IGNORED

Tomlin, a white elephant ?

Major Isewater

Now we all know Tomlin is an immense talent but we are seemingly playing better without him .

He doesn't give the energy and movement that others offer and I don't believe it's chance that our results have improved with 10 outfield players running their socks off instead of nine .

It is a great shame but he has incredibly become surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate .

What should we do with him ? 

Move him on , build our team around him and hope he gets his mojo back ? 

He has been a big disappointment this season. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Now we all know Tomlin is an immense talent but we are seemingly playing better without him .

He doesn't give the energy and movement that others offer and I don't believe it's chance that our results have improved with 10 outfield players running their socks off instead of nine .

It is a great shame but he has incredibly become surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate .

What should we do with him ? 

Move him on , build our team around him and hope he gets his mojo back ? 

He has been a big disappointment this season. 

It is a shame, I can't imagine him, being part of that 31 pass move for example as I think he would have tried to beat 3 men or try something outrageous. Sometimes though you need that option as well. I would say that he gives you similar options to Patterson, but judging Patterson on current form he is more consistent in his delivery. 

Unfortunately think it's going to be one of our most costly transfers. I don't think he will move on a perm this summer. Last summer he'd just reminded the whole division what he can do during his loan here and yet it was only us willing to meet BMouth's valuation. Even then it was a protracted transfer so if there was any more than slight interest from another party it would have been clear. This summer he'll be coming off the back of a shocker of a season, another falling out with a manager and his Huddersfield back-chat and perhaps outside looking in you wonder if he was fracturous in the dressing room.

My prediction is either end of the summer or in January he bombs out on loan and he then keeps getting loaned until his contract runs out.

It's not his energy and movement that has troubled me during the games I've seen him play.  Earlier in the season he was trying too hard at times - picking the ball from defenders and attempting to beat every player on the pitch.

My issue (that was evident in his brief cameo against QPR) is that he loses possession more often that not.  I applaud players prepared to take on their man but sometimes a quick, simple pass is the better option.  He doesn't seem to have that judgment.

In support of @Port Said Red's comment above, we wouldn't have kept the ball for 30 passes for the goal at Blackburn with Tomlin in the mix.  It's a shame it hasn't worked out but we're generally a better team without him.

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Unfortunately think it's going to be one of our most costly transfers. I don't think he will move on a perm this summer. Last summer he'd just reminded the whole division what he can do during his loan here and yet it was only us willing to meet BMouth's valuation. Even then it was a protracted transfer so if there was any more than slight interest from another party it would have been clear. This summer he'll be coming off the back of a shocker of a season, another falling out with a manager and his Huddersfield back-chat and perhaps outside looking in you wonder if he was fracturous in the dressing room.

My prediction is either end of the summer or in January he bombs out on loan and he then keeps getting loaned until his contract runs out.

Every pack has a couple of jokers-the summer window will be very interesting and part of me says you may well be right.

Think though that Lee will likely choose to stick,at least in the intermediate in the hope Tomlin starts sparking/links well with new players.

Just now, Thatch35 said:

All this nonsense about 30 passes, City went round in circles, then 1 pass through due to Tammy's run made the goal not the previous 29.

Whether you think it's effective or not, the video shows there were 30 passes!  My point is that Tomlin would have lost possession if he had been part of the previous 29.

15 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Are you LJ in disguise?

If LT leaves another club will utilize him in a way LJ has no idea how to. The most talented footballer (and match winner) at City for years, just a shame a div of a manager is in place.

I remember people saying similar things about JET, who has sunk without trace

34 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

All this nonsense about 30 passes, City went round in circles, then 1 pass through due to Tammy's run made the goal not the previous 29.

Obviously you wouldn't appreciate a City team stringing so many passes together as you would then be expected to do the opposite of booing!

57 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Maybe true but the previous 29 could have lulled Blackburn players into a false sense of security that nothing was going to happen. But it did when they had switched off. 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's returned from a season-long loan so they aren't able to play him for the rest of this term..

You beat me to it. Yes has returned early from Gillingham, don't know why don't think he's injured. But he is not elegable to play for anyone else, only the Gills this season. So I guess he's kicking his heels and picking up his pay cheque, yes what a waste. When you compare him to Tammy and how they have been advised and handled.....

44 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

good point. he wasnt even put on the bench by Holloway to wind us up..

That's because JET isn't eligible to play for QPR this season after he returned from his loan to Gillingham in February - the reason he can't play is because the loan agreement was for the whole season, so returning early makes no difference, he is still technically on loan at Gills...

Edit - apologies, I've just noticed others have pointed this out above...

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

There's one word that describes this post perfectly. I'll give you a clue, it starts with B and ends with ooooooooo.

PLEASE keep the same team and formation as the last four games , there is no illusion why the team is playing better and results have improved. Continuity is key to any team and players have began to play in unison with each other rather than a team of individuals. two quick forwards running the channels was always the way to go and thanks god LJ realised it just in the nick of time.

I am Tomlin's biggest fan and it was his skill that gave me something to cheer about during those crap months. sorry Lee but for now a cameo from the bench is all we need from you .

4-4-2 Taylor and Tammy to start all the time.

'WE ARE STAYING UP' :fingerscrossed:

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Maybe true but the previous 29 could have lulled Blackburn players into a false sense of security that nothing was going to happen. But it did when they had switched off. 

It moved their players around and tried to work an opening without forcing it. It was good football

Just now, richwwtk said:

Didn't Tomlin play in the 4-0 win over Huddersfield?

Whilst he's not the automatic choice for every game as we probably hoped at the start of the season, I think there's definitely a place for him in the squad.

I don`t think he`d be happy with that though, he likes to be the main man and perhaps would become disruptive if he`s not? I do hope I`m misjudging him as on his day he`s a joy to watch and can be a game changer coming off the bench.

As others have said, probably not the player for a relegation fight though - you could say exactly the same about JET, Jacki and many others down the years and it`s not his fault, it`s just not his game.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think he`d be happy with that though, he likes to be the main man and perhaps would become disruptive if he`s not?

I know it's a common perception that the skilful players are also the most difficult to manage, but I've seen nothing, unsubstantiated rumours aside, to suggest that Lee Tomlin is in any way a disruptive influence.

He even gave a public interview giving his full support to LJ at the height of the poor run, not sure how much more he can do apart from keeping his head down and keeping on working.

Just now, richwwtk said:

I know it's a common perception that the skilful players are also the most difficult to manage, but I've seen nothing, unsubstantiated rumours aside, to suggest that Lee Tomlin is in any way a disruptive influence.

He even gave a public interview giving his full support to LJ at the height of the poor run, not sure how much more he can do apart from keeping his head down and keeping on working.

I hope you`re right mate and why I said I hope I`m misjudging the bloke - nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing him tear up the championship for us next season like he did for Boro.

By all accounts, this chap cost BCFC about £3,000,000.

If correct then that is the most expensive player we paid a fee for in our history.

Would you not think we could have bought someone 'good enough' to get into the starting XI?

It may not be the players fault, as it is how players like this are managed and utilised that matters, but are BCFC a club that can afford to put £3M players on the bench?

I don't think we can - and be successful.

tfj

Archived