IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

Just now, That Louie Donowa goal said:

Thought he has been quality from day one great first touch and vision. Always looking to play forward,if only Tomlin had his fitness and pace

I agree. Couldn't really understand why so many on this forum were writing him off a few months ago. 

Good signing but an absolute mystery why we haven't seen more of him.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree. Couldn't really understand why so many on this forum were writing him off a few months ago. 

Good signing but an absolute mystery why we haven't seen more of him.

Between the start of February and the start of April he played less than half an hours first team football despite being fully fit throughout.

Utterly baffling by LJ.

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'll be honest I never rated him bar the Forest home game. Glad to see him prove me wrong

Agree, I watched him as a sub at Villa and described him as a 'nothing player'. Happy to be proven totally wrong these past few weeks.

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We didn't see more of him because LJ wanted to keep tomlin in the team and him and Paterson couldn't work together as they are too similar, now we have Paterson being given freedom to roam he is playing excellently

Agreed. Major reason for our improvement but I still think Tomlin is real quality and kept us in many games where were lost. Big issue for me is Tomlin had no-one to link up with, but the addition of Taylor, Patterson has a link and they have both given us real mobility and craft in the final third. This then gives Tammy more room as well. This movement then gives Pack more target for his pinpoint balls. It is a wonderful thing to behold and I have seen some really impressive football in the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

An interesting stat re Paterson.  He's only started 14 games this season, but we've won seven of them, half of all our league wins this season.  Our record in games he has started is W7 D2 L5.

Said it when he signed-very good footballer and surprised we were gifted him by Forest..

LJ said that he looked like a £25m player in the second half against Barnsley. That must be the kiss of death. He said Reid was a £5m player and he's disappeared from the team. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

LJ said that he looked like a £25m player in the second half against Barnsley. That must be the kiss of death. He said Reid was a £5m player and he's disappeared from the team. 

First thing I thought too. He was very good though.

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Fulham away he was outstanding. But his performances dropped off fairly soon after. 

The whole team were outstanding that day, why that team never lined up together again till this day is a major reason I was a big Johnson outer(obviously freeman has left since but still from September) and that included tomlin and Patterson 

3 hours ago, That Louie Donowa goal said:

Thought he has been quality from day one great first touch and vision. Always looking to play forward,if only Tomlin had his fitness and pace

I confess I didn’t - and had thought he was a bit lightweight earlier in the season.

But he's been given the opportunity to play an aggressive goal-poaching role behind two forwards, meaning he can exploit the space they create, and he's really proved himself.

He's also super fit and gets about the pitch tirelessly. 

I'm soooooooo glad my early doubts were proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Anyone else think Tomlin will be off in the summer? 

Yes I do. IMO he has been a huge disappointment and I would expect him to go to pastures new. I know he is a maverick and brings outrageous skill/touches but he just ain't a team player.

11 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Anyone else think Tomlin will be off in the summer? 

I do, on his day brilliant but in his present form this team are better without him, IMO. I realise that class is permanent & form is temporary but he's a luxury we don't need.

I know this thread was about Paterson, but seeing as the usual suspects seem to use every opportunity to have a go at Tomlin, let's not forget Tomlin has 7 goals and 5 assists (and Gary O'Neil has 5 assists) - yes Paterson has played perhaps 50% of Tomlin's game minutes and 30% less than O'Neil, but if we ignore his last few games (where he was excellent), his goals and assists are just as comparable per minute played with the "unfit" and uninterested players some seem to despise.

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I know this thread was about Paterson, but seeing as the usual suspects seem to use every opportunity to have a go at Tomlin, let's not forget Tomlin has 7 goals and 5 assists (and Gary O'Neil has 5 assists) - yes Paterson has played perhaps 50% of Tomlin's game minutes and 30% less than O'Neil, but if we ignore his last few games (where he was excellent), his goals and assists are just as comparable per minute played with the "unfit" and uninterested players some seem to despise.

Umm why are you ignoring his last few games? Seems a bit unfair seeing as these were the games which effectively kept us in the league (i.e. much higher pressure games than ones earlier in the season where there were more points available)?

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Does that mean LJ rates Paterson 5x more valuable than the perennial youngster? Now, twice the player, I might agree, but 5x?

The Bobby Reid comparison is valid though because according to the OS he's appeared in a total of 34 games this season compared to Paterson's far lesser involvement at 22.

If LJ had given Paterson the public backing and lengthy run of appearances to find his form that he's given BR (until relatively recently) we would surely now be better off.

I suspect Reid's earlier prolonged predominance could be mostly down to the pillars and the coach wanting'having to be seen to push through an Academy product - however long ago he graduated - even when it becomes clear he's not quite up to it. It's a doubly baffling policy if game changers like Paterson are left to twiddle their thumbs in frustration for months, partly to accommodate this apparent fixation on getting Academy graduates in the 1st team whether they're genuinely the best option or not.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Does that mean LJ rates Paterson 5x more valuable than the perennial youngster? Now, twice the player, I might agree, but 5x?

The Bobby Reid comparison is valid though because according to the OS he's appeared in a total of 34 games this season compared to Paterson's far lesser involvement at 22.

If LJ had given Paterson the public backing and lengthy run of appearances to find his form that he's given BR (until relatively recently) we would surely now be better off.

I suspect Reid's earlier prolonged predominance could be mostly down to the pillars and the coach wanting'having to be seen to push through an Academy product - however long ago he graduated - even when it becomes clear he's not quite up to it. It's a doubly baffling policy if game changers like Paterson are left to twiddle their thumbs in frustration for months, partly to accommodate this apparent fixation on getting Academy graduates in the 1st team whether they're genuinely the best option or not.

Completely agree Nogbad. We all want BR to succeed as a Bristolian Academy graduate and he fits perfectly the Pillars. Ignoring such sentiment however, is why you are paid to be a manager. Tough and lonely job, but you have to have your own mind. Now LJ has experienced the terror of the last few months, maybe he will develop the toughness to make these decisions that goes with his coaching and man management.

38 minutes ago, Tiree said:

I suspect Tomlin will be on his way. Cotterill wont feature and Lj needs the type of players he now has to play his  / J.Ms style.

Hard to pinpoint the reasons (always more than one) why the great turnaround ahs happened, ie 2 defeats in 10 , both to teams we could afford to lose to and winning games we needed to like Wigan, Wolves, QPR plus not losing to Burton, Norwich nor Blackburn plus standout performances v Huddersfield, Barnsley. On the list of possibilities is Pembo leaving (harsh but possible), JMc arriving (most likely reason for sorting out FBs and midfield), playing two up top, Tammy continuing to score, Paterson's better attitude, Lj being given genuine support from SL (rather than the vdreaded vote of confidence given by bullshit owners), Tomlin's lack of effort off the ball less important by being a sub, Pack driving forward more from CM and doubtless other reasons.

Complicated game football when some people say you just score more than the oppo and that's it!!

Thoughts?

I think he finally realised that all the talent on the ball/dleivery is useless, unless you are highly mobile and energetic in this league Hegeler, Oneill, Tomlin, Cotterill all have class but at Brentford the oppo hustled and bustled us off the park.

46 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If you ignore my uncles balls he'd be my auntie

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I confess I didn’t - and had thought he was a bit lightweight earlier in the season.

But he's been given the opportunity to play an aggressive goal-poaching role behind two forwards, meaning he can exploit the space they create, and he's really proved himself.

He's also super fit and gets about the pitch tirelessly. 

I'm soooooooo glad my early doubts were proven wrong.

He he, same here. Saw nothing in him first time I saw him play. He is class and has feeling in his feets. The goals he scores is beautiful, important to have a mf who scores.

Archived