IGNORED

35th minute on Sunday (Merged)

JBFC II

A Birmingham City fan suffered a stroke against Huddersfield and sadly passed away a few hours after the game on Saturday.

They are doing a minutes applause in the 35th minute for him on Sunday so I thought I'd share this on here so we can join in.

It shows just how fragile life really is and as a football community we need to support one another in times like this imo

Here is my problem.

With 20,000 or so average crowd, representing two teams with a much bigger fan base than that, over the period between games it is likely big fans of either club will sadly die. I get that in some cases there may be exceptional circumstances that mean we want to remember somebody in particular, but I am wondering if this is just starting to go a little far?

Up to Birmingham fans what they do I guess, and will not disrespect it, but this does seem to be becoming a regular 'thing'. 

For what it is worth, I know a club in Germany I think it is, that has a minutes applause during the first and last home games, to remember all those who can no longer attend, and to welcome them as it where to the new season. I am in favour of that kind of approach, and we could all take a minute to remember who we chose.

I cringe at every minutes silence just in case someone yells out farts or the like, All for showing respect and remembering those who have passed on, but not sure a football match, in the heat of battle is the right place, what if in the middle of the applause do you concede or score? 

:pray::chant6ez:

At Brighton, a lady sang Abide with Me and pictures of those who had passed were displayed on the big screen. I thought it was really touching to see fellow football fans (young and old) who weren't able to enjoy their team's promotion to the Prem, in person.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Beginning or end of season before game starts to remember those who have died.

It's a league match with maybe a lot riding on it for Brum. During the game is not an appropriate time.

Agreed...and didn't there used to be an announcement at the match nearest Christmas about remembering supporters who were no longer with us? I'm sure people will feel differently, and I respect that but personally speaking many of the people who first took me or joined me at matches are now gone and it didn't seem necessary for anyone to have to applaud for a minute to recognise their passing, it's been enough to know that they're there in spirit. By contrast I think the passing of a club legend like Gerry Gow, someone who everyone came along to watch and about whom everyone was aware, is something that should be publicly marked.

No disrespect to the Birmingham fan and I'm sure many City will join in but how about a minutes applause in the 9th minute for Tammy and a loud rendition of " there's only one Tammy Abraham" as he wears the number 9 shirt for us for the last time

When someone dies at a football match regardless of the circumstance, age or team they have gone to support, it is one of the few times all football fans should join together. Several away teams have already had the decency to join in applause for our departed fans this season.

The ask is a bit of gentle clapping. You don't need to give cash, blood or one of your kidneys.

It is of course your choice but I have made mine. I will clap.

I always find this minute applause difficult when it's for another clubs fan. 

Obviouly it always a tradegy when someone dies at such a young age and his family must be devastated but he wasn't  a guy that I knew nor was he Bristol City a fan.

I'll have no problem with an minuets applause at the 35th min but I probably won't  join in.

Best wishes to the fan's friends and family.  And I lived in Brum for 3 years and loved it there.  If that's what Brum want, let's do the classy thing. If you don't want to join in, then don't.  But it costs us nothing and wins us some love to respect their wishes.

11 hours ago, walnutroof said:

To be fair if i've read this right the guy died watching his team not sitting at home so deserves some recognition in my opinion 

I did like the way Brighton did it on saturday as it was a classy way of remembering those who are sadly no longer with us 

Agree 100% on both counts 

I didn't realise at first, but he went to the match last week like thousands of us did and died at the match. There's just something a bit closer to home about that.

Thought Brightons way of remembering all those who've been lost during the season was very moving. I hope we can look at doing that, especially now we have the big screens.

Lastly, just read the message from the Birmingham fans above: the guy had a Birmingham tattoo on one arm and a City tattoo on the other.....what's not to respect!! What's the significance of that number plate though?

I've just read a touching story about a life long Birmingham supporter by the name of Mark Gaines. Mark suffered a stroke during their last match & sadly never recovered. Fellow fans are trying to organise a minutes applause on the 35th minute, it would be a nice touch if city fans could join in, after all, rivalry shouldn't come into the equation when it comes to a families personal tragedy.

COYR's lets show some heart.

On 5/2/2017 at 01:18, Mad Cyril said:

When someone dies at a football match regardless of the circumstance, age or team they have gone to support, it is one of the few times all football fans should join together. Several away teams have already had the decency to join in applause for our departed fans this season.

The ask is a bit of gentle clapping. You don't need to give cash, blood or one of your kidneys.

It is of course your choice but I have made mine. I will clap.

Are you going to start clapping at 34'01" or 35'01"?

On 5/2/2017 at 10:39, italian dave said:

Agree 100% on both counts 

I didn't realise at first, but he went to the match last week like thousands of us did and died at the match. There's just something a bit closer to home about that.

Thought Brightons way of remembering all those who've been lost during the season was very moving. I hope we can look at doing that, especially now we have the big screens.

Lastly, just read the message from the Birmingham fans above: the guy had a Birmingham tattoo on one arm and a City tattoo on the other.....what's not to respect!! What's the significance of that number plate though?

M681KRO

I assume the M is for his forename, Mark, and the KRO relates to the Birmingham 'anthem', Keep Right On to the end of the road.

• Admin
4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

M681KRO

I assume the M is for his forename, Mark, and the KRO relates to the Birmingham 'anthem', Keep Right On to the end of the road.

Exactly that -  there are a few KRO - SOTV, similar to our COYR etc

Archived