IGNORED

Wilbs leaving?

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Both Scotty and Tinman started before LJ.

I think the whole 'jobs for the boys' came in when SL took on LJ. Then Wade got the boot, along came Holden and Macca as well as another Barnsley ex coach being linked with us, and it appears to outsiders that LJ is getting all his buddies around him and employed...

Whilst it would be great to get Wilbs on board with coaching, after watching the RB interview with him a few weeks back, I think he reckons he has a few seasons still in him yet. And with his family still located up north and L1 football being a little less taxing than Champ football, i do think he'll do another season elsewhere in the lower league.

If I'm right, I hope he scores a hat trick against Rovers at the Mem for whoever he is with. Agent Wilbs reporting for duty.

Not sure if the two are buddies exactly but LJ was seen seeking Wilbs' advice on the touchline in several matches according to RB commentators.

Mind you, quite natural I suppose with Wilbs being a couple of years older than him and having had a far more successful career, including PL experience.

Little surprise then that when Championship level management seemed on the verge of overwhelming him that LJ might pick the brains of a universally respected pro. and seek his guidance in the heat of battle.

Someone for LJ to look up to in more ways than relative stature and, if he goes, no doubt his presence around the club will be sorely missed in many areas.

I think he has been a great signing, but I hope he's not here as a player next season. We've got to move on and need players who a pressing for a regular first team place. Good as he is, he won't be doing that anymore. Those on the fringe of the first team squad should be young players who can get the occasional game / sub appearance so that they can develop. 

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry , I've not quite perfected it yet .

Hi , from the swinging sixties man. 

Love not war . 

Can you tell Maggie not to take on the miners and the unions and also not to take the milk away from the kids? 

Ta muchly.

3 hours ago, MigratedRobin said:

It's a real shame that time travel hasn't been invented yet! Replacing the Wilbraham we have with a 25 year old version would be perfect.

I don't like posting bad news but time travel will never be invented because if it is to be invented then we would have had people from the future visiting us now but there have been no reports in the past couple of thousand years plus of anyone from the future ever having visited.

Having said that, there's always the possibility that anyone traveling back to the past from our future is under strict orders to only observe the past and to do nothing that can change the course of history etc. This might sound odd but if you look at the scene of King Harold copping it with the arrow in the eye on the Bayeux Tapestry, the chap viewing it third from the left I am sure I was stood next to in the East End v Ipswich Town in 1976. 

19 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I don't like posting bad news but time travel will never be invented because if it is to be invented then we would have had people from the future visiting us now but there have been no reports in the past couple of thousand years plus of anyone from the future ever having visited.

Mind. Blown.

With all due respect to Wilbs, this is a football club not a retirement home.

He's been a loyal servant and compensated duly while he's been here, many clubs wouldn't have given him the 'extra' year we did this season.

People want the club to look forward, compete and be cut throat - well unless Wilbs has a real role to play on the pitch or a real position off the pitch next season, then time to move on, with our thanks for the memories and a warm welcome whenever you're back in BS3.

2 hours ago, Bristol_South_End said:

Absolute legend, will be sorely missed.

Now look at these goals and compare them with a certain Tammy Abrahams goals this season......

Seems like the art of being in the right place at the right time has been coached/taught to our young loanee

But as he's an ex player he can't be a coach on our books :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

same thing,

I don't see how its jobs for the boys, or does that only crop up when people don't like an ex-player, you never see it mentioned about Scotty and Tinman for instance, 

The fact people wanted Joe Jordan as a coach, isn't that just jobs for the boys?,

All coaches have to start somewhere, and I'd rather we give people like Wilbs Mcalister and Wade a chance to earn their stripes with us, if they have something worthwhile to add then bring in more coaches like Wigley,

Everyone has to start somewhere

I didn't say it was jobs for the boys personally although I can how some would view it that way tbf.

Not sure how a mentor and a coach is the same thing personally, and I would expect senior pros to fulfill that role without employing a non player to do that.

I can't imagine Wilbs will want to be in Bristol next season, but he goes with my very best wishes as he's been great in my view.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Having said that, there's always the possibility that anyone traveling back to the past from our future is under strict orders to only observe the past and to do nothing that can change the course of history etc. 

That'll be UFOs. And your second point is why they don't land very often!

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Having said that, there's always the possibility that anyone traveling back to the past from our future is under strict orders to only observe the past and to do nothing that can change the course of history etc. This might sound odd but if you look at the scene of King Harold copping it with the arrow in the eye on the Bayeux Tapestry, the chap viewing it third from the left I am sure I was stood next to in the East End v Ipswich Town in 1976. 

There was a documentary a few years ago, I think Tommy Lee Jones narrated it, that explained how you can wipe peoples' memories. This is all taken care of.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

There was a documentary a few years ago, I think Tommy Lee Jones narrated it, that explained how you can wipe peoples' memories. This is all taken care of.

I saw that. Will Smith was in it too.

Told me to look at some hand-held light at the end but I blinked at the wrong moment... everyone else was stunned and then he started going on about the tv show we just watched being about a fella from Philly who moved to his Aunt's gaff? 

No idea...

6 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

When he first signed people wrote him of straight away. To old, doesn't score enough. How he proved people wrong. Been an immense player for us . On and off the pitch. Hope he gets the plaudits he deserves. Whatever happens. Wish he was 10 years younger 

I was one of them,happily to be proved wrong for once:whistle:,should  he be given a contract tho as a player for next season of course not.Backroom staff I'm not sure about either,should be the best man for the job and not because he is a good egg

Love wilbs but the idea he should automatically become a coach is not one i back. Stefan Jones, ex Somerset writes some fantastic articles about how ex pro's need to learn how to coach, spending time away from the game exploring various occupations and sports to really give back . Dare i say it almost like LJ has with his escapades.....

No issue with him coming back when he can bring fresh ideas/insights to the table.

7 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Both Scotty and Tinman started before LJ.

I think the whole 'jobs for the boys' came in when SL took on LJ. Then Wade got the boot, along came Holden and Macca as well as another Barnsley ex coach being linked with us, and it appears to outsiders that LJ is getting all his buddies around him and employed...

Whilst it would be great to get Wilbs on board with coaching, after watching the RB interview with him a few weeks back, I think he reckons he has a few seasons still in him yet. And with his family still located up north and L1 football being a little less taxing than Champ football, i do think he'll do another season elsewhere in the lower league.

If I'm right, I hope he scores a hat trick against Rovers at the Mem for whoever he is with. Agent Wilbs reporting for duty.

There were constant calls for Carey to be given a coaching job regardless of whether there was a vacancy or if he was qualified. As it was he was effectively non-playing captain for 2 years out of sentiment. I'm sure that was what SL was referring to when he said we needed to be less attached to players.

Archived