IGNORED

Our form - LJ to stay or go?

ChippenhamRed

Why would you sack a manager who is now showing he IS capable of winning games in the Championship?

Just at it would have been entirely reasonable to sack the manager after 1 win in 17, it would now seem equally ridiculous to sack him with the team in such good form - and also having shown the strength of character to recover from that mauling at Preston. In the last third of the season we have shown top 10 form, and that is enough for me to say that LJ should now be our manager at the start of next season.

It is an inconvenient truth that SL's decision to keep faith in LJ has been justified. Would a new manager likely have done better over the last 10-15 games? And with the team now playing well and demonstrating form over an extended period that is much closer to expectations, would appointing a new manager guarantee even further improvement? I don't think it would.

My opinion is he should stay.

Strange season. I wanted him gone . But he turned it around. And he will be here next season. I will get behind the club and support it . But he needs to start strong. So ye stay . Football is such a strange game. One thing is for definite I'm glad its all over . And we have a big say in other clubs season 

I still don't think he is up for the job, and fear the same mistakes will be made again next season. This season has still been a failure. That all being said he deserves massive credit for turning things around. Whether that's been luck, or judgment only time will tell I guess.

Curate's egg. Great start, shit middle, great end.

If this is his learning for greater things then I for one would want him here.

I'm a LJ fan. As a player and manager. He needs time. Two seasons on the trot he's kept us up.

Give him next season - all of it not just a few months into the season. If he ***** that up then maybe move on.

Bristol Sport and Lansdown. They can **** off ':thumbsup:

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Who would of thought keeping the same team would get team unity in the last 5 games?,good job it took Preston for lee to see it.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. It's a catch 22. With the team losing regularly he would have faced criticism for sticking with a losing formula, it's natural to make changes when you're not winning.

Edit - but I do accept he should have worked out that formula a lot sooner!

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Still have real concerns but would be complete madness to even consider replacing him right now 

No one can argue that continuity isnt good , if you can 

Still needs to be the right one - we will learn more next few months of next season

COYR

Yep,

Like Bob, I was one of the more vocal dissenters but I'm old enough and ugly enough to say 'fair play' to him. I don't know where this has come from but he's got us safe.

A long way to go before I back him but he's earned the right to stay for now.

A pity about the dreadful 5 months but the last 2 have been much more like it.

Maybe the Jamie Mac / Pembo switch has helped?

I wanted him to go because I did not believe he could turn it around. He has turned around and so of course he should be the manager at the start of next season. However, over the last month we have seen what the team can do. Given our recent results, a repeat of the three month collapse we suffered mid-season would be completely unjustifiable and indefensible. He has earned another chance but he has to do better.

Without getting carried away, LJ needs to prove it 1st 2 months of next season. IMO, he got lucky with Tammy. Don't be fooled, his goals kept us up. We would have sunk otherwise. But some say you make your own luck in life.

With potentially no Tammy and possibly no Flinty, the pressure will be on for LJ to recruit successfully. This will be pivotal in how we perform next season.

With a good start, he will have my full backing. With a bad start, then he will be gone.

Bottom line, with the start that we had we should never have ended up in the position in which we found ourselves.

I am still not totally convinced. 

We desperately need quality full backs, a bit of pace in central midfield I like Pack but his lack of pace is a big concern at this level and an apt replacement for Abraham.

We will know more by October/November time.

Also if there are dissenters in the dressing ship them out quickly.

Just now, Big Red Rich said:

All deserved mind.

Deserved - yes. Not just his own doing mind. Lansdown put him in a difficult position by not pulling the trigger and certain players just didn't want to play for him. Hopefully those players will be gone in the summer and we can all move on.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Bottom line, with the start that we had we should never have ended up in the position in which we found ourselves.

I am still not totally convinced. 

We desperately need quality full backs, a bit of pace in central midfield I like Pack but his lack of pace is a big concern at this level and an apt replacement for Abraham.

We will know more by October/November time.

Also if there are dissenters in the dressing ship them out quickly.

I would be surprised if O'Neill and Tomlin are city players in August. 

It's of no consequence.

Lee is staying.

Let's breathe a sigh of relief that this disaster of a season is over and that we have managed to just about best relegation despite turning some awful performances and setting records for losing streaks.

We go again next year and let's all hope beyond hope for an improved performance. 

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why would you sack a manager who is now showing he IS capable of winning games in the Championship?

Just at it would have been entirely reasonable to sack the manager after 1 win in 17, it would now seem equally ridiculous to sack him with the team in such good form - and also having shown the strength of character to recover from that mauling at Preston. In the last third of the season we have shown top 10 form, and that is enough for me to say that LJ should now be our manager at the start of next season.

It is an inconvenient truth that SL's decision to keep faith in LJ has been justified. Would a new manager likely have done better over the last 10-15 games? And with the team now playing well and demonstrating form over an extended period that is much closer to expectations, would appointing a new manager guarantee even further improvement? I don't think it would.

My opinion is he should stay.

Oh have a day off will you.

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Still have real concerns but would be complete madness to even consider replacing him right now 

No one can argue that continuity isnt good , if you can 

Still needs to be the right one - we will learn more next few months of next season

COYR

:yes:

Archived