IGNORED

Genuine Question

allyolly

So with it being pretty much confirmed we will be playing in the championship next season I am interested to hear what people think would be a a realistic finishing position come May 2018?

Having been someone who thinks we made the right decision to stick with LJ I wonder what the doubters and the definite LJ must go camp would need to see to from our team to think progress had been made. 

And if you can't think of anything more original than Johnson Out please don't waste your time replying. 

It is going to depend on the summer window pretty much how I feel about our chances next season. Tammy is going to be a tough one to anywhere near replace. If Tomlin is not part of our plans, then our top scorer has 5 I think at the moment!

Was really excited last summer with our business. However, when push came to shove, the ones that seem to have made the difference are players like Wright, Paterson, Taylor, to some extent Brownhill, who cost us how much of what we spent? What teams like Preston have done is only bring in players who are clearly going to improve what they have now, over a period of time. We have spent for us far to much on players that are getting no time.

I would be delighted with 60-65 points.

I think realistically we can achieve 10th-15th with Johnson. A few highs and lows throughout the season but it's to hard to say right now without knowing what the squad will look like. No Tammy, defence is still raising question marks and yes whilst Fielding has upped his game I really hope we bring in an all round top quality keeper. 

We'll have a better idea how the season will go once the next January window is closed. 

8 minutes ago, allyolly said:

So with it being pretty much confirmed we will be playing in the championship next season I am interested to hear what people think would be a a realistic finishing position come May 2018?

Having been someone who thinks we made the right decision to stick with LJ I wonder what the doubters and the definite LJ must go camp would need to see to from our team to think progress had been made. 

And if you can't think of anything more original than Johnson Out please don't waste your time replying. 

I can't remember how many points we finished on last season but this one  cannot be seen as progress , what with the amount of money spent and number of players bought, plus LJ's baffling and inept attempts at man management , team selection and tactics for most of the season. 

I was hoping for a midtable finish this season so would go for that again next season.  We are not a big club in this league no matter what some might think ( SL, LJ bigging is up )  so baby steps for me. If I'm being optimistic , midtable next season , push for play offs the following season. 

If we make the same mistakes then it's another relegation battle. 

Summer is massive. If we get off to a poor start and Lansdown puts as much faith in LJ as he has this season, and also being realistic that it is highly unlikely we will find another goal scorer like Abraham . We will be lucky to get 40 points, pretty much doing a Rotherham. Next season is already a real worry for me.

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Seriously with LJ still in charge and no Tammy, then a season long struggle against relegation awaits. Sheff.Utd & Bolton both likely to do well, so only whoever comes up from League 1 play offs likely to be going back down. So realistic finishing position 20th if we are lucky.

#JohnsonOutNow

Out of interest why do you think sheffield utd and Bolton will do well?

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Seriously with LJ still in charge and no Tammy, then a season long struggle against relegation awaits. Sheff.Utd & Bolton both likely to do well, so only whoever comes up from League 1 play offs likely to be going back down. So realistic finishing position 20th if we are lucky.

#JohnsonOutNow

Think Burton will be this seasons Rotherham if I'm honest . Other strugglers could be Bolton and the play off winners, and have a feeling Barnsley and Cardiff will struggle. For us I think mid table would be acceptable but more likely lower mid will happen.

I don't expect to make the play offs, but then again, I don't expect a relegation fight. Somewhere mid table will be nice.

I don't expect a record breaking run of defeats.

A Premier league team in one of the cups would be nice, but I do realise there is an element of chance with that.

As many have said, Preston position this year would be acceptable.

Under LJ, and with Sunderland, Boro and potentially Swansea/Hull coming down and with the Blades, Bolton and potentially Millwall/Bradford coming up, then can imagine next season being harder than this season.

IF the rumours circulating about LJ for the past few months are true, then i expect to see the likes of Tomlin/Magnusson/Hegeler/Golbourne ect moving on and Tammy not being here, and IF he is as bad a man manager as reported then think we will struggle to add any players of real championship calibre as i would be suprised if they wanted to play under LJ and his coaching team.

Can see next season being much of the same unfortunately, as i have zero faith in LJ, JM and the **** Holden. But who knows, maybe JM and Holden will be replaced with an experienced old head to help LJ.

Not sure anyone can know what to expect off the back of a bizarre season on and off the pitch

Clearly , off the pitch there has been some dramas and without knowing exactly what and what influence they had on LJ / players / on the pitch it's almost impossible to predict what may happen from here

Neither a very good or terrible start next season would surprise me and our recruitment this summer has to be right on the money IMHO for us to be more comfortable next season

Somewhere around 10th / 12th would do me , with no flirting with the bottom 3 at any point

• Admin

Lansdown has gone all in in his support of LJ so I realistically expect him to back him strongly in the Summer window. Although the loss of Tammy will be huge I expect we will go to around £6m for a replacement which brings into play people like Bamford who haven't cut it in the Prem but would do well in the Championship. Alternatively other clubs with good academy prospects will see how well Tammy has done here (& how willingly we gave him playing time) and may be inclined to lend us their bright young things.

The defence has looked a little better since Wright settled in, and if we could sign a solid RB from a mid table Championship side and the same for a goalie and we'd be looking at around £10m spent. A couple will leave for fees too (I'm looking at Tomlin and Hordur) to reduce the overall spend and we may pick up a midfielder for competition on an out of contract basis. 

On that basis I'd like to think we could target the bottom few places of the top half and I think LJ would need that to justify the faith shown in backing him. Hopefully he has learnt a lot from the adversity in this campaign and a few of our younger players are a year wiser.

Edit: maybe Lučic could be the answer in goal? I liked the little we saw of him this season and will come back with some experience of men's football.

If Lansdown is serious about premiership football then he will have to splash the cash and buy/ loan 2-3 quality players to build the team around, keeper centre mid and a new striker, wether we do or don't we should really be looking at a midtable finish or it will be another poor season.

It's a weird one. This season started with two months of play off form and seems to be ending with two months of the same. However there were 5 months of relegation form in between. If we can be consistent I reckon the top half is achievable but we need to replace Tammy and get two quality full backs, a keeper and a winger. Get the recruitment right and we could be a surprise package. Get it wrong and we could be in for a very tough season m.

If I were to guess now I would say we will be 14th or 15th. However my expectations could change dramatically over the summer.

I was in the 'Johnson Out' camp when we had the bad run but I must say I didn't want to be as I like the bloke. Now I think that SL made a bold decision and he turned out to be right. I'm really glad that LJ came through the rough patch of form and next season could be his making as a manager. Who knows though. Very fine line in the Championship when it comes to success or failure. Case of wait and see. Consolidation in the Championship would be my wish. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

I can't see how things are going to be any better. We won't have Tammy, but we will still have LJ. This season's performance from LJ wasn't a fluke as he's been the same throughout his entire managerial career. In the latest edition edition of OTIB fanzine (fantastic value at only £1.20) there is an excellent article by Dave K about LJ entitled "Rollercoater Managet". At Oldham he oversaw long periods without a win followed by good spells. One of his good spell prompted Barnsley to appoint him as manager. He started off with 4 wins, but then didn't win any of the next 9. The following season he led the club to a record 9 consecutive defeats. This was followed by a good spell which convinced SL he was a great manager!  At City, surprise surprise, we had to endure the same as Oldham and Barnsley. 

8 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

My sentiments exactly.Remember Bolton were shocking in their relegation season,we managed to put six past them so that tells you enough.

Also remember Wigan being tipped for a playoff place after winning league 1 easily, and having parachute payments still. Didn't work out well for them!

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

#JohnsonOutNow

I'm sure Wigan thought they would finish at least in the Championship, after winning promotion last season.

I strongly believe that with some new additions to the squad, and some surplus players leaving, we can have a better season than this.

Lets get this straight right now, LJ is not going anywhere else soon, so you had better get your head around that.

I'm certain that LJ and his coaching staff have learned a lot from this season. Clearly mistakes have been made, but we have shown some positive signs recently that give me hope for the future of our club.

Finishing between 10th & 14th next season would be a step in the right direction.

COYR.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That is an otiose question............:facepalm:.......as others have said, much depends on the summer dealings......

The question is as much about what those that don't currently have faith in LJ would need to see in order to gain their support as to where we will finish.

I guess there are always those who will have an irrational view that whatever he does is not good enough and we've seen that in some of the replies already. 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think if anyone could accurately answer in 

What was the change from Brentford / Preston to Post Peston

(An obvious change in attitude / approach of players is an obvious one , but why ?)

I think we could all give a far more accurate prediction 

Tomlin stopped playing?

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

Agreed, its nothing more than speculation with this season not even ended, the retain list not published, and absolutely no idea of any incomings.

As such, we only have this season to make an observation.

In my view, the form/results in the first third of this season and the last third give some cause for optimism and if we can retain our better players and get others up to speed with the championship (as LJ had done this season), plus add one or two more quality signings, we should have no problem in maintaining a top half finish.

As for Tammy leaving, I don't think it will have the effect that people are saying. He will be missed but it really doesn't matter where the goals come from and one player leaving is another players opportunity.

Agreed. 20 goal strikers are rare so you have to focus on spreading goals around more and having a much better defensive record. We got to a play-off final with a strong defence and no prolific striker.

Archived