IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

DT The Optimist

Extremely talented player, one of the best we have had when hes on form, but for reasons which have been spoken about on here long enough, it hasnt worked out.

I expect to see him playing for a top 8 club next season, can see someone of the Sunderland/Leeds ilk taking him and him performing well. We seem to have a knack for taking proven players from this level and dragging them down, which some fans seem to take pleasure in.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

On his day there is no doubting Tomlins a class act. He needs the right manager to play him to his strengths. Simply we do not have that manager

Give it a rest Zzzz

Lee dropped him and was brave enough to drop our big money signing, that was the turning point in our fortunes, so bitter you are. 

Just now, Mr Hankey said:

Extremely talented player, one of the best we have had when hes on form, but for reasons which have been spoken about on here long enough, it hasnt worked out.

I expect to see him playing for a top 8 club next season, can see someone of the Sunderland/Leeds ilk taking him and him performing well. We seem to have a knack for taking proven players from this level and dragging them down, which some fans seem to take pleasure in.

Yeah poor Tommo, it's all our fault. 

What other proven players at this level have we 'ruined'? We don't tend to sign stars who have been there and done it at this level. 

Contrast his application - and achievement this season - to Tammy and it makes it even poorer that his season has fizzled out the way it has. Huge question marks over his effort and motivations. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah poor Tommo, it's all our fault. 

What other proven players at this level have we 'ruined'? We don't tend to sign stars who have been there and done it at this level. 

Contrast his application - and achievement this season - to Tammy and it makes it even poorer that his season has fizzled out the way it has. Huge question marks over his effort and motivations. 

When in that post have i said "poor Tommo" and "ruined". Learn how to read you muppet.

2 hours ago, ploppy said:

Is he our best player though? Really? 

Sure you know what I mean. He can do stuff with the ball, score, passes and so on. See things that other dont see, his level of football is very high. On the other hand, when he is not in the mood, we are playing 10 men. He is one of a kind and in a relegationbattle we can not afford him in the starting eleven. Last games we played without Tomlin we got flow and worked as a unit. Interesting if we can benefit his skills next season.

10 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

When in that post have i said "poor Tommo" and "ruined". Learn how to read you muppet.

Haha can't even have a discussion without resorting to insults, sad. 

You said 'we seem to have a knack for taking proven players from this level and dragging them down' - I was just asking what other high profile proven Championship players we've dragged down. I can't think of any. 

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

When eleven men play well for City it always seems to follow that some fans think everyone else is surplus to requirements. Most seasons you play 50 odd games, if you look at the team yesterday Little, Abraham, Smith, Pack, Bryan and Patterson have all had time out injured. We need a squad, players like Tomlin who didn't play yesterday are not necessarily out of Johnson's plans. For me he is a perfect weapon to have on the bench.

He' a tool...

to have in the box .

It was quite weird yesterday when we saw the players afterwards, everyone was noticeably waiting for Tammy and Flint. Other players were coming out and signing things and having photos, it was quite noticeable to me that Tomlin was now just one our our 'normal' players, not being clambered over like he was this time last season. He looked 'ordinary', who would have thought that?

Whether this will be enough for him in the future I don't know. Every player should want to play but right now he's not fitting into our team. I agree maybe we spent too much time and effort trying to build our team around Tomlin, and didn't see until very late into the season there was another way. Perhaps we had to wait until Korey was fit, perhaps Tomlin was too big an investment to leave out? I too was delighted we had signed him but sadly he hasn't been able to deliver all the promise I thought he had.

I can't see him staying, I think he will be looking for a club to love him again, probably somewhere nearer his family. It will be interesting to see where he does go and how he does.

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

On his day there is no doubting Tomlins a class act. He needs the right manager to play him to his strengths. Simply we do not have that manager

If you need to start the description of a player with the words 'On his day', then you don't really need that player

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Give it a rest Zzzz

Lee dropped him and was brave enough to drop our big money signing, that was the turning point in our fortunes, so bitter you are. 

Why am I bitter ? Please explain your delusion.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Problem with that Tone is he wants to be centre stage / run the game and spends half his time retreating to pick the ball up off centre halves leaving the lone striker isolated

If he would accept doing his own job really well , but in , and  as part of , a team he would be a much better player IMHO

But I thought that Hegeler (remember him who is apparently a class act) or maybe Korey would fill this role.

22 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Give it a rest Zzzz

Lee only had to be "brave" with Tomlin in the first place because of his own foolish and hubristic misjudgment that he could "manage" Tomlin where others - ie, Eddie Howe - could not.

I'm pretty sure this will have served as a reality-check for Lee as to his ability and confidence, at this point in his career, to handle ("manage") certain type and level of players, and will inform our player recruitment going forward.

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 10:55, chinapig said:

Nor do Bournemouth either presumably? Must be Eddie Howe's fault. God forbid a player should take responsibility for their own performance.

Agreed, and the condition that he keeps himself in is pathetic, hes supposed to be a professional athlete.

3 hours ago, Robin Goch said:

TBH as much as I love Tommo for his undoubted ability, I would not be surprised at all to see M'Boro come back in for him and snap him up. They'll clearly have some players leaving and be able to build the team around him. 

Can't see that at all, he is just not an effort player that managers demand right now, if he can't cut it here he is looking at league 1 I would think. 

On 30/04/2017 at 12:01, 1bristolcity said:

Give it a rest Zzzz

I agree with you both to a degree. LJ isn't the type of manager to look at a player and make the most of him, he's the type of manager to mix and match until he finds something that works for him. I think that's a fair statement based on our amazing start to the season, the worst mid-season I can actually remember and then a great finish to the season.

Tomlin can be an amazing player for a team, LJ just isn't the man to bring it out of him and that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way things are. Personally, I can see Tomlin being sold and LJ bringing in more unknowns which is exactly what concerns me. We've done enough unknowns this season and it's taken LJ far too long to suss them all out, I want some known players who add to our quality, even if it means the chequebook coming out.

On 30/04/2017 at 14:08, RedM said:

It was quite weird yesterday when we saw the players afterwards, everyone was noticeably waiting for Tammy and Flint. Other players were coming out and signing things and having photos, it was quite noticeable to me that Tomlin was now just one our our 'normal' players, not being clambered over like he was this time last season. He looked 'ordinary', who would have thought that?

Whether this will be enough for him in the future I don't know. Every player should want to play but right now he's not fitting into our team. I agree maybe we spent too much time and effort trying to build our team around Tomlin, and didn't see until very late into the season there was another way. Perhaps we had to wait until Korey was fit, perhaps Tomlin was too big an investment to leave out? I too was delighted we had signed him but sadly he hasn't been able to deliver all the promise I thought he had.

I can't see him staying, I think he will be looking for a club to love him again, probably somewhere nearer his family. It will be interesting to see where he does go and how he does.

I may be mistaken,but doesn't Tomlin live two hours drive(or thereabouts) from Bristol??-to do that twice a day(before/after training) fairly regularly will not help physically or mentally long term-not looking for excuses but that would become a drag..

Tomlin's problem is he believes his own hype. We possibly fuelled it in the way as a club and as a fan base we seemed to go begging. 

He came here on loan and had a point to prove. He thought he proved it and tjidnleft him infallable, and that was wrong. 

I dare say his next club may, for the time being, see the LT we did on loan as he again has insecurities 

Frankly I think we need to cut our losses on this one. Just get him out. Attitude is wrong and could spread like .. 

For all his talents, I think the only clubs to touch him now would be.thse ehi habitually battle to stay in this league. 

JET could have been so much but never was because he didn't want it. LT could have been so much but hasnt because he's a dick is the impression I get. 

Archived