IGNORED

41 Years Ago Today

Gert Mare

47 minutes ago, 22A said:

At Christmas that season, when City were even further up the League, there was even talk, not just by the fans either, of finishing high enough to qualify for the UEFA Cup.

We must never again speak of playing in Europe, nor trust anyone who dares to. It's a curse.

16 years old . Bit slow getting on the pitch to celebrate but when I got home, or I should say got to the local pub. Couldn't wait to tell my Dad, who despite leanings toward the other lot watched both and happily took me down the Gate, he went straight to the bar and bought me a Flagon of Cider and we ran around the streets of BS2 (me and my mates not me and me Dad) singing City songs. 

What a night indeed.....on the pitch in front of AD and the greatest team in my years in the Williams Stand.........gone but will never forget those magic years...........East, East Eastenders :chant6ez:

52 minutes ago, the red rules said:

Went to college green afterwards. Before a group set off to celebrate at eastville, didn't get very far as broken up by the o.b. near the sweb building. So back to celebrating in the fountains

I went straight to College Green too....what a night, what a feeling....that night still fills me with pride, the memory is still so warm...what a team. 

There have been awful 'footballing' times since but memories like that make it impossible for me to ever walk away from my club....those four seasons (pizza?!) at the top were just superb! We stuffed Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd (Mabbutt3!!) etc etc...heady days! 

Then the absurd fall from grace as we tumbled through the divisions was arrested by Terry Cooper and those days from 1982 to 1988 were absolutely brilliant for different reasons, another great team that gave absolutely everything for the shirt and for a manager who cared so bloody much....

Sometimes, in low football moments, I've wished I'd been born in Madrid or Liverpool or Munich or Amsterdam so I could have experienced sustained success but then I think of Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield, I think of Glyn Riley on the East End fence, clenched fist, sweatbands and no.6 on his back, I think of Brian Tinnion sweeping those majestic cross field passes inside the full back for Scotty to run onto, I think of Martyn Hirst knocking the gas out of the FA Cup, I think of Beryl Fudge's smile when we notched a late winner away from home before she chastised me on the coach back for having a sneaky underage beer, I think of dear old Terry Cooper crying at Wembley in 1986 because he'd won us a trophy, I think of Bob Taylor winning us game after game after game, I think of Cheesley bullying centre halves into submission and being 'Shearer' before Shearer was Shearer (?!), I think of Rob Newman playing every game as though his life depended on it, I think of Paul Stevens smashing the ball home to give us a 1-0 victory in the massive game at the top of div 4 vs York City in 1983 in front of 11,000 fans and of course I think of Clive Whitehead promoting us to the very top vs Pompey....and then I'm so so glad I was born in Bristol....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I went straight to College Green too....what a night, what a feeling....that night still fills me with pride, the memory is still so warm...what a team. 

There have been awful 'footballing' times since but memories like that make it impossible for me to ever walk away from my club....those four seasons (pizza?!) at the top were just superb! We stuffed Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd (Mabbutt3!!) etc etc...heady days! 

Then the absurd fall from grace as we tumbled through the divisions was arrested by Terry Cooper and those days from 1982 to 1988 were absolutely brilliant for different reasons, another great team that gave absolutely everything for the shirt and for a manager who cared so bloody much....

Sometimes, in low football moments, I've wished I'd been born in Madrid or Liverpool or Munich or Amsterdam so I could have experienced sustained success but then I think of Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield, I think of Glyn Riley on the East End fence, clenched fist, sweatbands and no.6 on his back, I think of Brian Tinnion sweeping those majestic cross field passes inside the full back for Scotty to run onto, I think of Martyn Hirst knocking the gas out of the FA Cup, I think of Beryl Fudge's smile when we notched a late winner away from home before she chastised me on the coach back for having a sneaky underage beer, I think of dear old Terry Cooper crying at Wembley in 1986 because he'd won us a trophy, I think of Bob Taylor winning us game after game after game, I think of Cheesley bullying centre halves into submission and being 'Shearer' before Shearer was Shearer (?!), I think of Rob Newman playing every game as though his life depended on it, I think of Paul Stevens smashing the ball home to give us a 1-0 victory in the massive game at the top of div 4 vs York City in 1983 in front of 11,000 fans and of course I think of Clive Whithead promoting us to the very top vs Pompey....and then I'm so so glad I was born in Bristol....

Lovely.

Stood in front of the Dolman and even though I was only 12 I couldn't believe it had been 64years since we had been in the top division. Ran onto the pitch and still have a piece of the turf in a school book. I wrote about it the next day in English. Now it's been 37 years !!

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sometimes, in low football moments, I've wished I'd been born in Madrid or Liverpool or Munich or Amsterdam so I could have experienced sustained success but then I think of Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield, I think of Glyn Riley on the East End fence, clenched fist, sweatbands and no.6 on his back, I think of Brian Tinnion sweeping those majestic cross field passes inside the full back for Scotty to run onto, I think of Martyn Hirst knocking the gas out of the FA Cup, I think of Beryl Fudge's smile when we notched a late winner away from home before she chastised me on the coach back for having a sneaky underage beer, I think of dear old Terry Cooper crying at Wembley in 1986 because he'd won us a trophy, I think of Bob Taylor winning us game after game after game, I think of Cheesley bullying centre halves into submission and being 'Shearer' before Shearer was Shearer (?!), I think of Rob Newman playing every game as though his life depended on it, I think of Paul Stevens smashing the ball home to give us a 1-0 victory in the massive game at the top of div 4 vs York City in 1983 in front of 11,000 fans and of course I think of Clive Whithead promoting us to the very top vs Pompey....and then I'm so so glad I was born in Bristol....

terry coopers red and white army

6 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

that photo is from the Saturday after v notts county lost 2 1 iirc...........

Yes lost 2-1. I still have a vivid memory of the Portsmouth match, including the walk to the ground and the sense of anticipation. Aged 9.

Lots of similar memories to BS4 on tour's above. It's why I don't get too down about this season's challenges; there's so much more to look forward to from supporting City.

Just now, eardun said:

Yes lost 2-1. I still have a vivid memory of the Portsmouth match, including the walk to the ground and the sense of anticipation. Aged 9.

Lots of similar memories to BS4 on tour's above. It's why I don't get too down about this season's challenges; there's so much more to look forward to from supporting City.

It is all so much more exciting when you`re that age though (I was 14) and no matter what we achieve in the future the emotion won`t be as intense.

All part of growing old I guess.

I admit to normally being an optimist. However at lunch time on April 20th I was chatting with a pensioner who had been alive during City's previous stay in the 1st Division. I said "This time tomorrow we could be celebrating" He replied "Wouldn't that be marvelous"? That was when the doubts set in. Would City muck it up right at the end?

In 1976 there was only two points for a win. If it had been three points then, Bolton, not City would have gone up. WBA would still have been third, but Bolton 2nd.

The other odd thing was that in 1975 the table finished; 1 Man U, 2 Villa, 3 Norwich, 4 Sunderland, 5 City & 6 WBA. Then twelve months later  Sunderland, City & WBA finished 1, 2 & 3. I  believe that was and still is unique.

To prove football is so unpredictable, at the end of 76-77, Sunderland went straight back down, City nearly did whilst WBA finished comfortably mid table.

18 hours ago, Tiree said:

That's me in the falres! Brilliant night. THe start of the only 4 years Bristol has had a top flight team ; out of more than 200 team years. Times have changed but only one man can, IMO, get us there again.

Get behind SL, the current coaching staff and this set of players (with some strengthening) may be challenging again in the next few years

Hey you in the falres! You worked out what you got wrong there yet?

Ah, the memories come flooding back...

Packed into the Open End, squashed by a large and rather agitated crowd, and twitching with nerves. It was almost the worst thing when Whitehead scored after a few minutes as it made for the longest game after that. It was unbearable. Fans started whistling about ten minutes before the end, and loudly. The railings were covered with all the fans, ready to invade the pitch at the final whistle. But the wave of release when the ref at last blew - what a night! I also managed to scale the bars and scamper onto the pitch.

I remember the players eventually emerging in the directors' box and lit by the television lights, some half naked, others with red and white scarves and caps, most with beers in hand. It was pandemonium with all the fans going potty. I also remember the reports on the local news that included the scenes in the changing rooms, which were mad and chaotic. We only had a crappy black and white telly then, but did we really see Ray Cashley's man garden? Not that I suspect he cared much at the time, or anyone else for that matter.

Yes, the night to be a City fan above all others. The run in the First Division was fantastic too, but all too short.

Ray Cashley's Man Garden. 

Just thought I'd leave that here, maybe one of the best phrases I've read for, well, ever. I really hope you did see Ray's 'goods' on the telly, they deserve to have been networked worldwide. 

Anyway, Ray Cashley's Man Garden may well be my next forum username. Or could be a good Twitter handle perhaps, for those who subscribe to such wankery? 

All our yesterdays for sure.  In the East End, 21 at the time.  It seems so 'surreal' now. Led to some amazing seasons afterwards playing big boys and sometimes winning :clapping:

The final home game was also strange when we were beaten by Notts County. Think Don Masson scored for county, the atmosphere was party time and no one was really bothered about the result.

i just want it to happen again in my life time. I am totally confident we can get into the Premier league. The infrastructure is in place, was not before, and let's be fair we were only 90 minutes away from it a few years back. 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

All our yesterdays for sure.  In the East End, 21 at the time.  It seems so 'surreal' now. Led to some amazing seasons afterwards playing big boys and sometimes winning :clapping:

The final home game was also strange when we were beaten by Notts County. Think Don Masson scored for county, the atmosphere was party time and no one was really bothered about the result.

i just want it to happen again in my life time. I am totally confident we can get into the Premier league. The infrastructure is in place, was not before, and let's be fair we were only 90 minutes away from it a few years back. 

Masson had moved on to QPR by then.

Tristan Benjamin got their winner that day iirc.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Masson had moved on to QPR by then.

Tristan Benjamin got their winner that day iirc.

You're right; Masson did not play that day. Tristan Benjamin was the (please note - singular) substitute for Notts that day. In the programme notes, Benjamin came from St Kitts in the West Indies. He had made his League debut against City the previous season when playing for WBA. They also had Dave Smith playing in midfield. Was that the same Dave Smith who was part of City's 1990 promotion team?

Finally, proof perhaps that a settled team is a successful team? There were FOUR players who played every League, League Cup and FA Cup match that season without being substituted in ANY game; Cashley, Gow, Merrick & Tainton. Collier missed just the win at York. Drysdale missed three games and was substituted in the win at Fulham.

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

You're right; Masson did not play that day. Tristan Benjamin was the (please note - singular) substitute for Notts that day. In the programme notes, Benjamin came from St Kitts in the West Indies. He had made his League debut against City the previous season when playing for WBA. They also had Dave Smith playing in midfield. Was that the same Dave Smith who was part of City's 1990 promotion team?

Finally, proof perhaps that a settled team is a successful team? There were FOUR players who played every League, League Cup and FA Cup match that season without being substituted in ANY game; Cashley, Gow, Merrick & Tainton. Collier missed just the win at York. Drysdale missed three games and was substituted in the win at Fulham.

The sub. coming on and scoring the winner sounds about right. Pretty sure it was Benjamin.

Not the same Dave Smith, our pacy and direct winger of 89-91 would only have been 15 in '76.

I remember the Old Man shouting that Cashley's missus will be cross about that being shown on the box. Our telly was not the finest piece of technology; hence I found it difficult to actually make anything out. Now as mens' body hair goes Cashley had about a half acre, so maybe there was a modicum of decency. But who really cared? We were promoted to the First Division...

The Beatles Sgt Peppers album was recorded between 21st Nov 1966 & April 21st 1977... (released 1/6/77)

If we assume the title track was actually recorded on April 21st that makes it 50yreas ago yesterday.

According to the famous lyric... ' It was twenty years ago today Sgt Pepper taught the band to play '

..... that means yesterday was the 70th Anniversary of the birth of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band  

Congrats and thankyou Sergeant.. it was 70 Years Ago Yesterday when you taught the band to play! :clapping::thumbsup: 

(edit.. title track was recorded in Feb '67)

Anyway....

It Was Seventy Years Ago Yesterday(ish)  Sgt Pepper Taught The Band To Play ! 

& 50 years ago the Beatles laid down the track to introduce him to us. :) 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:14, ashton_fan said:

portmouth76_1.thumb.jpg.a2a14137407a47412eb5abf4a67f3ef7.jpgportsmouth76_3.thumb.jpg.956c75a4caee13ddc3d6ad50631a8b1d.jpgportsmouth76_4.thumb.jpg.e099f80426ef3c87e1aef9034e18cc2c.jpg

I was just to the right of that photo,loads of us down from Southmead,the black kiddie is Chevor and the taller lad with the red and white scarf to his right is Tommy,great memories.

Archived