the flow if we dropped him for Tomlin. We've also played very well without Tomlin too... thoughts lads?

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can anyone seriously say tomlin? The guy came on yesterday and really struggled to chase the ball. A staggering substitution when we were looking solid at 2-0 with wilbs and odowda up front. I think if we get a quick striker in then that might get the best out of tomlin. But if he can't consistently play well, then I don't want him here. Not only does Paterson offer loads more in terms of tracking back, tackling, making runs and closing down. He is also doing a lot more with the ball at his feet. Beginning to look like the best permanent signing we made this season. We've been crying out for a player like pato all season. Why has he not been playing!? Crazy. 

Hang on... Yes Pato has shown good form in the last two home games and of course 2 crucial goals too and right now you would keep him in the side, BUT starting with the Cardiff Away defeat and for 3 or 4 games after Pato was shockingly poor - showing no fight, no desire, no impact.

So lets not suddenly build him up as some sort of superstar, yes he clearly has ability but big question over his attitude - which is why Florist were happy to off load him.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can anyone seriously say tomlin? The guy came on yesterday and really struggled to chase the ball. A staggering substitution when we were looking solid at 2-0 with wilbs and odowda up front. I think if we get a quick striker in then that might get the best out of tomlin. But if he can't consistently play well, then I don't want him here. Not only does Paterson offer loads more in terms of tracking back, tackling, making runs and closing down. He is also doing a lot more with the ball at his feet. Beginning to look like the best permanent signing we made this season. We've been crying out for a player like pato all season. Why has he not been playing!? Crazy. 

I hadn't really thought about then tracking back aspect. Now that I think about it, it's really useful ! Tomlin doesn't have enough pace to defend and then quickly counter, but from watching the game yesterday it's quite evident that Paterson can do it and well!

Tomlin just does not fit in to our line up. Paterson has pace and the wil to chase a ball. Unfortunately Tomlin ends up as a luxury player which is a shame. But his fitness has been under question at times. Still like him though and on his day, he is mercurial. Just wonder if his influence at times can have a negative effect on others?

Looked excellent against QPR? Never change a winning team!

Will Tomlin still be here next season? Doubt it.

4 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Tomlin just does not fit in to our line up. Paterson has pace and the wil to chase a ball. Unfortunately Tomlin ends up as a luxury player which is a shame. But his fitness has been under question at times. Still like him though and on his day, he is mercurial. Just wonder if his influence at times can have a negative effect on others?

Looked excellent against QPR? Never change a winning team!

Will Tomlin still be here next season? Doubt it.

I'm sitting on the fence with that one. If he is meant to be our 'star player' then why has he been keeping the bench warm for the past couple of games. On the other hand, he would be useful if we stick him behind the striker.

8 hours ago, Malago said:

Paterson, like Brownhill, O'Dowda, Reid etc need serious game time before we truly know how good he/they are.  Re Tomlin, I would shift him on if possible, and sign a more consistent championship proven payer in his stead.

Seriousley!? How many chances does Reid need to show he isnt anywhere near good enough?

Unfortunately, luxury players like Tomlin, seem somewhat out of place in such a competitive league as the Championship. We saw the same when Jacki was here; amazing skills with the ball but too often losing the ball to a pack of opponents.

If I genuinely believed that we would be in the top two or three next season, I'd keep him to be used when a "tin opener" is needed to break down massed defence but as we need to consolidate if we stay up, then LT is a luxury that will not benefit us.

21 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I think earlier in the season and at the end of last season he showed he was good enough.

Disagree, hes played over 100 games for us and has probably only had 7 or 8 decent games. But i guess seeing as hes academy, he can get away with being a mediocre player.

Paterson took his chance very well yesterday and does offer something a little different. 

That said, at times yesterday he was infuriating to watch. Simple passes went astray, composure in-front of goal was asking on 2 occasions (his goal aside) and he was tactically unaware when counter-attacking - especially in the 2nd half. 

I'm hoping that those are traits of being out of the first team for a while, as his attitude and passion could not be faulted and if he can improve on the basics he could be a very good player at Championship level. 

I don't think this should be Paterson or Tomlin argument it should be Taylor or Tomlin, and for me Taylor works his ass off Tomlin doesn't. Yes Tomlin probably has triple the ability of Taylor but I value work rate and will to win so much more!

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Hang on... Yes Pato has shown good form in the last two home games and of course 2 crucial goals too and right now you would keep him in the side, BUT starting with the Cardiff Away defeat and for 3 or 4 games after Pato was shockingly poor - showing no fight, no desire, no impact.

So lets not suddenly build him up as some sort of superstar, yes he clearly has ability but big question over his attitude - which is why Florist were happy to off load him.

With respect Forest are not much of barometer of footballing intelligence now are they ? 

Archived